Moparts

Dealer installed Hitches from back in the day

Posted By: Pyper70

Dealer installed Hitches from back in the day - 03/19/12 04:07 PM

I have an itch...to find this hitch.

I tried looking for one about a year ago to no avail. Maybe someone else will read this and someone (if I could be that lucky) will actually know where to find one.

Looking for a Dealer installed Class I hitch for a 68 - 70 Charger. It is actually stamped on the hitch "68 - 70 Charger" on the underside. My idiot friend removed it to take it to a car show because he thought it wasn't "original" while I was overseas. Would like to find one just out of personal thrill and mount it. I am not going to pull anything with it. Even if you have any information, maybe an old magazine with the company name and design of the hitch. Perhaps a drawing of it from a brochure. Maybe you have a cruddy hitch on your car and you dont want it. It has a plate that mounts behind the license plate on the bumper. The tongue is about 1/2" thick steel, goes down under the gas tank and then connects left and right to the subframe with two bolts. There was a variation where it also has two trusses that went towards the rear diff about 8" with two more mounting points on each side.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Dealer installed Hitches from back in the day - 03/19/12 08:55 PM

The Owner's Manual that came with my 69 Barracuda had a drawing in back for making a hitch frame out of square tubing. Always wanted to make one, but never did.

Maybe check the Owner's Manual for your car...
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Dealer installed Hitches from back in the day - 03/19/12 09:07 PM

I believe Draw Tite made them.

The ones I've seen just have part numbers on them.

I have one for my Barracuda it just has a Draw Tite number on it V-5. IIRC, mine also works for a Dart.

Attached picture 7126038-CopyofPICT0732.JPG
Posted By: CHRYCOFAN

Re: Dealer installed Hitches from back in the day - 03/20/12 12:07 AM

My 70 Superbee had one like that. I held onto it for years & then loaned it to a friend to put on his Roadrunner just to pull a motorcycle trailer. I don't remember if I got it back or he still has it but I'll check.

It was on the Bee when I bought it in 75 & I remember the original owners pulled a boat with it.

Butch
Posted By: MMC Detroit

Re: Dealer installed Hitches from back in the day - 03/20/12 12:07 AM

Quote:

I believe Draw Tite made them.

The ones I've seen just have part numbers on them.

I have one for my Barracuda it just has a Draw Tite number on it V-5. IIRC, mine also works for a Dart.

Here is a lead. It is worth a try. I have been researching hitches for a while. Let me know what you find out because I'm adding thsiinformaiton to the ICCA reference manuals.

http://forums.aaca.org/f119/trailer-hitches-277721.html
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Dealer installed Hitches from back in the day - 03/20/12 12:12 AM

Allot of the Mopar ones back in that day had a rectangular box that framed the license plate... There is one of that style on a Dart in the local wrecking yard...

Re: Dealer installed Hitches from back in the day - 03/20/12 12:26 AM

I have a feeling the Draw Tite number may change over time. Here are two setups that have V-5 marked on them.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pts/2910176970.html

http://newyork.ebayclassifieds.com/parts...itch/?ad=616126
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Dealer installed Hitches from back in the day - 03/20/12 12:36 AM

Look in a 69 B body owners manual and it will show how to make one and where to attach it.

Re: Dealer installed Hitches from back in the day - 03/20/12 12:38 AM

Quote:

Allot of the Mopar ones back in that day had a rectangular box that framed the license plate... There is one of that style on a Dart in the local wrecking yard...

Like this?....

Attached picture 7126387-CopyofPICT0731.JPG

Re: Dealer installed Hitches from back in the day - 03/20/12 12:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Like this?....

Yup..
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Dealer installed Hitches from back in the day - 03/20/12 12:41 AM

Quote:

Look in a 69 B body owners manual and it will show how to make one and where to attach it.

Are we talking the 69 Charger FSM or the little booklet for the glovebox? I have the 69 FSM and the 70 Glovebox manual. I'll take a peek tomorrow and see what it says
Posted By: 19cuda73

Re: Dealer installed Hitches from back in the day - 03/20/12 03:35 AM

I dont think this was dealer installed infact quite the hack job really. it was bolted to the bumper which was cut out and into the trunk pan with 1/4 plates under the bolts.

Attached picture 7126783-202.JPG

Re: Dealer installed Hitches from back in the day - 03/20/12 03:38 AM

Quote:

I dont think this was dealer installed infact quite the hack job really. it was bolted to the bumper which was cut out and into the trunk pan with 1/4 plates under the bolts.

That hitch didn't start it's life on that car.... Or at least it wasn't designed to start it's life on that car....
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Dealer installed Hitches from back in the day - 03/20/12 04:32 AM

There is a similar trailer hitch on my '68 H/O. With carriage bolts thru the trunk floor to help support it.

Attached picture 7126885-68HOwithhitch.jpg
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Dealer installed Hitches from back in the day - 03/20/12 04:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Are we talking the 69 Charger FSM or the little booklet for the glovebox? I have the 69 FSM and the 70 Glovebox manual. I'll take a peek tomorrow and see what it says

Look here:

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1969-Dodge-Charger-RT-Reprint-Owners-Manual-69-P10057.aspx
© 2024 Moparts Forums