Moparts

92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please

Posted By: moparmojo

92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/22/08 02:01 AM

Man, it happened again! I was driving my 92 5.2 dodge ram today making and errand and it died...in the same damn intersection it dies at every time before. Sorry for bringing this up again, some of you will recall I had this same issue a year or so back. Seems like when it is cold I have this issue. I thought the problem was gone, but apparently that is not the case.But again I don't drive it much.

Here is what happened. I got in the truck, it was probably 40 or 50 degrees out....sunny. Truck started right up. I waited a second or two then drove away from home. About 600 yards from my house, I turn on the main street and drive approximately a 1/4 to 1/2 mile. There is a slight curve in the road then I come up to the fear intersection. As I pull up to the red light, I put my foot on the brake to slow down. As I am almost at a stop I can hear the truck getting quiet then it starts to die. It dies. I crank the truck. It turns over easy, but does not start. I remember something the dealer had told me the last time this occurred. He said to push the gas pedal all the way to the floor. He said this stops new fuel from being delivered. I do this and crank the truck. A few seconds later it starts. I gas it once or twice to clear it out, then put it in drive. It dies instantly. Urrghh!. So I put my flashers on as people are honking. Im in the turn lane. Same exact spot(literally, within 10ft). I floor it and recrank. It starts. I put in drive... it dies. So I repeat. This time, I left it in park. It seems to run fine, in park. I rev the motor up, hoping it will warm up and help eliminate this issue.

(Me and the dealer have always thought it was temp related)But after paying the dealer a $1000 for multiple diagnostic sessions I am not sure. I thought the last time they got it, but was still unsure, hence the reason I only really drive it when I need to pick up lumbar or it is warm out. Anyway, I let it warm a second or two in park, rev it up, and basically dump it into drive, it chirps a little bit, almost dies, but I gased it enough to get it driving. I drive about an 8th mile and park it. Go inside for 20mins, come back out. Starts right up, and I drive home.

This really bugs me, and I can't believe I am the only one to have this issue. I want this fixed but I am tired of throwing money and parts at this problem. Please anyone knowledgable, can you please help or ask a buddy mechanic or someone. Seriously, if I could get this fixed, I would even consider shipping some beer off to someone. Feel free to ask me questions. I am mostly a "parts changer"...not a mechanic, but I can answer most things we have previously done to it before.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/22/08 02:24 AM

My 83 318(2bbl carter) acts the same way because I have no choke at the moment. When it's fully warmed up it's pretty much OK. I cant offer much help but there's been several occaisons that I just wanted to floor it & blow it up & then leave it sit & call a cab.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/22/08 02:39 AM

older 5.2 - 5.9's were notorious for dist pickup plates

1st step is figure out if it's fuel or ignition problems
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/22/08 02:41 AM

I would start with reading for codes and fuel pressure readings. You may have to rig a fuel pressure guage up to monitor it when its acting up.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/22/08 03:15 AM

A very specfic transient issue. I'd suggest changing your routine to see if it's time, distance or road conditions. This may help pinpoint the issue.
I'd suggest finding a buddy with a scan tool to record the event. Look carefully at the fuel trim, ECT, timing, and any other voltages that change before and during this event.

My WA guess is that it sees a change in the coolant temp, changes the fuel curve and/or the idle air, and it dies.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/22/08 03:22 AM

First thing that popped into my mind was it sounds like your conver lock up isn't disengaging and it's causing your truck to act like a manual when you dont push the clutch in.

I wonder if there is a way it disable the lock up like you can do W/ a GM trans?

Or you could just try putting it in neutral the next time it feels like it's going to die.

I never had this problem nor do I know if it's even possible. Just what came to mind as I read your post.

Good luck

Posted By: DartGTX

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/22/08 03:26 AM

92 Ram used an SBEC controller. ECT is on a dual range scale. At cold start it has a 4.75 - 1.25 volt range. At approx 125 degrees F, the ECT volts should have dropped to 1.25v. At this voltage the SBEC internally adds a resistor and the ECT volts JUMP UP to approx. 3.75 and then again use the 5v scale downward as the engines continues to heat up. Verify that this transition is happening at approx 125 degrees then MOVE on............

