Moparts

Do I need a High volume oil pump

Posted By: Beep Beep

Do I need a High volume oil pump - 03/22/12 04:10 AM

I am in the process of a 498 stroker build from a 400 block. I am running a street solid roller setup. Do I need a HV pump or is a stock replacement pump good enough? I am using a 6 quart hemi oil pan.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Do I need a High volume oil pump - 03/22/12 04:46 AM

Quote:

I am in the process of a 498 stroker build from a 400 block. I am running a street solid roller setup. Do I need a HV pump or is a stock replacement pump good enough? I am using a 6 quart hemi oil pan.

I have three stroker motors like your using, I used the high volume oil pump on all three with the stock 3/8 440-6pak pick up for that pan I did find out if I let the oil level get down to the add mark I would loose some, not all, oil pressure at the end of the quarter mile when I let off and applied the brakes, my car runs 130+ MPH in the quarter, no probblems in the 1/8 mile racing
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Do I need a High volume oil pump - 03/22/12 03:06 PM

loose clearances/oiling passage mods/high rpm would be where I'd use a hi vol.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Do I need a High volume oil pump - 03/22/12 06:40 PM

not necessarily, the best oil pump is the smallest one that will provide the desired pressure under the operating conditions the engine will see.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Do I need a High volume oil pump - 03/22/12 10:40 PM

I tried the HV pump on my 71 RR years ago. I had the same problem of loosing pressure at the top end. Swapped for a HP and never had anymore problems..
© 2024 Moparts Forums