Moparts

basic ignition question

Posted By: RonaldV

basic ignition question - 04/28/12 08:20 PM

In a recent mopar muscle article they said the ballast resistor isnt needed on electonic ignition and you could take it out of the picture. There are no points to burn out and the coil will handle it esecially if you get a aftermarket one. Has anyone done this? your thoughts? It would be nice not haveing to worry about the resistor. Engine would benefit from hotter spark all the time also.

Is there a good how to site on converting points over to electronic without buying the MP kit?? I already have the pieces just need to know how to wire it up.

Thanks

68 fish
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: basic ignition question - 04/28/12 08:26 PM

Do you have the harness ? Also the coil is what dictates a ballast or not , GM's had a coil lead that was a resistance wire .

The wiring diagram to wire up the MP electronic is in the tech archive.

what box do you have ?
Posted By: CHRGR69

Re: basic ignition question - 04/28/12 08:33 PM

Quote:

In a recent mopar muscle article they said the ballast resistor isnt needed on electonic ignition and you could take it out of the picture. There are no points to burn out and the coil will handle it esecially if you get a aftermarket one. Has anyone done this? your thoughts? It would be nice not haveing to worry about the resistor. Engine would benefit from hotter spark all the time also.

Is there a good how to site on converting points over to electronic without buying the MP kit?? I already have the pieces just need to know how to wire it up.

Thanks

68 fish

Check out my post https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post7182484
Seems like we are looking for the same thing...no ballast!
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: basic ignition question - 04/28/12 10:20 PM

I've used the mopar electronic ignitions for over 20 years. I usually use stock coils. I've allways used a jumper wire to eliminate the ballast. I've never had a problem. My local speed shop has been setting up mopar ignitions since they came out this way. I prefer the chrome box and blue constant output regulator.
Posted By: RonaldV

Re: basic ignition question - 05/25/12 11:13 PM

ive got a orange ECU new that I would use. I would be using pieces from an old salvaged wire harness. I read a mopar muscle mag. article that said you could take out the resistor on electronic ignition without any problems. Seems like the thing to do if its not needed. But, if so why did the factory keep the resistor in the system when they went to electronic ignition??

Fish
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: basic ignition question - 05/28/12 05:45 AM

so the coil doesnt burn up
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: basic ignition question - 05/28/12 08:51 AM

I've burnt up a coil by bypassing the ballast. The ballast resistor is there to limit current flow through the coil. Different coils will require a differently rated ballast resistor, with some not requiring one at all. The aftermarket spark boxes like msd and similar all have current limiting circuits in them so you don't run a ballast with those.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: basic ignition question - 05/28/12 01:21 PM

with an orange box ECU you should still use a ballast. with an over-the-counter autozone coil you should also still use a ballast.
Posted By: can.al

Re: basic ignition question - 05/28/12 01:43 PM

..well you can run without an oil filter and air cleaner too, but you wouldn't.
i found a spark plug wire pulled off (the boot was still on)
and the engine still ran fine.
you have plenty with 9v at the coil.
the more things you run maxed out the more problems you will have.
© 2024 Moparts Forums