Good luck
Posted By: 10sec440

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/22/08 04:38 AM

If it runs fine in park but dies when you put it in gear it may be a convertor issue like wildbill says. Being a 92 you might be able to unplug the lockup solenoid near where the shift shaft goes into the transmission.

If it dies while driving or in park/neutral it is something else.If it dies while driving don't try to restart it, leave the key on (put it in park), open the hood and find the shrader valve on the fuel rail. Take the cap off and CAREFULLY push the valve in with a pen or something. If the fuel shoots directly in your eyes and all over you, its probably not a fuel pressure issue. If it barely burbles out you have a problem.

If that all checks out post a list of the stuff the shop did and I'll give you more stuff to check. HTH, Chris.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...pleas - 10/22/08 12:29 PM

If it dies only when put in gear it sounds like a torque converter issue.My old 93 dakota did this and when i pulled the trans the pan was full of metal from the converter disenegrating.
Posted By: Scottmon

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/22/08 12:31 PM

I'd really look hard at the fuel pump module. Sounds like the pump is dying.
Posted By: limechallenger

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/22/08 01:22 PM

Quote:

I'd really look hard at the fuel pump module. Sounds like the pump is dying.

Or the filter on the pump may be plugged, after it sits for awhile the dirt moves away and it runs again ,I'd drop the tank and check for dirt in the tank,and change the pump filter! I had a similar problem with my 95 Ram!
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/22/08 04:49 PM

It runs fine when warm or sits after driving , have you changed the intake gasket? they are noted for their leaking also and it is a bit of a long shot check the bottom of the coil if mounted in the frt of engine if it has rust it is bad get another I have had more then my share of 5.2 and 5.9 engines that had that problem

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/22/08 06:27 PM

We previously gave the truck a tune up. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, cleaned the throttle body, checked the wiring and connections. Looking for loose or non grounded items. Without using a wire testor hard to tell if there are any wire breaks under the wire wrap. We have changed the coolant temp sensor, ait temp sensor and Map sensor. No codes from the computer. I have thought about the intake and or head gaskets, because the dealer once said he noticed a puff of smoke during start up. I have not actually seen this, but why would he make it up. I also thought about valve seals. But again, why only when it is cold? During the summer months it drives great. I am trying to keep the truck around because it is paid for and otherwise, nice to have for hauling. I am just finishing up my garage project and am anxious to finally get back to working on my muscle cars which have been sitting for 10 years, so I don't want to spend all my free time or money on this truck. So I am stuck because the dealer can't seem to find it without breaking my bank and the issue seems complex and above my previous attempts. But someone has to know.
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/22/08 07:34 PM

Quote:

92 Ram used an SBEC controller. ECT is on a dual range scale. At cold start it has a 4.75 - 1.25 volt range. At approx 125 degrees F, the ECT volts should have dropped to 1.25v. At this voltage the SBEC internally adds a resistor and the ECT volts JUMP UP to approx. 3.75 and then again use the 5v scale downward as the engines continues to heat up. Verify that this transition is happening at approx 125 degrees then MOVE on............

Good luck

I have a 92 5.2 Dakota that had the same symptoms. Had to replace the black box on the fender under the hood. SBEC controller?? Anyway. after we replaced it I never had another problem

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/22/08 09:07 PM

Quote:

We previously gave the truck a tune up. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, cleaned the throttle body, checked the wiring and connections. Looking for loose or non grounded items. Without using a wire testor hard to tell if there are any wire breaks under the wire wrap. We have changed the coolant temp sensor, ait temp sensor and Map sensor. No codes from the computer. I have thought about the intake and or head gaskets, because the dealer once said he noticed a puff of smoke during start up. I have not actually seen this, but why would he make it up. I also thought about valve seals. But again, why only when it is cold? During the summer months it drives great. I am trying to keep the truck around because it is paid for and otherwise, nice to have for hauling. I am just finishing up my garage project and am anxious to finally get back to working on my muscle cars which have been sitting for 10 years, so I don't want to spend all my free time or money on this truck. So I am stuck because the dealer can't seem to find it without breaking my bank and the issue seems complex and above my previous attempts. But someone has to know.

