Moparts

Replacing bench with power buckets in 71 4dr b-body

Posted By: roe

Replacing bench with power buckets in 71 4dr b-body - 03/19/12 05:11 AM

Well, I saw another post that made me think about this swap. I want to take the rear bench and front buckets from a new charger (or 300 if it fits) and put it in my 71 satellite 4dr. From what I've seen the rears will drop right in, no issues.

My question is on the fronts. What exactly is necssary to replace the bench with buckets? Im guessing that if I just drill holes and bolt it in, the floorpan is not strong enough to properly secure the seats and will probably end up ripping out over time. Do I need to have some sort of bracing welded to the underside, or topside of the floors to spread up the force? Both? If extra bracing is necessary can they be bolted in or is welding in the only option?

I would also like to add in three point seatbelts at the same time, but thats another discussion.

Thanks in advance
roe

Re: Replacing bench with power buckets in 71 4dr b-body - 03/19/12 10:58 PM

Posted By: 1968 Charger B5

Re: Replacing bench with power buckets in 71 4dr b-body - 03/19/12 11:08 PM

I used 71-74 bbody buckets in a 71 coronet i had....they fit the outer holes, i believe what i did was drill the inner holes, and i swapped the tracks and use washers as spacers to get the seats to sit flat....

Attached picture 7126243-DSCN1160.JPG

Re: Replacing bench with power buckets in 71 4dr b-body - 03/19/12 11:38 PM

That seems to be pretty simple. What do you think about the idea of some type of reinforcement to spread out the force of the seats on the floor? Unnecessary? And I would end up running relays to power the seat controls.
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: Replacing bench with power buckets in 71 4dr b-body - 03/20/12 01:15 AM

Check the 71 Road Runner SRT8 thread in the projects section. To put SRT8 seats in the 71, the owner had to modify the floor area beside the rocker. It sounds fairly involved but the results sure look good.

Mike.
© 2024 Moparts Forums