Moparts

custom brake lines

Posted By: Anonymous

custom brake lines - 10/22/08 02:59 AM

Am doing a front brake conversion on my 70 cuda. My question for you experts is I want to put line locks and am upgrading the master cylinder and am putting a new distribution block with a proportioning valve for the back drums and brake light switch all in one , nice stuff from ssbc. will have to put a custom brake line system to fit properly. The stock system has one line to the back and two to the front. This is kind of a stupid question but the driver side shorter lenght is curled in a loop, I assume this is to make the front lines equal lenght from the distribution block, right. To put the line lock in I will have to go from the dist block 2 lines into one and then one back into two, and then have the lenght from that point equal to both front brakes, right?
If this is the correct way of running the line? What is the easiest way to do this, bending and measuring myself or is there any companies that have a kit? I want this in stainless and lookin show quality. Can anyone help?
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: custom brake lines - 10/22/08 03:10 AM

Y ou can do this your self as long as your flaring tool will handel the SS line.

The upgrade MC will have 2 outputs, one for the front and one for the rear. Plumb the line lock between the MC and the distribution for the RH an LH front wheels.

There is no reason to have the brake lines the same length so why the coil is there I can't say. Manufactueres do coil the lines from the master to the PPV to compensate for flex in the firewall when the pedal is pushed though.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: custom brake lines - 10/22/08 03:37 AM

Thanks,your right two input and 2 outputs from dist. block. Not having to do the equal lenghts will make it alot eaisier.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: custom brake lines - 10/22/08 12:55 PM

As mentioned, if you want stainless you MUST get quality benders and double flare tools. Benders I have seen really nice from Eastwood, and I've used Imperial flare tools with good results
Posted By: cudabitten

Re: custom brake lines - 10/22/08 02:20 PM

What is the purpose of the coiled part that travels around the outside of the factory made brake lines?
Posted By: CJK440

Re: custom brake lines - 10/22/08 02:44 PM

Armor.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: custom brake lines - 10/22/08 02:47 PM

I've heard the coil around the line is to protect the lines from damage from the likes of flying rocks.

It also allows bending without kinking the line.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: custom brake lines - 10/22/08 03:08 PM

Quote:

It also allows bending without kinking the line.

Thats what i've figured as well.
© 2024 Moparts Forums