Moparts

Can you flip an A body (71) front spring hanger, 2 lowr

Posted By: NV69B7RR

Can you flip an A body (71) front spring hanger, 2 lowr - 03/24/12 12:19 AM

Can you flip the front spring hanger upside down on an A body to lower the car some? Its on a 71 Duster.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Can you flip an A body (71) front spring hanger, 2 lowr - 03/24/12 12:42 AM

Yes, but you have to hack on the holes in the chassis to make it work since the bolt pattern isn't square.

Mancini Racing has the correct hangers with a second eye bolt hole.

Attached picture 7132592-springhangers.jpg
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Can you flip an A body (71) front spring hanger, 2 lowr - 03/24/12 02:25 AM

Hack?

Dunno if I'd call it a hack. A bit of time with a file is all. Course, I don't have anything to sell in this discussion.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Can you flip an A body (71) front spring hanger, 2 lowr - 03/24/12 03:26 AM

Quote:

Hack?

Dunno if I'd call it a hack. A bit of time with a file is all. Course, I don't have anything to sell in this discussion.

a couple minutes with a file, I've done it on dozens of cars, never an issue.... But if I was selling parts I'd offer that as a better option...
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Can you flip an A body (71) front spring hanger, 2 lowr - 03/24/12 05:23 AM

In a mild perfoming car, hogging out the holes probably won't hurt. I certainly wouldn't do it with a 4 speed or a 14 second or quicker ride. The mounting area in most cars is not that thick unless the reinforcing plates are there.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Can you flip an A body (71) front spring hanger, 2 lowr - 03/24/12 06:10 AM

Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Can you flip an A body (71) front spring hanger, 2 lowr - 03/24/12 02:30 PM

Quote:

In a mild perfoming car, hogging out the holes probably won't hurt. I certainly wouldn't do it with a 4 speed or a 14 second or quicker ride. The mounting area in most cars is not that thick unless the reinforcing plates are there.

Have you ever heard of anybody having a problem caused by doing this?

I haven't, not even the "friend of my buddies' cousin's sister's nephew" variety.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Can you flip an A body (71) front spring hanger, 2 lowr - 03/24/12 02:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Have you ever heard of anybody having a problem caused by doing this?

I haven't, not even the "friend of my buddies' cousin's sister's nephew" variety.

not a race car comment. but the factory, suggestion from the zone rep, repair for dog tracking volaries, rear spring mounts welded in the wrong place. was to install shims between the hanger and the body. i remember doing a few that i had to use longer bolts in the hangers because there were so many shims. i lost count on the number of cars i did that to and never had one come back. never heard of one breaking several had well over 100K miles after the repair.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Can you flip an A body (71) front spring hanger, 2 lowr - 03/24/12 03:49 PM

Just out of curiousity, how big a "hog" we talking about?

1/4", 1/2", larger..............?
All 4 holes, or just 2?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Can you flip an A body (71) front spring hanger, 2 lowr - 03/24/12 04:01 PM

just 2
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Can you flip an A body (71) front spring hanger, 2 lowr - 03/24/12 04:13 PM

In the pic above look at the space between the upper studs compaired with the space between the lower studs. Thats the hog.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Can you flip an A body (71) front spring hanger, 2 lowr - 03/24/12 06:14 PM

Quote:

Just out of curiousity, how big a "hog" we talking about?

1/4", 1/2", larger..............?
All 4 holes, or just 2?

Personally I move all four, but it's less than 1/8th of an inch... If your concerned about it you can make it stronger than it ever was by adding a spring hanger reinforcement... Which came stock on some HP models...

Attached picture 7133532-SpringHangerReinf-1.jpg
Posted By: cageman

Re: Can you flip an A body (71) front spring hanger, 2 lowr - 03/24/12 08:03 PM

you ever notice any wheelhop when this is done? I like my front segment to be flatter, but I put the extra holes in my minitub spring relocation and it hopped bad, like it was gaining and losing traction as the springs went up in the front slightly. Put it back in the normal hole and it went away. I just have a mild 273 and 5 speed.
© 2024 Moparts Forums