Moparts

Converting pushbutton transmission..

Posted By: Al_Alguire

Converting pushbutton transmission.. - 03/14/12 06:56 AM

I recently picked up a Mopar with a pushbutton TF and the trunion style yoke. Thaty yoke is not in very good shape and is missing it's "dust boot". Can these cars be converted to a later style slip joint yoke, if so what is required? Or do I need to toss the trans and move on?
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Converting pushbutton transmission.. - 03/14/12 07:39 AM

You need the tailhousing and oupput shaft from a 65 only transmission.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Converting pushbutton transmission.. - 03/14/12 09:13 AM

Quote:

You need the tailhousing and output shaft from a 65 only transmission.

The '65 had the slip yoke, rear pump, and cable shift / cable park.

I think it would be easier to take a newer 727 and adapt the pushbutton cable to work the newer shift lever?
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Converting pushbutton transmission.. - 03/14/12 12:43 PM

Ditch the trunion-unit and have a driveline shop make you a driveshaft like they did for me.
Bolts right up to the transmission flange.

Posted By: rbstroker

Re: Converting pushbutton transmission.. - 03/14/12 01:27 PM

Hemi cars through 1964 had them. 4 speed cars through 1965 did too. The ball and trunnion setup is pretty darn strong and maintenance free. The boot is really about all that goes bad. Of course the resulting loss of grease would be the killer. I am using a '65 904 trans in my 360 powered '65 Dart bracket car. Still have the ball and trunnion setup. No problems even running drag radials, a bit higher stall, and Cheetah VB.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Converting pushbutton transmission.. - 03/14/12 01:43 PM

I agree the B&T is strong.My 65 4 speed still runs the OE one.Ive broken a bunch of rear joints but never had problems with the frt.I see kits on Ebay for usually about 60 bucks.Rocky
Posted By: 383man

Re: Converting pushbutton transmission.. - 03/14/12 02:33 PM

I went to the newer 727 in my 63 without the rear pump. Then I just had a driveshaft made. I think Imperial Service makes a kit that you can use the newer 727 work with the push buttons. I just slapped a floor shifter in mine but I want to go back to the push buttons as they are so cool. Ron
Posted By: savoy64

Re: Converting pushbutton transmission.. - 03/14/12 03:51 PM

there are several bolt on yokes that fit including the one on a cummins torqueflite 2wd tranny---bob
Posted By: dvw

Re: Converting pushbutton transmission.. - 03/14/12 08:46 PM

Al, regardless of which rear set-up you use I would a later front pump and wide bushing drum. That way you can use any late converter. The rest of the parts hold up fine in a 10.0 application. We'll see how the input and output shafts hold up in a low 9 second application soon. By the way the 65 tail shaft and extension housing can be either big or small block.
Doug
Posted By: VL21

Re: Converting pushbutton transmission.. - 03/15/12 02:49 AM

Quote:

I think Imperial Service makes a kit that you can use the newer 727 work with the push buttons.

Be very, very, wary about sending them anything, money or parts!
My friend who sent them both only recently got some of his parts and money back, after waiting a loooong time, and some conversations with attorneys.
He has given up on them. I suggested a 65 case, but he is going 4spd now.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Converting pushbutton transmission.. - 03/15/12 03:54 PM

Thanks for the info guys. At thsi point not sure what I will do. We may just jump right to redoing the entire car and not worry about the current drivetrain. Just wanted to drive it a bit with the pushbutton set up, but maybe we will just pull the 318 and pushbutton trans and begin the transformation into........
© 2024 Moparts Forums