Moparts

360 Torque Monster build

Posted By: MOPARS6768

360 Torque Monster build - 10/26/08 03:29 PM

I am going to build a 360 for my 85 W350 Crew Cab. It has a 727/np205/dana60 4.10gears and 33" tires. I have 2 complete 360 engines one has a 71 cast date that is a standard bore 2bbl truck engine. The other is an 86 cast date 4bbl truck engine. I plan to build the 71. I have been looking for a reliable combination that produces good power at low RPM and runs on pump gas. I was looking at the 360 torque monster build in the tech archives http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/smallblock/8.html. My question is how would this combination work if I used 360 heads that already have the larger valves? What is the advantage of the 302 heads is it the smaller combustion chambers produce more compression? I have a set of 915 heads on the 71, I'm not sure whats on the 86 and might be able to get a set of 308's. I plan on about 9.1 to 9.5 compression so it will have no problem running on pump gas. If any one has any other good 360 truck builds please post them This is my first engine build and I am trying to learn as much as possible.
Thanks, Brian
Posted By: AdamR

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/26/08 04:13 PM

The 302s have smaller ports that will help with torque and throttle response but limit the motors rpm range.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/26/08 05:24 PM

I have built several tq oriented 360s if I was doiong another one I would use a 360 with KB107 pistons at zero deck. Get magnum heads with just a touch of port work and a 30 degree back cut on the valves. They will make more hp and tq then even the 302 heads. To get the 302 to the same amount of flow as a magnum they need a ton of work and the chamber is just plain better in the magnum witch helps tq even more. Either have the bolt holes redrilled to use LA intakes or get a RPM air gap intake for the mag heads. Use a comp XE262 cam or a similar Voo-Doo cam. Use a felpro .039 thick head gasket. You will end up around 10 to one compression and it will run fine on pump gas because the magnum chamber is so good.

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/26/08 06:53 PM

Thanks for the replys
hotroddave40, I have been thinking about the magnum swap. What exactly needs to be done to get magnum heads to work with my LA block? I am trying to keep this a low cost build but want to do it once and do it right. I have an Edelbrock LD340 but if I bought another intake I would get the RPM air gap. For carbs I have a 600CFM Edelbrock #1406 and a 600CFM Holley #1850. With the magnum heads and an XE262 will either of these carbs work or would I be better off going with something a little bigger? Thanks for the help

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/26/08 08:01 PM

Since you have it already I would use the eddy. It is a good carb for that set up. You will need pushrods for the conversion from mopar performance and you will need the rockers and if you want to use your LD340 (good choice) you need to have the intake bolt holes re-drilled.

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/26/08 08:14 PM

Thanks again I appreciate the help
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/27/08 03:44 AM

I read the article in the tech archives, and they were using the Mopar P4452757 cam that specs out with 248/256 advertised duration and 0.410"/0.425" lift 110 LSA. That is a very mild and nearly stock cam. A stock 360 cam specs are 252/265 duration and 0.410"/0.412" lift.

The stock 318 engine in my 1986 W150 has the MoPar P4452759 cam, 260/268 duration, 0.430"/0.450" lift and it run pretty good.

My first 360 RV engine was built around 1979, and it was a basic 0.030" over with 9:1 compression flat top pistons, reconditioned stock heads, a mild Crower Baja Beast cam (I think it was about 210 duration @ 0.050".) That engine had headers, dual exhaust, a Holley street dominator single plane and a Holly 600 DP carb. That engine performed very good, and it semed to pull well from idle to 5,000 RPM.

