Moparts

Lower radiator hose is collapsing

Posted By: cdstl

Lower radiator hose is collapsing - 03/15/12 01:44 AM

When I initially give the motor some gas the lower radiator hose on my 340 72 Cuda collapses and then opens back up. I went to NAPA and picked up a new hose and thought that it might have a spring inside, no luck. The new hose seems pretty pliant almost like the one on the car. Will the new hose collapse as well or who sells one with a spring inside? I am thinking about finding another hose at NAPA and pulling the spring out of it and putting it into the new hose. Any ideas?

Factory 26" radiator that flows 22GPM+, not sure what kind of water pump, RV etc.

Thanks
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: Lower radiator hose is collapsing - 03/15/12 01:50 AM

Quote:

I am thinking about finding another hose at NAPA and pulling the spring out of it and putting it into the new hose. Any ideas?
Thanks

That's what I'd do.

Let me guess... the hose is NAPA part 7648? (or close to it, going from memory here).
-Art
Posted By: bp27

Re: Lower radiator hose is collapsing - 03/15/12 02:05 AM

I used this
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=RH52+01
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: Lower radiator hose is collapsing - 03/15/12 02:11 AM

""I am thinking about finding another hose at NAPA and pulling the spring out of it and putting it into the new hose.""

That is how I did it too.
Posted By: Suregrip

Re: Lower radiator hose is collapsing - 03/15/12 02:16 AM

Just take a piece of coat hanger and wind it up to the right shape...

Re: Lower radiator hose is collapsing - 03/15/12 02:33 AM

Quote:

Just take a piece of coat hanger and wind it up to the right shape...

I like the way you think.
Posted By: StukaJU87

Re: Lower radiator hose is collapsing - 03/15/12 02:36 AM

I just pulled the spring out of an old hose and stuck it in the new one. I like the coat hanger idea too.

Re: Lower radiator hose is collapsing - 03/15/12 02:46 AM

I ordered the spring, $13.00 delivered. Still cheaper than buying a different hose just for the spring.

Thanks for the advise.
Posted By: rick@laysons

Re: Lower radiator hose is collapsing - 03/15/12 05:25 PM

Instead of bending one up out of a coat hanger, why not use a piece of stainless steel TIG welding rod?

I wouldn't want any more sources of corrosion in my cooling system that didn't absolutely HAVE to be there....just sayin...
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Lower radiator hose is collapsing - 03/15/12 08:38 PM

Quote:

Instead of bending one up out of a coat hanger, why not use a piece of stainless steel TIG welding rod?

I wouldn't want any more sources of corrosion in my cooling system that didn't absolutely HAVE to be there....just sayin...

this is best.

Found a few rusted coat hangers wraped up in the impeller before.

The wire eat a groove right thru the t-cover and leaked water into the crankcase.
Posted By: Big_E

Re: Lower radiator hose is collapsing - 03/17/12 06:04 AM

Stainless spring steel is the only way to go. I wanted one in stainless so I had to buy a minimum order. I had a original spring that I used as a guide.

There are two major differences between "theirs" and "mine":

• Nobody has the wire turned in on the ends. In my opinion the wire could rub thru the hose with enough heat cycles.

• Mine is stainless steel. I did the magnet test right after I had them made to confirm they are stainless.

If anyone is interested in one, pm me here.

The original one is on the top, the new one-bottom.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Lower radiator hose is collapsing - 03/17/12 03:22 PM

What diameter is it? Guessing from pic, 1.5"?
Posted By: markz528

Re: Lower radiator hose is collapsing - 03/17/12 10:14 PM

I made mine out of SS spring wire. Wrapped it around a wooden broom handle. Worked out great. Bought the spring material at McMaster Carr.
Posted By: Big_E

Re: Lower radiator hose is collapsing - 03/18/12 05:09 AM

Quote:

What diameter is it? Guessing from pic, 1.5"?

Correct, good guess.
© 2024 Moparts Forums