Moparts

Thermostat housings keep leaking

Posted By: Von

Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/27/08 04:31 AM

I keep having a problem with leaking thermostat housings. I started out with a stock housing, sealed it probably 6 different times, different brand gaskets, different sealers, no help. Bought a MP chrome housing, still leaks. Not a bad leak, but weeps water out.

Anybody else have a similar problem? Any tips to keep this thing from leaking?

I have a chinese made aluminum WP housing. Kinda seems like the holes for the thermostat housing are a hair too close together. Maybe that is the problem?

Any help?
Posted By: manymopars

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/27/08 04:55 AM

I have the same problem on my 67 R/T.I tried 3 different stock housings,and one replacement steel one from a local auto parts store.My car has the stock cast iron water pump housing.I have tried sand blasting the gasket surfaces prior to assembling them,also checked the thermostat housings for uneven gasket surfaces.Also made sure that the bolts were not bottoming out prematurely.All this and it still leaks.The only other thing I can think of, might be the gasket mating surface on the water pump housing itself.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/27/08 04:57 AM

Overpriced Mancini Billet housing cured mine. Chrome one leaked for me too.
Posted By: DZJim

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/27/08 06:07 AM

Probably not the housing(s). If the mating surfaces are really flat, smooth, clean, and dry and you put a new gasket between them and torque the screws to the correct value, it will not leak. You can even omit the gasket and use a thin smear of RTV and will not leak. You don't even need any "sealer" if the parts fit right; just a dry gasket.

Check for warps, waves, knicks, scratches, hairline cracks, pinholes, old gasket/sealer material, etc. Magnifying glass and big wide sharp wood chisel and razor blade scraper works for me.

I have a chinese "Four Seasons" cast iron one on my 318. Heavy and ugly, but it don't leak and it would crack before I could overtighten and distort it.

My $0.02
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/27/08 10:58 AM

the chrome housings rarely SEAL. mine and many others have not, stock replacement works fine here.
Posted By: repad

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/27/08 11:45 AM

I fixed the problem by taking a large flat file and working the waterpump housing mating surface. The warped area will show up as the file will take the high area down first. Then take the tstat housing surface and work it on a sheet of sandpaper laid on a flat surface. As ithers have said, do not use the chrome as it does not seal.
Posted By: AdamR

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/27/08 12:06 PM

Quote:

I fixed the problem by taking a large flat file and working the waterpump housing mating surface. The warped area will show up as the file will take the high area down first. Then take the tstat housing surface and work it on a sheet of sandpaper laid on a flat surface. As ithers have said, do not use the chrome as it does not seal.

Posted By: 71mopardude

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/27/08 12:23 PM

had the same problem with my small block , then my friend told me about permatex product called "right stuff" so i figured id try it since ive tried 4 thermostat housings anyways it worked no leaks!!!! and for only 8 bucks woohooo
Posted By: Junky

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/27/08 01:56 PM

Got a thin sheet of cork gasket material and made my own. Works much better than the paper gasket. Fixed the leaking.
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/27/08 02:10 PM

Take that POS chrome housing & throw it as far away as you can...
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/27/08 02:24 PM

I take a wide flat file to it on the WP housing and the thermo housing

file till nice and smooth then it seals

the chrome one will seal after removing the chrome from the sealing surface

done this on old used headers that would not seal also

I have done the cyl head at the exhast ports by hand file when I had the engine out,like said you can see the high spots when the file is a workin

have hit all the flats on a few carb bases on alum intakes to make sure they are flat while I am doing the thermo surface

just dont take to much off the thermo housing,it needs some of the recesed lip/groove to let the thermostat be pinched inbetween the two surfaces

2 gackets and indian head gasket shelac has work before also

Posted By: fastnos

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/27/08 02:38 PM

One last thing you might check. If your bolts that hold the housing down are threaded all the way thru to the water passage, you need to put sealer on those bolt threads. Not all holes are threaded all the way thru. Some are just blind holes. I've had about 50/50 on most S/B intakes going all the way thru. YMMV.
Posted By: Hemi_Ram

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/27/08 03:17 PM

This has been a sore subject with me in the past; have tried the chrome and stock housings and they leaked. Finally after ensuring the water pump housing was true I purchased a billet thermo housing from Mancini; no leaks so far. I know for a fact that the chrome thermo housings warp as I have trued them up many times. Just my 2 cents.