I just freshned up another 360 I built a few years back. The engine used the KB232 Quench dome pistons for about 9.5:1 compression, AeroHead 360 heads with the 2.02"/1.60" valves and hardened seats. I did a mild porting job on the heads too. Originally I had a Hughes HE0914AL Cam (I think 208/215 duration @ 0.050?) and the recommended single springs/retainers.
The engine used the standard Edelbrock Performer intake that was gasket matched to the 360 port size, and at the time I was running an Edelbrock 625 cfm AFB carb. This engine ran pretty good too, but I wanted more power so when I fresheded up the engine (re-ring, new bearings, etc.) I installed the Hughes HEH1523AL cam that specs out at 215/223 duration @ 0.050", 112 LSA, and 0.501"/0.539" lift using Crane 1.6:1 rocker arms.
I also installed a Holley 670cfm Truck avenger carb, and Crane HI-6 ignition. Once I got the carb tuned the engine was running very strong.

If I built another 360, I would probbably just use a flat top piston like the Speed-Pro H116CP.
The KB232 takes too much machine work, having to narrow pin width on the rods to 1", and mill the block and heads to get the correct quench.
I think I would also use the magnum style heads.
The magnum heads require rocker arm oiling through the pushrods, but that is no a big deal.
That Hughes HEH1523AL cam is really nice for torque and performance, but if you want torque and economy you may want a slightly smaller cam.

Attached picture 4774874-IMG_0109_76.jpg
Posted By: pishta

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/27/08 04:18 AM

How about an easy bolt on for an otherwise stock motor, an Edelbrock SP2P intake, pencil sized runners, will pull a trailer at idle and will never see the sunny side of 4000 RPM.

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/27/08 12:16 PM

Thanks for the replys I am starting to lean towards the magnum head swap. Are all the magnum heads from 93-03 the same? Is there any difference between the 360 and 318 magnum heads. I have a quite few junkyards around that have trucks with magnum engines.
Thans, Brian
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/27/08 12:55 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the replys I am starting to lean towards the magnum head swap. Are all the magnum heads from 93-03 the same? Is there any difference between the 360 and 318 magnum heads. I have a quite few junkyards around that have trucks with magnum engines.
Thans, Brian

All the Magnum heads are the same from the different years, motors, and castings.

Same size ports, values, and combusation chambers

However certain years were less like to crack then others a common problem in magnum heads.

I don't remeber the years but the 318 heads were less likely to be cracked.
Posted By: bnichols

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/27/08 08:46 PM

or you could buy my 360 listed in the small block for sale section that would work great for your application and the price i am asking you can't build the motor for that and it is fresh never fired yet!! just a thought brett
Posted By: Magnum

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/28/08 04:36 AM

Quote:

I have a quite few junkyards around that have trucks with magnum engines.
Thans, Brian

For the dollars involved. I would just grab the whole Magnum engine. Convert it to run a fuel pump and carb and call it a day. They have the torque you are looking for.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/28/08 04:44 AM

Besides when you by the heads off you get to see the cracks and then you wonder if you should by new heads. Put a 4" stoke crank in with no more than 9to1 comp and go,don't get too caught up in the hype of quench or trying to run more comp than what will work in the REAL world.

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/28/08 12:16 PM

I was thinking I might be better off buying a whole magnum engine but was leaning towards the head swap because I already have 2 360 LA engines
Thanks, Brian
Posted By: patrick

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/28/08 12:44 PM

if you don't plan on revving much past 4000 RPM either the mag or 302 heads will fit the bill...both will make about the same torque, the mags will pull to 5k-5500 RPM with a decent cam to make more HP.

for pistons, I'd use KB107's or sealed power H116CP's at 0 deck...with the closed chambered heads, you're looking at ~10.6:1 comp. I'd polish the chambers and knock off any sharp corners on the piston face to reduce the chance of hot spots/detonation. 302 heads, I'd just get a good 5 angle VJ, if you get into swapping valves out, I'd just go magnums.

if you go magnums, check out the enginequest mag heads from CMEngines.com. they quoted me a good price earlier this year. I'd have them set them up with OEM valves, 5 angfle valve job with the throat of the bowl 80-85% the valve diameter, and OEM GM 3.1/3.4/3.5L springs/retainers set up at about 1.67" IH. the 318B's are drilled with an LA intake pattern, I'd get those, and use an eddie performer intake and a tquad or Qjet.

