Moparts

YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!??

Posted By: Magnumguy

YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/01/12 09:32 PM

I've seen this discussed before, but who/where/etc can you get your correct paint for your car in a spraycan?

Thanks!
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/01/12 09:35 PM

Car Quest for one.

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/01/12 09:38 PM

My local parts store can (US Parts) but can't match or find the code. I have the code, but it doesn't show in their books.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/01/12 09:50 PM

I could ask my buddy at Car Quest to see if he has a listing for your car. What is it?

Then maybe you could give it to your guys and hope it's good number?
Posted By: hp383

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/01/12 09:52 PM

Do you have an Auto Body Supply store in town? They should be able to get it, or if they have a spectrometer they can actually use the gun to match the paint to the car (provided you bring the car).

I used this method to match the scoop to my hood on a 76 Fury Sport. I had the original code, but the years of fade, etc. no longer matched the "code" mixed paint.
Posted By: cal_gecko

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/01/12 09:54 PM

I know that when I went to the local auto body supply shop and gave them my code (GY3), they were not able to find it.. it ended up coming up as just "Y3" .. might wanna have them try removing a letter from your code...
Posted By: 71GRANCOUPE

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/01/12 10:06 PM

I used Paint Scratch - http://www.paintscratch.com/

It was a good match -- got paint in spray can and touch up bottle.
Posted By: Road_RunnerSteve

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/01/12 10:52 PM

We've used Tower Paint before. Great match, great stuff.

http://www.apstowerpaint.com/
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/02/12 01:55 AM

check around locally. I've found mail order paint can't compete cost wise with local paint after the mail delivery cost is factored in.

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/02/12 02:41 AM

Quote:

I could ask my buddy at Car Quest to see if he has a listing for your car. What is it?

Then maybe you could give it to your guys and hope it's good number?

1981 Cordoba TD2, light heather grey (but looks beige to me)
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/02/12 02:43 AM

I went to my local Car Quest and they wanted 40 bucks to make me a 12 spray can of blue for my 68 Bee. I bought some on line with shipping for a lot less.
Posted By: codfish

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/02/12 03:27 AM

Here in Canada, I got mine at the local Auto Electric place. Deal mainly in, you guessed it, auto electrical stuff, but also sells auto paints.

$19 per can. Single stage obviously. But was a perfect match, and worked well in the trunk area and on my extra set of steelies.

codfish
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/02/12 04:44 AM

Totally Auto sells it. Although the B7 I got from them wasn't an exact match and was mainly good for the undercarriage, fenderwells, and the trunk areas.

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/02/12 11:51 AM

Quote:

I know that when I went to the local auto body supply shop and gave them my code (GY3), they were not able to find it.. it ended up coming up as just "Y3" .. might wanna have them try removing a letter from your code...

They spend 1/2 hour with me trying to find even anything close. Can't say they didn't try.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/02/12 11:59 AM

Paintscratch.com.
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/02/12 02:23 PM

most napa stores mix paint,TD2 does not sound like a paint code
Posted By: herkamer

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/02/12 03:23 PM

https://www.carpaintonline.com/paints-byoem.php?OEMCode=td2

These guys seem to have just about every factory color available to mix. Haven't used them but the prices are pretty reasonable.

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/02/12 04:13 PM

Quote:

most napa stores mix paint,TD2 does not sound like a paint code

Paint chip chart and on the car.
Posted By: 71GRANCOUPE

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/02/12 06:28 PM

http://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/makepaint2.cgi does list TD2 for 81 Chrysler.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/02/12 07:02 PM

funny but if you go to a hobby shop you can find some of the re-vammped high-impact colors. The Sub-Lime is pretty dang close not sure about the B5.
Posted By: QuickDodge

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/02/12 10:12 PM

If a guy has several things to paint, it may be better to buy a quart of paint and then put it in one of the prevail sprayers avaiable from hardware stores. I've been told they work well with auto paint. In fact I think that's even mentioned on the package or advertisement.

I've used the Prevail sprayers for spraying all kinds of small projects. They work well, if the paint is reduced enough. (Thick paint doesn't work well!)

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/29/12 07:16 PM

Thanks y'all
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/31/12 06:28 AM

Wish i would have seen this thread this morning. I had to go back to Canadian Tire to get a couple cans o Tremclad 'Fire Red' to match my FE5 rally red on the Challenger. It seems a decent enough match, especially since the paint on my car is so ruined no one could tell what it was supposed to look like... but the thought ov being able to match my horribly faded/patina'd FE5 is tempting. As it is i'm going to have one terribly faded car, two pretty much faded steel rims and two very bright and shiny steel rims. Ugh.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: YOUR PAINT BY CODE ~ IN A SPRAY CAN!!?? - 05/31/12 06:52 AM

A lot of the larger auto paint store have a system takes a pic of the color. The pic goes into a computer and the computer matches the pait. This system also corrects for the fading over the years. The best way for this system to work is to buff an area for the best results..
© 2024 Moparts Forums