That cost you $1000.??? The intake gaskets or valve seals are not going to make it die on the road. You have to verify if its fuel or not. Go back and read my post again, that will determine if its fuel or not. Don't replace parts or drop the tank until you isolate the problem. It may be the computer although that year they were not bad for computers. Again, isolate the problem and go from there. I work on this stuff every day.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/23/08 02:31 AM

Ok, I will look at the fuel rail tomorrow for what you are talking about. Hard to test since you can never really tell when it will happen. HOwever, if I can determine your method is doable, I will try it the next time this occurs to try to help eliminate the fuel issue. But to me is always acts like it is flooding out. So I have always kind of believed it was some sort of electrical issue. One that tells the computer to take two reading then calculate the fuel needed. In error of course. I wonder if there is a way to test the truck computer? I think they want like $300 for a new computer. They are not cheap, but if I knew that was the problem, I would happily spend the money. Converter is an interesting idea also. First I have heard of it. Might be another possible area to focus on.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/23/08 02:51 AM

Do yourself a favor and actually test the fuel pressure with a guage. Knowing what the actual pressure reading is the correct way to diagnose the problem. To little pressure as well as to much fuel pressure will both cause a host of problems.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/23/08 02:51 AM

Is that a tbi? I had a 90 tbi equipped ramcharger with a bad sbec (computer) that would die when I hit a nasty bump, took a while to locate that prob. The bummer was, that the computer available at the dealer is only rebuilt and not available new. Still cured the prob. for me.
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/23/08 09:53 AM

Quote:

Do yourself a favor and actually test the fuel pressure with a guage. Knowing what the actual pressure reading is the correct way to diagnose the problem. To little pressure as well as to much fuel pressure will both cause a host of problems.

Also check your steel fuel line from the tank for rust. You may not see/smell anything, but a tiny pin-hole will defeat your pump. DAMHIK...
Posted By: Scottmon

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/23/08 12:25 PM

Quote:

Is that a tbi? I had a 90 tbi equipped ramcharger with a bad sbec (computer) that would die when I hit a nasty bump, took a while to locate that prob. The bummer was, that the computer available at the dealer is only rebuilt and not available new. Still cured the prob. for me.

'92 should be the SMPI Magnum motor.

Definitely, check fuel pressure and for any codes.
Posted By: Devil

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/23/08 03:17 PM

318 in 92 was Magnum
360 in 92 was TBI still
I can't remember V6's though, I think still TBI

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/24/08 12:07 AM

Have you gone thru this Service Bulletin? This is a heat and vibration sensitive area.
I would replace the connector and CPS just to have piece of mind. This problem may not always set a code.
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1992/18-04-92.htm
Posted By: gtx

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/24/08 02:23 AM

My 92 5.2L ramcharger would some times die when I pulled up to a stoplight. The converter was not unlocking. But the truck would always start right away without doing anything. I don't think it is the converter. I would say fuel issue.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/29/08 02:48 AM

Ok, bit of an update. Today, I needed the truck to pick up some molding. So I started it up and let it run for a minute or two before I got it. I put it in reverse and could here the truck start to sound weaker, so I also applied the bread and sure enough it died. So this time, I put it in park and pop the hood. I take off the cap and depress the valve on the fuel rail. I would say maybe a tablespoon or so of fuel jumped out, but that was it, even though the valve was depressed. I went around to the cab and tried to restart. It would only spin over. Then I again tried to floor the gas pedal. It started a few seconds later. I then put it in drive and tried again to brake the truck and it got quiet and died. I again tried to depress the vavle on the fuel rail and again only a tablespoon amount of fuel shot out. No more. Not knowing if this was the correct amount or not, I restarted the truck (gas pedal to floor method) and while it was running depressed the fuel rail valve. A lot more shot out, so I stopped.
After this the truck would not die again. So I went to the hardware store and came back. While re-reading the post I noticed you asked for me to leave the key in the ON position. I cannot recall if it was in the ON position or not. Not sure if any of what I did would help diagnos the issue.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/29/08 03:45 AM

Check the computer for error codes first. This is a logical first step in the diagnostic procedure. Fuel pump/pressure problems will not set a code but lets make sure there aren't other problems too. The 2 fuel squirts you refer to sound about right but that does not test the pressure. First off when it wont start, turn the key off and back to on and listen for the fuel pump in the tank to hum for 2 to 3 seconds. No hum=no start. Electric fuel pumps do strange things when their bearings start to freeze up, like no starts and poor performance. This is why you should always keep at least a 1/4 tank of fuel to help cool the fuel pump. When it doesn't start you can also try a shot of starting fluid in the throttle body, if it starts and dies then you know you have a fuel problem. Just went thru this on a 91 Mercury, replaced the pump and all is well.

PROCEDURE

Turn ignition switch ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON in less than 5 seconds, observe the Malfunction Indicator Lamp. The Malfunction indicator lamp should flash a series of codes. Flashes will be separated by short or long pauses. A long pause indicates a change from "tens" to "ones" position, or a change to next code.

For example a single flash followed by a long pause and then 2 more flashes separated by a short pause and followed by a long pause would indicate a code 12.

FLASH........FLASH...FLASH........

A code 55 will be displayed at the end of the test.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/29/08 04:07 AM

There should be 40 or 50 psi at the fuel rail. If there was you would know it, doesn't sound like you do to me. Now you have narrowed it down you should put a guage on it to verify. If you in fact don't have pressure I would check for power at the pump while cranking to be sure it's the pump. If you have power you need a pump, no power you have an electrical problem.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 10/29/08 04:58 AM

He needs to check for code 11 first in the computer. If there is a Crank or Cam position sensor problem this will drop the ASD/Fuel Pump relays and cut off power to parts of the igniton system and fuel pump, thus cranking and checking for voltage will show 0 after about 3 seconds. The fuel pump will not run if the computer does not see pulses from BOTH sensors.

Fuel Pump Relay Description and Operation
Relay is mounted in engine compartment, on the left inner fender.

PURPOSE

Relay supplies battery voltage to fuel pump and oxygen sensor heater element when energized by Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

OPERATION

PCM energizes fuel pump relay by supplying relay ground, when ignition switch is in START or RUN position and PCM is receiving a reference signal from distributor.

When PCM does not receive reference signal from ignition system, (indicating engine is not running), then the PCM interrupts relay ground circuit and no voltage is supplied to fuel pump, ignition coil, or oxygen sensor heater element.

PCM controls fuel pump relay and Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay simultaneously, through same ground circuit.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 11/01/08 05:06 AM

Quote:

He needs to check for code 11 first in the computer. If there is a Crank or Cam position sensor problem this will drop the ASD/Fuel Pump relays and cut off power to parts of the igniton system and fuel pump, thus cranking and checking for voltage will show 0 after about 3 seconds. The fuel pump will not run if the computer does not see pulses from BOTH sensors.

Overcomplicated, all you have to do is check for power at the pump and if there is no power work toward the front. Chances are he will have power and need a pump. If he was a tech and had a scanner, voltmeter and service manual the other way would be the way to go.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 11/01/08 05:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Overcomplicated, all you have to do is check for power at the pump and if there is no power work toward the front. Chances are he will have power and need a pump. If he was a tech and had a scanner, voltmeter and service manual the other way would be the way to go.

There wont be any power at the pump after 2 to 3 seconds after turning the key to on!! The electric pump does not recieve power all the time, if it did and you had an accident then it would spill gas all over the place and cause a fire. Checking for codes is simple and the first part of diagnostics. Using the key to retieve codes is very simple. There IS NOT Power to the fuel pump all the time...read up on the theory. With no power there due to the enginnering design your diagnostic tip is useless. No pulses from crank or cam position sensor and there is NO power at the pump.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 11/01/08 05:46 AM

The theory again....

Description and Operation

Relay is mounted in engine compartment, on the left inner fender.

PURPOSE

Relay supplies battery voltage to fuel pump and oxygen sensor heater element when energized by Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

OPERATION

PCM energizes fuel pump relay by supplying relay ground, when ignition switch is in START or RUN position and PCM is receiving a reference signal from distributor.

When PCM does not receive reference signal from ignition system, (indicating engine is not running), then the PCM interrupts relay ground circuit and no voltage is supplied to fuel pump, ignition coil, or oxygen sensor heater element.

PCM controls fuel pump relay and Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay simultaneously, through same ground circuit.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 11/02/08 01:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There wont be any power at the pump after 2 to 3 seconds after turning the key to on!! The electric pump does not recieve power all the time, if it did and you had an accident then it would spill gas all over the place and cause a fire. Checking for codes is simple and the first part of diagnostics. Using the key to retieve codes is very simple. There IS NOT Power to the fuel pump all the time...read up on the theory. With no power there due to the enginnering design your diagnostic tip is useless. No pulses from crank or cam position sensor and there is NO power at the pump.