for a cam, I'd look at the voodoo 60401 (302 head w/1.5 rockers)) or comp XE256 (mag head with 1.6's) with that amount of compression. I think you'd be fine on pump 93, maybe even pump 89 with one of these cams and have a boat load of torque & great throttle response.

one advantage of the mag engine is you get the ability to use a hydraulic roller cheaply.
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/28/08 01:15 PM

Quote:

if you go magnums, check out the enginequest mag heads from CMEngines.com. they quoted me a good price earlier this year. I'd have them set them up with OEM valves, 5 angfle valve job with the throat of the bowl 80-85% the valve diameter, and OEM GM 3.1/3.4/3.5L springs/retainers set up at about 1.67" IH. the 318B's are drilled with an LA intake pattern

I'd put some Engine Quest heads on there. They are new, cheap, and the quality of the cast is better then the factory heads. Here is an article on putting magnum heads on the LA block:

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/smallblock/7.html
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/28/08 09:19 PM

I guess on a "tight budget" means different things to different people. Does not head porting- even in the mild form add $$$$? To me a nice torquey truck engine on my budget would be good round cyl bores and a piston to give a true 9- 9.5:1 comp. A short block like this with some sound 1.88int 1.60 exh LA heads (hardened seat era) a modern mild Comp extreme energy cam, a Performer (not RPM) or action plus intake, 600cfm carb and dual exhaust w/cheapie headers or even manifolds would be much much better than an oem smog 360 that originally came in that truck- and would not be expensive. The LD340 and Perf RPM would be a waste to use on a truck. These are 6000rpm plus manifolds and would be better suited to hot street/strip rather than towing. Especially considering the rarity and value of the LD340.

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/28/08 10:07 PM

Everyones budget and results they would be happy with are different. For a torque engine that WILL run on pump gas 10to 1 comp isn't going to work, a dual pattern cam is a poor idea and more cubes is the best choice if you really want torque and pump gas in a truck. Magnum heads on a stock LA 360 is fine,if you don't waste lots of time finding a set that are usable,a stock or 252 high energy cam is a fine choice.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/28/08 10:16 PM

I've seen 10:1 work on pump gas but the quench was correct(.035-040)

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/28/08 11:33 PM

I've seen 10 to 1 work fine on pump gas without quench,whats the point? Without all the details it has no point.

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/28/08 11:40 PM

I should not have provoked an argument. My bad.

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/28/08 11:49 PM

I'm sorry,no need to feel bad. Lot's of things are possible and I've tried alot along the years but when giving advise to someone I would rather give advice that works 100% of the time than info that has much less chance of success. If this combo was for a 3000lb car I might suggest something different.For fuel I'd guess the poster would like not to be locked into buying 91(or better) octane fuel,but thats a guess on my part. Again no offence intended.

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/28/08 11:53 PM

we're good

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/29/08 12:45 AM

I appreciate all of the input I have alot of different options to look at now. At the local pick a part yard I know thier are a couple Rams vans and dakotas with 318 magnum engines I dont remember seeing any 360's last time I was there. I have heard that they are prone to crack around the valve seats are there any other problem areas? I'm hoping to get down thier this week and see if there is anything worth taking. What is a fair price for a junk yard set of magnums?
Posted By: racealittle

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/29/08 01:03 AM

I paid $350 for a complete 1999 5.9 Magnum from a Dakota R/T, in running condition. It has 80,000 miles, no sign of blowby, some coking on the inside, a full quantity of slippery dark oil in the pan, the full serpentine setup less A/C compressor and the magnum exhaust manifolds. I bought an airgap style polished intake used for $100. The rest of the package will come from the original LA 360 in the car and some new gaskets. That's my definition of on a budget. Hopefully it will be the equivolant of a 300 hp magnum crate when it's complete. Why pay for machining when it's still good?

