Moparts

BB Stage VI heads

Posted By: ProStock1320

BB Stage VI heads - 03/24/12 04:49 AM

I heard a rumor offset rockers were needed with the aluminum Stage VI cylinder heads for wedge engines. I looked into the old DC catalog and it states "uses stock valve train parts." But, I also have heard tell of some "special" Stage VI heads that required offset rockers. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Posted By: Wicked49670dart

Re: BB Stage VI heads - 03/24/12 05:12 AM

Mine uses standard rockers, I use Hughes Engines CNC 1.5 on my 496...

Re: BB Stage VI heads - 03/24/12 05:33 AM

Thanks, that's what I thought too. But there is always the odd parts that get 'tweaked' (Hurst, Mr Norm, etc.) and one thing I have learned in this hobby - never say never when Mopars are concerned.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: BB Stage VI heads - 03/24/12 05:42 AM

I've had a set for over 15 years, and they needed a bunch of fine tuning and various upgrades to get them right. You can post on the racers forum for tons of info.

Re: BB Stage VI heads - 03/24/12 05:52 AM

Good idea. I'll let it soak here a bit and try the Race Forum next. Thanks.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: BB Stage VI heads - 03/24/12 12:04 PM

From the tech archive..Lots of reading!
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/33.html
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: BB Stage VI heads - 03/24/12 02:34 PM

I just acquired a set, what appears to be the second version/casting, that were produced around the 1999-2002 timeframe. Yep, the catalog does say that they use the production valvetrain. I mocked up one head and the stamped steel rocker & non-adj. pushrod pieces fit perfectly to the lifters. Not that I'd use them. No interference at the cylinder head-to-pushrod passthru.

It is the "Max Wedge" versions that came later that need a special offset rocker. NOT all Stage VI'ers.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: BB Stage VI heads - 03/24/12 03:15 PM

Sorry thought I had a pic of my set-up. I'm using H/S rockers. Mone have been ported and seem to breath well. They do raise your headers up a tad so check around before you order. Other wise the header flange might rattle on your t-bars.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: BB Stage VI heads - 03/24/12 03:48 PM

here are mine, you notice some have been grined on.. helps w/ valve cover clearance.

Attached picture 7133320-6560635-resizedrockers4.jpg

Re: BB Stage VI heads - 03/25/12 06:45 AM

More thanks all around.

Here's what's up; I have a new set of VIs that have been CNCed & hand blended, 11/32 guides, bigger valves. I have a buddy who is considering a set and has had a conversation with a fellow in the Georgia area who indicated some offset was needed in the rockers.

My friend asked me & all I could say was what I found in the DC parts catalog. My question is/was to get the straight scoop from those that know (where better than Moparts, right?) before I spend money on the valve train & my buddy knows whether he can use what he already has if he goes with the VIs.

Based on the responses & the archive thread (THANKS boomer!), I think we can confirm the stock stuff, as cited in the catalog, is correct.

Best wishes to all for a great 2012 season!
© 2024 Moparts Forums