Moparts

Do mopar horns go bad and how to test?

Posted By: MoparKansas

Do mopar horns go bad and how to test? - 03/29/12 04:19 AM

I have two different sets of horns that would fit on my Challenger and out of the four none work when hooked up to a battery. Are stock mopar horns known for going bad? Is there a different way you should test them? Is there any way to repair them?
Posted By: MOBodyman

Re: Do mopar horns go bad and how to test? - 03/29/12 05:39 AM

I always test them by hooking direct to the battery also. I've had to replace a lot of horns on various cars over the years, even fairly late models, so they do go bad.
I even bought a new purple Road Runner horn that won't work. Too bad I didn't try it when I first bought it, I'd had it about 4 years when I finally got around to using it. Kind of late to ask for a refund.
I haven't figured out how to repair them.
Dallas
Posted By: bigtail

Re: Do mopar horns go bad and how to test? - 03/29/12 05:44 AM

There was a post on here recently where a guy washed his and got water in them. Long story short, it is very, very easy to take them apart and sand the contacts inside. there is really not that much to them. They are very simple.
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: Do mopar horns go bad and how to test? - 03/29/12 03:47 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0&gonew=1
Posted By: drew72

Re: Do mopar horns go bad and how to test? - 03/29/12 11:22 PM

Are you sure you have a good ground?
Posted By: therocks

Re: Do mopar horns go bad and how to test? - 03/30/12 11:53 AM

Ive found that if you tap them and use direct batt they will usually start to work.Some you also have to adjust the screw on them.Ive also shot some WD 40 into some and then tap on them.Rocky

Re: Do mopar horns go bad and how to test? - 03/30/12 04:05 PM

I put the screw for the mounting braket on the negative terminal and then a test light to the positive terminal and the light lit up, but no horn. So it was making a connection... I think I'll try some PB blaster and if that doesn't work tear them apart as in the link. Thanks all.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Do mopar horns go bad and how to test? - 03/30/12 04:11 PM

Instead of the test light try just using a piece of wire.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Do mopar horns go bad and how to test? - 03/30/12 04:51 PM

Quote:

and out of the four none work when hooked up to a battery. Is there a different way you should test them?

If it has a small tone adjusting knob on the side turn it slightly back and forth from center
Posted By: Reggie

Re: Do mopar horns go bad and how to test? - 03/30/12 10:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

and out of the four none work when hooked up to a battery. Is there a different way you should test them?

If it has a small tone adjusting knob on the side turn it slightly back and forth from center

That has worked for me before too.
Posted By: moretoys

Re: Do mopar horns go bad and how to test? - 03/31/12 04:58 PM

Quote:

I put the screw for the mounting braket on the negative terminal and then a test light to the positive terminal and the light lit up, but no horn. So it was making a connection... I think I'll try some PB blaster and if that doesn't work tear them apart as in the link. Thanks all.

The test light did not make a good connection.Use a jumper wire instead.The test light checked for a complete circuit.You did not have battery power at the horn.The horn on ground lug is good.+ connection was not. A fused jumper wire would be best.But any wire will work.Yes you will get a slight arc when connected.don't use phone line thin wire neither.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Do mopar horns go bad and how to test? - 03/31/12 05:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That has worked for me before too.

Exactly, if the screw is too loose, or too tight, the horn cant vibrate and no sound. This is one of the more obnoxious things you can do in your garage. Shooting guns is another but I digress.

Re: Do mopar horns go bad and how to test? - 04/17/12 08:28 PM

I got two of them to work with a jumper wire painted them up and put them in last night. I think my problem must've been the test light or poor ground. I wire wheeled the bracket, used the test wire and all was well.

Thanks for all the help - now I'm "horny" lol...
© 2024 Moparts Forums