Attached picture 4775391-EngineCompartment;68RR010.JPG
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/27/08 07:17 PM

Von, w/ what most everybody here has already told you. I had a chrome one that leaked like crazy no matter what I did to it. I tried a few different stock ones I had here and they all eventually started leaking no matter how I sealed it. I tried it w/ and w/o gaskets, w/ and w/o silicone, etc. I finally bought the billet piece from Mancini and finally NO MORE LEAKS!!
CHIP
Posted By: ahy

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/28/08 01:46 AM

The chrome water necks warp and leak. I tried truing mine up on a belt sander and it sealed for a while and leaked again.

Use a iron or billet piece and check flatness of the water neck and WP first. The easy check is to put the two cleaned parts together and check for rocking and/or gaps. File or belt sand to correct as needed.

With a good billet or iron neck, flat surfaces and correct torque it should seal with a gasket. Some sealer is insurance - I used the old hardening Permatex #1 type. Too much torque will warp the water neck and cause a leak.
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/28/08 02:31 AM

Another vote for the Mancini Billet unit...I had mine powdercoated engine color and its perfect so far..
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/28/08 03:27 AM

http://www.440source.com/waternecks.htm
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/28/08 04:51 AM

and,.......you just might be overtightening them and warping 'em.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/28/08 09:54 AM

Quote:

I had mine off 4 times this year and reused the gasket each time without goop. No leaks

wood

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/28/08 04:03 PM

Quote:

All good info!!! Thanks!!

What is the torque supposed to be on the water neck housing?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/28/08 04:09 PM

I draw file the wp housing(intake if SB) & the stat housing even if new, stock gasket, permatex #2 in the tube. no leaks.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/28/08 05:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I had mine off 4 times this year and reused the gasket each time without goop. No leaks

wood

My chrome housing isnt leaking. i bought it back in the 90's some time and found it sitting in a box of parts I had. I put it on the motor a few months ago and its not leaking. just used the gasket from the fel pro gasket kit and some orange p-tex
Posted By: Sub95

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/28/08 05:22 PM

Just throw the gasket/o-ring out and use ulta black rtv ( easy clean up ). or use the Right stuff ( not as easy to clean up ) if you have to take it apart ever. both work fine for this, just let it dry say for a hour before filling.

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/28/08 05:30 PM

Checked the chrome housing and it was warped big time. Filed it down and it is pretty dang close to flat, at the least.

The WP housing seemed to be flat, so I just hit it a few strokes.

I do believe the problem may lie with the bolt holes in the WP housing. They looked to have been drilled too close together, hence the severe warping. I dremeled out the holes in the thermostat housing a hair and the bolts go in much easier.

We shall see if it works.
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/28/08 06:31 PM

Never had a problem using master silicone sealer and no gasket and I have changed the thermo several times a year to keep the engine as close as I can to 185-200 dergrees when racing. Simple thing to remember if there is dirt or oil it will leak, if it is below 60 the housing will not seal as silicone does not set up well or at all at lower tempsIf you want it to set put a light bulb on the manifold for 1- 2 minutes that will generally do th trick if its cold I wave a propane torch over the man- housing and then apply remember the heat! on the fingers
Posted By: GwaiiEagle

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/28/08 07:19 PM

Okay, I am no heavyweight on this BBS, but,

I had the same thing.

After many re and re's it turned out to be the amount of crap that had collected at the bottom of the housing bolt holes.

Crap would not let the bolts snug down enough.

Crazy, I know, but try it.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/28/08 11:51 PM

I went with a napa housing...heavy metal item...
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/29/08 12:03 AM

Quote:

I went with a napa housing...heavy metal item...

is this the cast iron peice?
I have been looking for a few of these, would be nice if I could get them at NAPA
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/29/08 01:29 AM

NAPA has a catalog with an illustrations section showing a bunch of different ones in cast iron and aluminum. I've used them before on custom applications.

Rick
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Thermostat housings keep leaking - 10/29/08 01:50 AM

Thanx rick
© 2024 Moparts Forums