Moparts

How to move a 70 Charger with locked steering column...

Posted By: Blakcharger440

How to move a 70 Charger with locked steering column... - 10/25/08 12:56 PM

I need to move a 70 charger I just brought into the garage. The problem is that the steering column is locked and I dont have a key.....I need to make several turns to get it into the garage!

How can I get the steering column unlocked or get the wheels to turn???

There is probably an obvious answer to this problem that I am overlooking.
Posted By: 72challorange

Re: How to move a 70 Charger with locked steering column... - 10/25/08 01:21 PM

Use a set of wheel dollies for now or a good sized floor jack.

Tom
Posted By: repad

Re: How to move a 70 Charger with locked steering column... - 10/25/08 01:23 PM

You could replace the ignition switch or, get a set of wheel dollys, then roll the car where ever you like.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: How to move a 70 Charger with locked steering column... - 10/25/08 01:31 PM

replacing the ing switch is a PITA. I'd vote for dollies. I have a spare column w/ key if you are intrested. It needs all new wires but it's black and in decent shape.
Posted By: 70dart360

Re: How to move a 70 Charger with locked steering column... - 10/25/08 01:54 PM

I move them around with a floor jack all the time, just jack it up and pull the jack to either side and push.
Posted By: hemi_harvester

Re: How to move a 70 Charger with locked steering column... - 10/25/08 01:59 PM

IT you don't care about the column you can jerk the steering wheel hard and it will turn past the lock it works put it will wear YOU out doing it. Some are more loose than others.

OR take the column out and careful put vise grips on the steering box

OR unbolt the tie rod ends and you can KICK the wheels any way you want..

Posted By: JDMopar

Re: How to move a 70 Charger with locked steering column... - 10/25/08 04:17 PM

The 2 easiest ways are to just knock the roll pin out of the steering coupler, remove 3 bolts and 2 nuts and take the steering column completely out. Then turn the wheels by hand. The other way is to take the passenger side door lock out, and take it to a locksmith and get a key made.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: How to move a 70 Charger with locked steering column... - 10/25/08 05:26 PM

Is it a floor shift car ??? If so the the 70 has the steering colum lock rod you could just disconnect and spin to disengauge the steering column lock.....No key needed to just steer it around...
Posted By: Blakcharger440

Re: How to move a 70 Charger with locked steering column... - 10/25/08 08:18 PM

The car is on a rock driveway so I could not use a dolly....I should have mentioned that. I ended up disconnecting the steering column from the box and turned the wheels by hand since there is no engine or trans and it was easy to do. Thanks guys!
© 2024 Moparts Forums