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/29/08 01:11 AM

New hemis are 10.5 compression 205 thermostats and run fine on 87 octane with very short duration cams and brittle pistons. Magnums have better chamber and being stuck on 91+ octane is not a big deal. More compression means more efficency and makes up the differance in price. I would shoot for 10 to 1 with magnums and that is conservative. The LD 340 runs out of steam at 6500 on a 340 and a touch less on a 360 if you had a regular performer you would shift the power down a tad but really not much. It will start makeing power around 2000 where even factory converters are just stalling any how. Get a small tube longest length you can find or some early magnum ex manifolds.

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/30/08 07:21 AM

I just don't have a comeback for the logic in that!
Posted By: dgc333

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/30/08 11:59 AM

Just as a point of reference to how good the magnum head is;

I have a LA360 block with KB107 pistons at zero deck, an 0.039" thick head gasket and magnum heads which cc'd at 64. This gives me a static compression ratio of 10.6:1. I am using a Comp XE268H cam (224/230 @ 0.050, .509/.512, 110). With this cam I have 180-195 psi of cranking pressure.

I run the engine on 89 octane and in a pinch I have used 87 but have to be careful getting on it below 3000 rpm.

The engine pulls strong from 1500 rpm and runs out of steam just over 6500 rpm and I cruise in 4th of an A833OD/3.55/27" combo at 1300-1400 rpm. It accelerates away smoothly and cleanly. Based on 1/4 mile trap speeds I am making about 370HP with this engine and Comps Cam quest estimates the power at 410 HP.

This is in a 68 Barracuda that weights about 3600 lbs with me in it.

For a torque monster one of the smaller Comp XE cams or euivalent Voodoos would be the hot ticket but they will raise the cranking pressure to. Maybe enough to warrant starting with a slightly lower static compression ratio. Keith Black has a step dish piston just for the magnum head that will allow you to maintain the tight quench of zero deck on the closed side of the chamber with a dish area under the plug and valves for lower compression.
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/30/08 01:58 PM

Quote:

New hemis are 10.5 compression 205 thermostats and run fine on 87 octane with very short duration cams and brittle pistons.

That probably has more to do with having aluminum heads and advanced ignition/timing controls than anything else. I would pay money to see that kind of a setup not detonate on a carbed motor.

Quote:

I would shoot for 10 to 1 with magnums and that is conservative.

10:1 on an iron headed motor with a short duration grunt cam is NOT conservative.

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/30/08 04:14 PM

I have a 10 to 1 318 with a factory 273 2bbl cam and it has a 195 t-stat 2.76 gears LU trans and it does not ping on 89 octane even under a load going up big mountain passes and a 6x12 enclosed trailer. With slightly bigger cam, 180 t-stat and better chambers than even my heads (302s) have he will be fine. I have a thermo quad carb set very lean and uncoated headers putting off a lot of under hood heat too boot and have knocked down a best of 29 mpg with this car. Higher compression equals higher engine efficency from thermal expansion rates being higher and higher compression gets more exhaust out to make a less diluted intake charge and by squeezing the mix tighter it burns faster (DUH) and will do more work on the piston instead of continueing to burn as it goes out the ex valve. This is the reasoning that you need to get through your thick skull. You will get higher miledge from higher compression assumeing you don't get the dome in the way of a fast complete burn, that is why flat top pistons are better than dishes or domes. And that is how higher efficency of the higher compression makes up the 20 cents differance in a gallon.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/30/08 04:38 PM

Here again the guy has the LD340. Why spend the money for another intake when this one will work fine. Sure it has a little higher RPM rating and performance but there is nothing wrong with its low end performance either.
As for in the first post the poster also states that he is thinking of putting on an Airgap in lieu of the LD340. No point in that, there is so little difference in performance (if any) that the swap out would be money down the drain.
Very probably get the best low end out of the OEM cast iron intake of the standard Performer which is not much more than an aluminum version of the cast manifold.

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/30/08 04:44 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry,no need to feel bad. Lot's of things are possible and I've tried alot along the years but when giving advise to someone I would rather give advice that works 100% of the time than info that has much less chance of success.

No way you are going to give advice that will work 100% of the time. You aren't God. None of use can or will claim to be 100%. We all do our best but but in no way can we be as you claim, 100%..

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/30/08 06:52 PM

The point is it's the combo! It doesn't mean a thing that you could get away with something if everything falls into place,I know from experience,not reading a magazine and false assumtions. The poster is putting this in a truck! Not a much lighter A body. I don't think Spending the higher price for 91 octane is at all logical for the application. I built 360's with near 11 to 1 comp using magnum heads in the mid 90's and yes I agree they will tolerate slightly more comp I won't tell someone building for THIS APPLICATION that it's the smartest thing to do,Period.
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/30/08 07:08 PM

Quote:

This is the reasoning that you need to get through your thick skull.

So my skull is thick now huh?

Ohh give it up. You're telling a guy, a first time builder mind you, to build a motor on the butt end of detonation for a work truck. Something that can go from driving empty, to the extreme of hauling a tandem axle car trailer with a loaded bed. I doubt he wants to have to pull timing out of the motor every time he needs to pull something or gets crap gas. This is an iron headed carbed motor he wants to build. Not a current gen hemi with aluminum heads and a computer that can automatically pull timing out when it senses the motor starting to knock.

And I stand by my statement that 10:1 in a, iron headed, carbed, small cam motor is not on the conservative side.

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/30/08 07:10 PM

If anyone has the skill to build carbon fiber intake manifolds please get it touch with me. I can design what I need but have no experience with the constrution of. Thanks

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/30/08 07:57 PM

Quote:

The point is it's the combo!

BINGO
Quote:

I know from experience,not reading a magazine and false assumtions.

I am speaking from experience also - dating back into the mid sixties and forward to present.
You don't need a bunch of compression or a lot of $$$ in a 360 to make it work and work very well. Been there many times. A realtively stock LA360 can be made to pull real well and still be a very dependable daily driver without a bunch of high tech workings. A stock low compression engine and stock heads will work good along with good RV type cam with valve springs to go with it, intake and carb and good free flowing exhaust system will do wonders and not have to mortgage the farm to do it.

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/30/08 08:02 PM

I've also been hanging out under the hood since 1969 and my comments aren't directed at you. Seems there are alot of good people on moparts trying to give good advice,again my message to the original poster is don't get caught up it out tricking yourself,this is easy to get right or easy to get a headache.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/30/08 09:05 PM

I think if your pushing over 160+ cranking cylinder pressure you may be pushing the limits for pump fuel on an older iron headed engine?

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/30/08 10:15 PM

Lot's of factors come into the picture,the cranking number is just a part of the picture. I've run alot more with open chamber heads without issue,but without the whole picture I'd be wrong to tell everyone to run 190cranking and you'll never have a problem,or compare my combo to any late mode engine would be a real waste of peoples time. JMHO.
Posted By: feets

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/30/08 10:38 PM

A stock 5.9 Magnum IS the 300 hp 360 crate motor. Check the part numbers. Cam, crank, heads, and everythign else is the same. Add your own intake and go.

Get a 5.9 Magnum. Add a carbed intake and electric fuel pump. Hit the road.

If you want a little more pulling power, you can swap to an RV type cam but that's optional.

If you really want torque, swap in a real 5.9 (read: Cummins) and drag all the gassers sideways.

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/30/08 10:57 PM

Quote:

I think if your pushing over 160+ cranking cylinder pressure you may be pushing the limits for pump fuel on an older iron headed engine?

