Moparts

pics of e bodys with hitch please

Posted By: toplescuda

pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/24/08 01:25 AM

my 70 cuda convertable came with tow package and i want one that some day may add back on the car could anyone having any pics of e body with a hitch mounted on it please help me out?? thanks in advance
Posted By: Finoke

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/24/08 10:51 AM

My buddy has a 70 Barracuda convertible that came with tow package. Its a 383 2bbl car and is inviolot.

It has the original rear bumper which has holes drilled for the hitch. I'll email him to see if he has any info on the original hitch design.
Posted By: hemi71

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/24/08 02:22 PM

Here are some pics of my tow package equipped 70 B'cuda. You can still see where the hitch was installed and the extra bolts in the rear bumper.

Attached picture 4769853-cuda-rrrearclosesm.jpg

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/24/08 02:23 PM

another pic

Attached picture 4769858-cudatopdownrearsm.jpg
Posted By: 73Convertriple

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/24/08 05:33 PM

here is a picture of a 73 challenger (HURTING!)
that had a tree growing through the trailer hitch. Tree had to be cut below and above hitch to move car as the city told them it had to be moved from the front yard.... Owner still will not sell for under $5 K

Attached picture 4770191-hurting73.JPG
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/24/08 06:03 PM

70 Gran Coupe...

Attached picture 4770243-grancoupehitch.JPG
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/24/08 06:30 PM

Ralph - believe it or not, I have a NEW-In-BOX trailer hitch. It was ordered for a 71 Charger, which I THINK in the same one as for the Cuda.

Looks just like the one in the grand coupe pic

Scotty
Posted By: stwheels

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/24/08 06:39 PM

The second car from the top was a Barracuda conv. I had a few years ago. I got it from the original owner and he used to haul his boat with it.

The freaking Canadian Tire exhaust tips stuck out so far I ripped my jeans walking around the back of the car !!!

Attached picture 4770284-ClipboardChallengersandCuda.jpg

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/24/08 08:50 PM

Here is a better pic of the rear bumper...you can clearly see the shadow from the hitch mount by the extra bumper bolts.

Attached picture 4770480-rearbumper3sm.jpg

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/24/08 09:06 PM

Quote:

Here is a better pic of the rear bumper...you can clearly see the shadow from the hitch mount by the extra bumper bolts.

Cool! I wonder what the towing capacity was. You would figure that a bumper like that couldn't withstand to much without getting bent up?
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/24/08 09:14 PM

Quote:

Cool! I wonder what the towing capacity was. You would figure that a bumper like that couldn't withstand to much without getting bent up?

According to the numbers stamped on my "new" one - 200lbs tongue and 2000lbs trailer.

Scott

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/25/08 11:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

According to the numbers stamped on my "new" one - 200lbs tongue and 2000lbs trailer.

Scott

Interesting! Any pics!!!
Posted By: mikepar

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/25/08 11:55 AM

why do this ..use a Chevy to tow with. Come on give the old girl a brake. STOP THE ABUSE
Posted By: fluegelmeister

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/25/08 03:21 PM

Here is my challenger with a tow kit after being rear-ended by a kid in his daddy's Buick which caught on fire. Frankly the hitch probably saved my life. Used to tow all the time with it.
Barry

Posted By: screamindriver

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/25/08 05:39 PM

...Barry,I hope you got the "after" pics when daddy forked over the loot to fix it..
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/26/08 12:00 AM

I bought a hitch years ago for my cuda...must be a class 1 ...2 bolts to the bumper, then 2 bolts go under the license plate area down into the trunk area and that's the way this one mounts....sits pretty high...haven't installed it yet...
Posted By: fluegelmeister

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/26/08 12:44 AM

It was during the 80's. I paid $1500 for it and it was full of rust. I got the car back from the insurance company +$5000 and felt pretty good about it. The whole back of the car was bent.
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/26/08 04:16 AM

There was a pic on the internet taken in early 70's with a 70 Hemi Challenger convertible pulling a boat out of a lake.
I think it was EF8 .

Greg

Wards Classic Car Radio Repair Specializing in restoration and sales of Mopar A B E body radios
We can restore YOUR radio usually in less than 7 days
Visit our NEW website..
http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com
gregward@mchsi.com
phone 256-852-0955
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/27/08 03:33 PM

I gotta ask my dad if it was factory, but he bought the car new and just took the hitch off a few years ago - its sitting around his yard somewhere.

I probably have some pix at home with the rear of the car, with the hitch.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/27/08 05:08 PM

Interesting thread. I did some research on the various mopar tow packages available 70-74. I'll see if I can find it.

If I recall, the 1970 tow package did not include the hitch itself, just wiring provisions/variable load flashers, etc. The hitch had to be added aftermarket. Dealerships may have also added these aftermarket hitches, but they were not put on at the factory in 1970. Like I said, I'll see if I can find my info.

Tav

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/27/08 08:38 PM

With the factory Tow package (A35) you got the following:

Auto trans, 3.23 rear gears, HD brakes, HD stop lamp switch, Variable load turn signal flasher, High capacity cooling fan, maximum Cooling, auxiliary trans oil cooler, HD suspension, and HD or "trailer tow" wheels. NA with 440-6 or hemi engines.

I've often wondered what my B'cuda towed, figured it was either a small boat or a pop-up camper. Someone ordered themselves an unusual car when they ordered this one...FC7, black top and interior, 383 2 bbl console auto. AM-8 track, light package, road wheels. Standard flat hood.

Attached picture 4775970-LFmidsm.jpg
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 10/27/08 09:55 PM

Here we go, Lots of trailer towing info in this thread.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

Tav

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 11/02/08 09:54 PM

Here is the Hitch i have

Attached picture 4788277-Trailer.jpg

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 11/02/08 09:57 PM

Pic2

Attached picture 4788283-trailer2.jpg

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 11/02/08 09:57 PM

last pic

Attached picture 4788285-trailer3.jpg
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 11/02/08 10:50 PM

Quote:

Here is the Hitch i have

Originally that had one bolt through the bumper, correct?

Man, that is odd looking. Do the bolts under the liceanse plate go through the rear cross frame rail/section??

Re: pics of e bodys with hitch please - 11/03/08 10:05 PM

Yes, 1 bolt into the bumper and Yes bolts straight down in the trunk area...different I say....
© 2024 Moparts Forums