Moparts

Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge?

Posted By: Secret Chimp

Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 03/31/12 10:06 PM

Awhile ago when I first installed my Carter AVS, I had an off-the-line stumble that ended up being mostly solved by going back to the original rubber accelerator pump.

I'm still having a problem with a very light throttle surge at very low RPM, with the rpm audibly wavering up and down just a bit unless I give it more gas when cruising at around 25-35. Today I tried opening up the idle mixture screws another 3/4 turn each and it didn't make a difference. Before I sent my whole dizzy off to FBO I tried fiddling with the vacuum advance and it didn't really change anything.

I've read some people recommend a couple of small holes in the throttle blades to allow the idle circuit to work better - would this be a good thing to try it if seems to be free of any misbehavior everywhere else in the driving range? If I try getting the engine warm and then turning down the idle as far as can in drive and it seems better, might this be a solution?

I've also read about drilling out the idle compensators, but I don't want to go buying a set of wee drill bits and yet another gasket set for this thing if I can do something simpler first.
Posted By: rbstroker

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 03/31/12 10:12 PM

Was everything good before changing the carb? Any other changes whatsoever? What engine?

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 03/31/12 10:22 PM

Yes, this only happened after changing the carb. This is for my 318 wagon in my sig.
Posted By: Ply72rr

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 03/31/12 11:24 PM

Are you running vacuum advance? If so try disconecting the hose from the distributor(plug hose so no vacuum leak) and test drive. Sometimes too much advance will cause a surge. If this cures the surge you may be able to adjust the vacuum advance with a allen wrench.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 03/31/12 11:29 PM

You are lean....
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 03/31/12 11:36 PM

I agree lean and to fix this properly you need some smaller diameter metering rods.
Posted By: topside

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 03/31/12 11:39 PM

Assuming timing & fuel pressure are good, no restrictions in fuel lines:
Metering rods as HemiRick says
More jet
Less timing

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 03/31/12 11:42 PM

Couldn't I be lean in just the idle circuit though? This doesn't happen unless I'm just within the first crack of the throttle to maintain speed on a slight grade in town. Everywhere else it doesn't stumble or surge at all.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 04/01/12 12:32 AM

enlarge the idle feed tube orifice in the primary clusters.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 04/01/12 06:37 AM

If the jetting is correct, try a different step-up spring.
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 04/01/12 12:14 PM

last time my dart did that it was because it was lean on the primary side of the carb. i ended up going two sizes fatter on the primaries and it straightened right out. only thing i changed at the time was the exhaust system.
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 04/01/12 12:49 PM

Quote:

Couldn't I be lean in just the idle circuit though? This doesn't happen unless I'm just within the first crack of the throttle to maintain speed on a slight grade in town. Everywhere else it doesn't stumble or surge at all.

Since you are driving down the road when it's happening, the carburetor is now using the primary jetting. Try going one step larger on the primary jets and the lean surge should go away.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 04/01/12 02:43 PM

What is your engine vacuum at idle , you may need to change the step up springs on the primary jets to a lighter spring.

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 04/01/12 07:10 PM

In drive it's around 12.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 04/01/12 08:06 PM

next larger jet(s) in your strip kit. a .003" larger jet is a much richer change than a .003" smaller rod

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 04/01/12 08:51 PM

Quote:

In drive it's around 12.

What spring do you have in the primary wells ? Do you have the B rock tuning kit with jets rods and springs ? or just the spring kit ? What carb is this the one you got off ebarf ?

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 04/01/12 09:19 PM

Quote:

i guess you folks don't understand this, .

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 04/02/12 03:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

He is using a factory stock 440 carb on his 318 , I'd change the step springs before modifying things , but that's me ...

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 04/02/12 04:17 AM

It's a Carter AVS 4966S. I haven't touched any of the internals, including the springs. If nobody previously changed the primary jetting, it has .089 primaries with .066/.063/.058 metering rods. I'm not sure if Edelbrock springs work with the long AVS metering rods or if I'd need to convert to Edelbrock jets and rods (and use flat covers) first.

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 04/02/12 04:54 AM

Quote:

It's a Carter AVS 4966S. I haven't touched any of the internals, including the springs. If nobody previously changed the primary jetting, it has .089 primaries with .066/.063/.058 metering rods. I'm not sure if Edelbrock springs work with the long AVS metering rods or if I'd need to convert to Edelbrock jets and rods (and use flat covers) first.

ebrock springs should work , travel is limited by the cap , it has to be right for the number of steps on the rod .

With 12 you are below stock vacuum , so trying a spring change to one for that rated vacuum would be a good idea .

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 04/02/12 02:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He is using a factory stock 440 carb on his 318 , I'd change the step springs before modifying things , but that's me ...

i know, but why would you go after the main metering for an off idle problem?
Posted By: VL21

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 04/02/12 02:35 PM

This is just a shot in the dark, have had it before.
Are you running a vacuum advance? If so, do you have it connected to ported or manifold vacuum source?
I have had manifold vacuum under light or no throttle advance the timing so far it would cause something like your symptoms.
Just a thought.

Re: Whats my next step for solving my light-throttle surge? - 04/02/12 02:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i know, but why would you go after the main metering for an off idle problem?

It doesn't sound like an off idle problem to me , but what do I know

© 2024 Moparts Forums