Moparts

Where did you hide/ mount your orange box?

Posted By: 70VcodeCoronetRT

Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 12:26 AM

Hello, looking for a good place to mount the orange box on a bb 70 coronet. Where did you guys mount yours? Would like to hide it. But not a big deal if I can't. Thanks
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 12:28 AM

under the battery tray
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 12:43 AM

Behind the intake.

Attached picture 7136984-MoreGTXpics025.JPG
Posted By: YYZ

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 12:47 AM

Quote:

under the battery tray

Posted By: 1MYTGTX

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 12:48 AM

Quote:

Behind the intake.

I did as well...

Attached picture 7136994-5-14-20077-43-3n60PM_0010_resizer.JPG
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 12:49 AM

Core support,under the horn.
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 01:32 AM

painted it black and put it on front bumper bracket...run the wires right across the rubber fuel line and up to dist [big block] or under battery tray is another good one dan
Posted By: A12

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 01:48 AM

I wanted to get it as far away from the heat of the engine and engine compartment so I found a couple of unused firewall plugs at the bulkhead wiring block, ran the wires inside of the wiring harness, then through the bulkhead and mounted the box under the dash on the inside.

If you look at the bulkhead junction block behind that mess of A/C stuff you can just see the red wire. And that's a Holley under the stock unsilenced air filter cover and sitting on top of an Edelbrock aluminum intake with everything (Edelbrock) ground off for "stock appearing"

Attached picture 7137106-DSC02309.JPG
Posted By: burdar

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 01:52 AM

I've heard of them being mounted inside the washer bottle.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 02:49 AM

I just don't understand why you resto guys cant just use the stock point distributor to trigger an MSD mounted inside the car somewhere
Gus

Attached picture 7137250-savoyburnout.jpg
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 03:07 AM

Quote:

I've heard of them being mounted inside the washer bottle.

Thats where mines going, shhh!
Posted By: gygeneral

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 03:17 AM

RIGHT IN BACK OF THE HEADLIGHTS, FRONT OF RAD SUPPORT

Attached picture 7137309-DSC00829.JPG
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 04:25 PM

One of the issues for most of us is that if you bought an (expensive) M&H harness you really don't want to start cutting apart the wires. I went with a custom bracket that attached to some of the heater box studs, but the back of the manifold looks like the best idea IMO.

Dave
Posted By: gygeneral

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 04:39 PM

Quote:

One of the issues for most of us is that if you bought an (expensive) M&H harness you really don't want to start cutting apart the wires. I went with a custom bracket that attached to some of the heater box studs, but the back of the manifold looks like the best idea IMO.

Dave

What I did is have the harness made to accomodate this move. Works great and you don't see it unless you bend down and look.
Posted By: CornDogsCharger

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 04:58 PM

I've always done like A12 mentioned. I've mounted them under the dash. It takes a lot of extra work to cut and lengthen the wires and the re-wrap them afterwards to help blend in, but it looks great afterwards. If you didn't notice the extra wire coming from the distributor then you really wouldn't know it had electronic ignition. When I get home I'll post a picture of the bracket I made.

Justin
"CornDog"
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 06:06 PM

why dont more people run petronix?
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 07:08 PM

M+H Harness supplied harness right out of the box , ran the wiring thru the firewall grommet on the drivers side of the brake booster - box is mounted above on side of the brake pedal bracket.

Attached picture 7138116-ECU2.jpg
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 07:08 PM

made the bracket to mount it

Attached picture 7138117-ECU1.jpg
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 08:32 PM

Quote:

I just don't understand why you resto guys cant just use the stock point distributor to trigger an MSD mounted inside the car somewhere
Gus

And the points will last forever as they dont carry any juice. Also, there is absoluetly NO reason not to run just a standard points distributor on a resto. Properly set up points distributors will give a lifetime of trouble free service especially when you take into account how little these cars get driven on a yearly basis.

MB
Posted By: MONC

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 08:55 PM

Quote:

Why mess with an orange box and where to place it??
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/27/12 09:07 PM

Quote:

Partly now because pertronics is making them offshore ... like MSD now also . but I do have some old pertronics units that were made before the move toward a higher profit margin.
Posted By: CornDogsCharger

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/28/12 03:28 AM

As I posted earlier... here's where I've been mounting the boxes. I made a bracket to go over the booster studs.

Justin
"CornDog"

Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/28/12 03:35 AM

Nice an simple no cutting the wire harness. I bought the under hood harness with Box conector allready there. Just plug and play. Easy to get to the box if there are any issues down the road.
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: Where did you hide/ mount your orange box? - 03/28/12 04:27 AM

Under dash, along with BR and VR. Bracket fits over parking brake assy.

Sorry for the crappy pic. The focus at the time was the carpet. VR is just out of view to the rear of the orange box. Ballast is on a threaded rod and coupling standoff for cooling. Black wire to base nuts is for good ground.

Attached picture 7138901-Firewalldriverleft.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums