Moparts

Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right???

Posted By: Hoop

Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/12/12 12:04 AM

My edelbrock kickdown & throttle cable stell ant right, if I drive with a lead foot, it douse fine, but if I pull out slow, it don't seem too smooth, so I would like to see some pics of how you guys with a-bodys have got your kickdown & throttle cable set up!

hears a pic of how mine is set up!

Attached picture 7161101-kickdown001.jpg
Posted By: 440abody

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/12/12 12:34 AM

There are a couple of ways to approach this. One: it looks like you have a factory kick-down set up. Find yourself a factory service manual and adjust the linkage properly. But the linkage on the transmisson, and the carb need to have the proper throw ratio to be able to work together. If you have a lever on the transmission from a van, and the one from your a-body on the carb for example the throw ratio will not be correct, and getting it to work can be a real challenge. Or option two:Call Bouchillion Performance and order their kick-down kit and fix the problem for good.
Posted By: Lee446

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/12/12 12:47 AM

Can't tell, it does not look like you have the linkage adapter from Edelbrock on your carb, if you don't have it, the geometry will be wrong.

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/12/12 12:56 AM

I do have Edelbrock Throttle Lever Adapter thats not on it, but don't see how it all would hook up, so if someone is running that setup, pics would help!...& I would like to see pics of the other ways you guys have it setup!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edelbrock-1481-T...830&vxp=mtr
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/12/12 12:57 AM

Quote:

Can't tell, it does not look like you have the linkage adapter from Edelbrock on your carb, if you don't have it, the geometry will be wrong.

winner, looks like it might be a 2bbl kick down setup too

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/13/12 06:28 PM

I would say it is too, do you think I might ort to tray to find a 4bbl small block setup?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/13/12 06:31 PM

Quote:

I do have Edelbrock Throttle Lever Adapter thats not on it, but don't see how it all would hook up, so if someone is running that setup, pics would help!...& I would like to see pics of the other ways you guys have it setup!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Edelbrock-1481-T...830&vxp=mtr

Here is a picture I stole from another

Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/13/12 06:49 PM

One post per problem please.

I have no idea what my bracket was for originally, but I made it work.

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/13/12 07:00 PM

Mmm, I'm thinkin the stude should be aginst the back of the kick down, because with my old set up it was smooth & good for everday driven for 7 years like that, but I was not geting full throttle!
hears a pic of my old setup!

Attached picture 7163484-IM003949.jpg

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/13/12 07:16 PM

Challenger 1, I don't know if johnRR or who broght up one of my old post from last year, but this is the new one!
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/13/12 07:19 PM

Yep, you'll want to get the correct edelbrock adapter.

And, the slot in the kickdown MUST be held against the throttle studs at all times (by that long spring). If you have a gap there right now, that's your problem.

When you push the throttle open, the lever must move immediately with it. The long slot is so if the kickdown linkage binds up, the throttle can still close (before things get exciting ).

When I did my 4bbl conversion I had to extend the linkage about an inch so I had enough adjustment to keep it against the throttle stud.

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/13/12 07:46 PM

Quote:

Challenger 1, I don't know if johnRR or who broght up one of my old post from last year, but this is the new one!

I did not look at the dates, my bad. I hope you get it squared away this time.

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/13/12 08:52 PM

Quote:

My edelbrock kickdown & throttle cable stell ant right, if I drive with a lead foot, it douse fine, but if I pull out slow, it don't seem too smooth, so I would like to see some pics of how you guys with a-bodys have got your kickdown & throttle cable set up!

hears a pic of how mine is set up!

You still never install the ebrock adapter bracket , it's never going to be right without it , the spot you have it is higher than stock and the ratio for the trans lever movement is wrong .

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/13/12 08:56 PM

Quote:

Someone else posted to that thread and brought it to the top then the post was deleted , but that keeps it highlighted at the top...

When I opened it earlier I didn't look at the dates but it's been almost a year and you never installed the ebrock adapter ????

Posted By: Secret Chimp

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/13/12 11:46 PM

It may be the "wrong" way to do it, but when I installed my 4 barrel I just bent the original throttle and kickdown bracket until the throttle cable aligned right and bought a 2 dollar coupler nut and cut the head off of a bolt to extend the kickdown rod. Edelbrock sells the latter piece as some kind of an adapter for $15, mine looks exactly the same.
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/14/12 05:57 AM

This makes it sooo much easier

Attached picture 7164240-SAM_3658.JPG

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/14/12 02:10 PM

Quote:

I would say it is too, do you think I might ort to tray to find a 4bbl small block setup?

Either get the correct 4bbl kickdown or the cable kickdown from Bouchillion
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/14/12 07:42 PM

Quote:

Hmmm
That looks like a G.M. throttle valve cable to me.

My 4 bbl. is a Holley but I just added a curved slotted bar from a /6 and it works great.

Attached picture 7164677-linkage.jpg

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/14/12 08:19 PM

you guys need to quit showing him non-A body setups

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/14/12 10:00 PM

Quote:

nevermind incorrectly operating cobble jobs ...

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/15/12 04:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

nevermind incorrectly operating cobble jobs ...

He ain't gonna get it right if y'all are showing him the wrong setup.

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/18/12 04:43 AM

Quote:

Yep, you'll want to get the correct edelbrock adapter.

And, the slot in the kickdown MUST be held against the throttle studs at all times (by that long spring). If you have a gap there right now, that's your problem.

When you push the throttle open, the lever must move immediately with it. The long slot is so if the kickdown linkage binds up, the throttle can still close (before things get exciting ).

When I did my 4bbl conversion I had to extend the linkage about an inch so I had enough adjustment to keep it against the throttle stud.

yep, mine douse have a pinkey gap!

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/18/12 04:58 AM

Ok, I know what I haft to do to get the rod right, now I just got to finger out wear to put the throttle cable at when I get the adapter bracket on!

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/18/12 05:08 AM

Quote:

Ok, I know what I haft to do to get the rod right, now I just got to finger out wear to put the throttle cable at when I get the adapter bracket on!

On the stock stud that you install on the adaptor bracket that you need to connect the trans linkage ... this isn't rocket science .

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/18/12 05:29 AM

ok, if thats wear the throttle cable post to go, then I may not have a stock stud, I may haft to get a smaller stud for it, because it well not fit on thear!

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/18/12 11:43 AM

Quote:

ok, if thats wear the throttle cable post to go, then I may not have a stock stud, I may haft to get a smaller stud for it, because it well not fit on thear!

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/22/12 03:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

x2 ....

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/28/12 04:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm
That looks like a G.M. throttle valve cable to me.

My 4 bbl. is a Holley but I just added a curved slotted bar from a /6 and it works great.

it could be gm, I don't think the throttle cable is the stock one, it seems too long to me!
I did get time to change it around today, but it, drives smooth, but steel likes some getting full throttle & I am goin haft to adjust some more on the kickdown to get the passing gear to work!

Also the throttle cable would not go on the stud because it had a nut in it that I had to take out to put it on the stud!

Attached picture 7182646-throttl3.jpg

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/28/12 04:52 AM

Attached picture 7182648-trottle2.jpg

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/28/12 04:56 AM

close up of throttle cable end befour I got the rest hooked up, just incase it helps!

Attached picture 7182652-trottle1.jpg

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 04/28/12 05:04 AM

that is how it is supposed to be connected .

Look at the top bellcrank and you will see a hole in the bracket bolted to the engine and a hole in the part the linkage connects to , that is for a pin , use a drill bit , think the size is 3/16 , then adjust the rod to the carb so it is against that stud , and adjust the down rod from that linkage you pin so the trans lever is full forward , this is the initial setting .

Re: Edelbrock carb & kickdown throttle cable ant right??? - 05/06/12 06:07 AM

thanks everbody for the pics, they helped, I just now got to keep adjusten on the kickdown to get the passing gear to work!... Got the throttle close to full throttle, I had to move the throttle cable back as far as I could to wear I steel could get the bracket tighten, now it likes very little getting full throttle!

Attached picture 7194267-kdownclose.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums