Moparts

Hyd roller or solid roller

Posted By: challengerx

Hyd roller or solid roller - 10/24/08 02:16 AM

Hi everyone, just talked to my engine builder and asked me if I wanted to go to a solid roller instead of hydraulic roller because he is having a hard time getting lifters from comp. The build is for street-strip 73 challenger, 10.5 comp 416 with hughe stage 2 ported alum heads. What would be advantages/disadvantages of solid over hyd. Thanks
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Hyd roller or solid roller - 10/24/08 03:08 AM

Hyd rollers work for low rpm street or mild street/strip cars. Solid rollers mean more unkeep and more potential power if you'll be spinning it over 6000 rpm. With the heads your using I'd think a hyd roller makes sense.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Hyd roller or solid roller - 10/24/08 10:51 AM

i like solid cams. just have to get used to the clackity clackity noise but they run hard
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Hyd roller or solid roller - 10/24/08 11:38 AM

I went with hydraulic in my SB 414 because of lower maintenance and the fact its not going to make a lot of power over 6,000 rpm with the 4" crank. Have your tried Crane, that is where I got my hydraulic roller lifters from.

And make sure you check the oil groove to lifter bore relationship, especially at max lift. I had to go with a custom ground small base circle cam to keep the oil from bleeding out of the exposed lifter groove. This goes for the Comp lifters too since their dimensions are the same:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post4710897
Posted By: patrick

Re: Hyd roller or solid roller - 10/24/08 12:01 PM

try contacting board member OU812 for lifters...
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: Hyd roller or solid roller - 10/24/08 12:22 PM

It the street is more important than the strip for you, then I would go with the hydraulic roller. Surely someone must have those lifters. If you need every tenth possible, the solid roller will make more power, but it will also require more maintenence.
Posted By: lokalik

Re: Hyd roller or solid roller - 10/24/08 01:33 PM

hughes engines..
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Hyd roller or solid roller - 10/24/08 03:09 PM

Quote:

try contacting board member OU812 for lifters...

He would be able to set you up with everything you need while providing expert advice.
Posted By: challengerx

Re: Hyd roller or solid roller - 10/25/08 02:07 AM

Thanks, I think I will stay with hyd, as engine will not see above 6000 rpms very often.
© 2024 Moparts Forums