Moparts

Question about steering coupler rebuild...

Posted By: closer9

Question about steering coupler rebuild... - 03/11/12 07:18 AM

Picked up a rebuild kit at the dealer the other day. Got it all tore down and cleaned up. However, I can't figure out what the little cardboard squares are for.

???

Thanks...
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Question about steering coupler rebuild... - 03/11/12 03:24 PM

Didn't know there were any non metallic parts in the kit
Posted By: Chi_Town_Runner

Re: Question about steering coupler rebuild... - 03/11/12 03:45 PM

Packaging?????

Never seen any cardboard.

Frank

Re: Question about steering coupler rebuild... - 03/11/12 03:50 PM

Well, there are three thin pieces about 1" square. Several of the eBay auctions show them in open kits. Everything came loose in a big sealed plastic bag with a small cardboard tray. Seemed kinda odd.
Posted By: moparbroz

Re: Question about steering coupler rebuild... - 03/11/12 03:56 PM

I know what you are talking about and I have the same question. I have the kit less the "metal" squares and somehow lost one of the originals. I don't know how they fit into the picture either. Someone on moparts will though I am fairly confident.

Quote:

Well, there are three thin pieces about 1" square. Several of the eBay auctions show them in open kits. Everything came loose in a big sealed plastic bag with a small cardboard tray. Seemed kinda odd.

Re: Question about steering coupler rebuild... - 03/11/12 03:58 PM

Here's a pic I just took...

Re: Question about steering coupler rebuild... - 03/11/12 05:07 PM

I have my original coupler. What is the model # for your kit?

Quote:

Re: Question about steering coupler rebuild... - 03/11/12 05:08 PM

And ontact info for the dealer you purchased from?

Quote:

Re: Question about steering coupler rebuild... - 03/12/12 05:21 PM

Well, I googled and googled, but all I could come up with was other people asking what the cardboard was for. Most seem to think they are coated with something to absorb moisture, and protect the parts.

So, went ahead with the rebuild, and tossed the cardboard squares. Coupler is nice and tight, and looks great with the satin black powder coat. Should have done this back when I put the car all toghether, but I was in a rush. Had to save some of the easy to get to things for later...

BTW, I got the kit at Springdale Dodge in Springdale, AR. It was right around $20. Part number 04443436AC. You can get a Dorman rebuild kit for around $8 from the parts stores, but I've been told the seal retainer doesn't fit too good. Dad used one on his truck, and agreed. I figured it was worth the extra money for a retainer that fit "better".

Re: Question about steering coupler rebuild... - 03/12/12 05:49 PM

Thanks for the part info!!

Quote:

Well, I googled and googled, but all I could come up with was other people asking what the cardboard was for. Most seem to think they are coated with something to absorb moisture, and protect the parts.

So, went ahead with the rebuild, and tossed the cardboard squares. Coupler is nice and tight, and looks great with the satin black powder coat. Should have done this back when I put the car all toghether, but I was in a rush. Had to save some of the easy to get to things for later...

BTW, I got the kit at Springdale Dodge in Springdale, AR. It was right around $20. Part number 04443436AC. You can get a Dorman rebuild kit for around $8 from the parts stores, but I've been told the seal retainer doesn't fit too good. Dad used one on his truck, and agreed. I figured it was worth the extra money for a retainer that fit "better".

Re: Question about steering coupler rebuild... - 03/13/12 01:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the part info!!

No problem. Glad I could help...
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Question about steering coupler rebuild... - 03/13/12 02:04 PM

I believe the paper pieces your talking about are just there to absorb moisture
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Question about steering coupler rebuild... - 03/13/12 02:50 PM

Quote:

I believe the paper peices your talking about are just there to absorb moisture