This is a fairly acurate statement. And people who insist on useing old outdated openchamber iron heads will always be saddled with this. Why for the differance in price would any one use regular old J heads X heads or something when you can use a magnum style head for only a tad more. Same with pistons. Why leave 50-75 lbs of tq on the table since you need heads and pistons any how? And a good combo of KB 107 pistons and magnum heads can easily add that over stock low comp 360 pistons and open chamber heads. Plus you will get better miledge so why saddle him with old information? My first engine that was anything not totally stock was a 360 KB 107 combo with 302 heads that I heavily ported lightly milled and ran in my 68 dart. The only problem I had with detonation was the fact I left very sharp corners on the pointy thing in the middle of the chamber, I had to pull the head back off grind that thing down and it was fine. The magnum don't have that thing and has a way better chamber so he should be more than safe.

Also someone mentioned putting a carb intake on a JY 5.9 that is a good idea as far as simplicity goes. It will make more power than the 300 hp crate motor because the stock cams are actually bigger than the 300 hp cam. Also of interest is how those 300 crate motors always seem to make more than 300hp even with 318 manifolds. People never give the magnum heads the credit they are really due.

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/30/08 11:26 PM

Quote:

why saddle him with old information?

Just pointing out that a good torquey rig can be made with what he has on hand without having to invest in much of anything other than a cam and valve springs, including his stock cast iron 4 barrel intake by just freshing what he has with a set of pistons if needed. The 1.88 valves will work just fine for that application. the larger 2.02 valves can in fact not be a benefit on a lower RPM engine of this type. If he is like some of us working with limited funds it may help him out to know these things. It seems that it is real easy to spend someone else's money here . 'Nough said.

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/30/08 11:51 PM

"This is a fairly acurate statement. And people who insist on useing old outdated openchamber iron heads will always be saddled with this. Why for the differance in price would any one use regular old J heads X heads or something when you can use a magnum style head for only a tad more. Same with pistons. Why leave 50-75 lbs of tq on the table since you need heads and pistons any how? And a good combo of KB 107 pistons and magnum heads can easily add that over stock low comp 360 pistons and open chamber heads. Plus you will get better miledge so why saddle him with old information? My first engine that was anything not totally stock was a 360 KB 107 combo with 302 heads that I heavily ported lightly milled and ran in my 68 dart. The only problem I had with detonation was the fact I left very sharp corners on the pointy thing in the middle of the chamber, I had to pull the head back off grind that thing down and it was fine. The magnum don't have that thing and has a way better chamber so he should be more than safe.

Also someone mentioned putting a carb intake on a JY 5.9 that is a good idea as far as simplicity goes. It will make more power than the 300 hp crate motor because the stock cams are actually bigger than the 300 hp cam. Also of interest is how those 300 crate motors always seem to make more than 300hp even with 318 manifolds. People never give the magnum heads the credit they are really due". WOW thats good info I now have my soft drink running out of my nose. Thanks alot.
Posted By: moper

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/30/08 11:58 PM

All kinds of info here. What's in my truck is an 87 360, with 80K miles. It has an XE262, performer (small port 318/360), factory original 308 heads with matching springs, cheap headers, and an Edelbrock 750 AFB. Basic, easy, pulls from idle, runs on 87, I dont ever see the high side of 4500, nevermind 5+, and it will spin the 31s w/4.10s all thru first gear. With a running engine to start with, I think all of it cost me about $900. That's what i'd do. It's a truck. It needs torque, and mileage.
Posted By: patrick

Re: 360 Torque Monster build - 10/31/08 12:41 PM

Quote:

All kinds of info here. What's in my truck is an 87 360, with 80K miles. It has an XE262, performer (small port 318/360), factory original 308 heads with matching springs, cheap headers, and an Edelbrock 750 AFB. Basic, easy, pulls from idle, runs on 87, I dont ever see the high side of 4500, nevermind 5+, and it will spin the 31s w/4.10s all thru first gear. With a running engine to start with, I think all of it cost me about $900. That's what i'd do. It's a truck. It needs torque, and mileage.

similar to the combo in my car, but I've got an eddie RPM air gap and a 600. it is a good combo, but for a truck I'd back the cam down to a 208-212 .050 duration, like a voodoo 60400 or 60401.
© 2024 Moparts Forums