Moparts

anyone ever update their seat belts?

Posted By: patbee383

anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/24/12 04:04 PM

Just wonderin if any one has updated from the 2 piece to a one piece more modern setup for safety and conveniance? Maybe their is a kit?
Posted By: moparcyco

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/24/12 06:05 PM

Check xv motorsports they have a cool 3 point setup for our cars I have one for my 69 super Bee have not installed it yet,cant get my car out of body shop prison yet.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/24/12 06:22 PM

I went with 3 points with a single retractor from SSnayk oyl.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/24/12 06:38 PM

Quote:

How did they fit/how do they look? Any trouble with the install? Any pics?
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/24/12 06:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How did they fit/how do they look? Any trouble with the install? Any pics?

THE Ssnayk Oyl belts look nice and fit in using the stock attachment points. They use one single retractor in the stock location near between the seat and sill. They cross my neck and chest at an angle that I do NOT like. The seats are stock and I'm 5'10 so its not as if I'm 4'3 and sitting on the floor. The A body 74-76 design used two retractors and a standoff for the overhead anchor. This allowed the belt to cross at the shoulder and chest. I'll post pictures of both designs later.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/24/12 07:18 PM

I found a post on abodiesonly a long time ago about using conversion van seat belts:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=48125&highlight=Seat+Belt+Install

Here is the company:

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/conversion-van-seat-belt.html

Fit great, and they are very comfortable.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/24/12 07:52 PM

Quote:

They cross my neck and chest at an angle that I do NOT like.

That's what I figured. That's the same reason we don't use the shoulder belts in my 73 wagon, and that's what's kept me from installing a retractable-style 3 point setup.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/25/12 02:12 AM

71 T/A sent me a link several years ago, to a company that sells 3 point stuff. It was reasonably priced, and it works well. The belts I bought have a dogbone that drops the shoulder belt down to where it isn't rubbing your neck. Maybe Jim will see this thread and post the link again. I lost it when my old computer took a dump.
Posted By: 63stabamatic

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/25/12 02:07 PM

I used a 3-point set from Andover Restraints on my 63, had them 10 years,very nice.

http://www.andoauto.com/
Posted By: cogen80

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/25/12 02:11 PM

Quote:

Check xv motorsports they have a cool 3 point setup for our cars I have one for my 69 super Bee have not installed it yet,cant get my car out of body shop prison yet.

here are the xv belts without the stupid xv logo

Posted By: noplanb

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/25/12 02:17 PM

I have the XV belts installed in a 72 Cuda. Much better than the stock shoulder belts but even with the drop they feel like they would crush my aorta in a collision (6 foot). And the retractors lock by movement on the belt, so they have to be coaxed out to buckle.

More drop would work. The car just went back to the body shop so I can't measure the drop length, will compare to the van conversion belts when it comes home.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/25/12 02:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

here are the xv belts without the stupid xv logo

Yup...those are the same ones I posted. I really like them.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/25/12 03:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

They cross my neck and chest at an angle that I do NOT like.

That's what I figured. That's the same reason we don't use the shoulder belts in my 73 wagon, and that's what's kept me from installing a retractable-style 3 point setup.

On my wagon, I HATED the stock setup (anchor point over the back door??) I converted to three point using a kit from Juliano's. I mounted the upper mount in the B-pillar just like the factory did starting in '74.

I might have some pics somewhere if you're interested.
Posted By: MadMatt

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/25/12 04:07 PM

Quote:

I used a 3-point set from Andover Restraints on my 63, had them 10 years,very nice.

I think that is the same company I used for my conversion on my 70 Dart. Worked out pretty well, but I had to pull the covers off the retractors for clearance at the seats. The passenger side one is still a little finicky because it is hard to get it straight up and down with the clearance. Still, much better than the stock double belts, and these belts have the aircraft type buckle release instead of the GM push button.

Attached picture 7134753-IMG_2510.JPG
Posted By: MadMatt

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/25/12 04:08 PM

Here's another photo.

Attached picture 7134755-IMG_2511.JPG
Posted By: jbc426

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/25/12 05:36 PM

I tried the XV 3-points in my 1970 e-body. I didn't like them. The retractor is in the way of moving the seat all the way rearward, and if you get close to that position with the seat, the retractor gets at such an angle that it binds up the retraction action of the belt.

I went back to the stock lap belt & separate shoulder belt. Still have the XV's if anyone wants them. Just pay to box & ship.
Posted By: BDW

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/25/12 08:21 PM

I'm interested, PM sent
Posted By: Burkenator

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/26/12 01:10 AM

I used the XV setup also. It works for me. I do wish it had the aircraft style buckle, though.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/26/12 02:22 AM

Quote:

That's the ones! Thanks for the link. Added to favorites again.
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/26/12 05:12 AM

I did a setup that I adapted from a '92 Dodge van. Posted a raft of pics a couple of years ago. Might still be here somewhere.

Anyhoo, retractor and frame rail end of lap belt portion both bolt to frame rail anchor point. It has a dogbone, like an earlier poster mentioned, that attaches to the roof rail anchor point, which drops and moves forward the shoulder portion of the belt so that it lays across the shoulder/chest properly. The dogbone also allows the belt to hinge out of the way nicely for entry to the rear seat. Webbing and buckles are black, like originals. Car is a '72 RR.

This shot is early in the adaptation. Trimmed the plate down more and redrilled it to hide it under the retractor cover better.

Attached picture 7135976-3pt_14.jpg
Posted By: roe

Re: anyone ever update their seat belts? - 03/29/12 03:13 AM

Heres another option if originality is not an issue. These are from a 2006 Toyota tundra. It has the dogbone that rotates, that you need for proper placement across chest. This dogbone is also adjustable for easy transitions between taller and shorter passengers. Here are some pics of the dogbone fully extended and shortened, and there are other stopping points in between. Theres also a pic of the retractor. Its an option that Im seriously considering because I want 3 point seat belts, and Im also trying to put the front buckets and rear bench from a new charger into my Satellite.

© 2024 Moparts Forums