Oh I know the theory, I have 22 years of Chrysler training to prove it. Again, if you read my earlier posts, you have to check for power WHILE CRANKING.I was trying to help the guy with his problem the EASIEST WAY with very little equipment. If he has power at the pump while cranking he need not look any further.I am done here,mojo if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 11/02/08 04:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh I know the theory, I have 22 years of Chrysler training to prove it. Again, if you read my earlier posts, you have to check for power WHILE CRANKING.I was trying to help the guy with his problem the EASIEST WAY with very little equipment. If he has power at the pump while cranking he need not look any further.I am done here,mojo if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck.

Once again...you will NOT have 12 volts at the pump after 2 to 3 seconds IF the Cam Position Sensor or the Crank Position sensor is faulty while cranking! Read the theory again! The fuel pump relay ONLY supplies voltage to the fuel pump when the computer sees pulses from the sensors, if no pulse(as in bad sensor) that means NO voltage. So why check for voltage on a circuit that may not have it there by engineering design? The easiest way to do this is to use the ignition key and check for error codes first. Thats not too hard is it? Dont need a scanner for this. With your theory that the fuel pump gets voltage all the time would also mean that if injectors are pulsing along with the fuel pump running and there is no spark the engine would hydrolock with fuel! No way.
Now you could jumper the relay to test the wiring back to the fuel pump but then you have to be certain that 12 volts is actually leaving the relay before you go back to the fuel pump.

To the original poster, sorry for side tracking the problem but you must receive the correct information or you will be chasing ghosts.

I also have experience of 39 years.

Regards-Stevo

When PCM does not receive reference signal from ignition system, (indicating engine is not running), then the PCM interrupts relay ground circuit and no voltage is supplied to fuel pump , ignition coil, or oxygen sensor heater element.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 11/02/08 05:07 AM

Stevo - I am not disagreeing with you. I was just trying to simplify it for the guy as he obviously doesn't have 22 or 39 years of training or whatever.Its also evident he doesn't have alot of diagnostic equipment.The key on off 3 times thing can be quite confusing to explain if you've never seen it done before. If he checks for power at the pump while cranking one of two things are going to happen:1)- he will have no power at any time and will KNOW he has an electrical problem whether its a cam/crank sensor, PCM, fuel pump relay or whatever,or 2)-he will have 2 or 3 seconds of power and know that its most likely the pump itself. You know yourself if he has 2 or 3 seconds of (power at the pump and) pump pressure it should at least fire for a couple of seconds.
Posted By: 5537SG

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 11/02/08 03:02 PM

The way I read it is both you guys are saying the same thing and both are correct, if the PCM doesnt get the crank reference within 3-5 seconds after key turns on, then the pump +12V (from the relay) will be cut off.

accessing the on board diagnostics wont do much unless its stored the code 11.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 11/02/08 03:08 PM

The problem is the poster of this thread has done nothing to properly verify a few simple items. He needs to check for codes and verify actual fuel pressure when its acting up. Duh..................
Posted By: 5537SG

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 11/02/08 04:15 PM

he does need to do that. I think we all know it too. At this point he may consider spending a few dollars on a fuel pressure guage and rig something up. Nothing fancy, just a cheap guage and some hose or whatever that wont leak. No need for a fancy test kit to do this.

Ive driven many miles with the fuel pressure guage propped up under the windshield wiper of countless cars.

fuel pressure should be one of the first things checked with drivability problems.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 11/02/08 05:23 PM

Quote:

he does need to do that. I think we all know it too. At this point he may consider spending a few dollars on a fuel pressure guage and rig something up. Nothing fancy, just a cheap guage and some hose or whatever that wont leak. No need for a fancy test kit to do this.

Ive driven many miles with the fuel pressure guage propped up under the windshield wiper of countless cars.

fuel pressure should be one of the first things checked with drivability problems.

Exactly................

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 11/02/08 07:22 PM

You're correct. I am slowly trying to diagnos the problem. And for the record, I consider myself a parts changer. No father son training, just sort of self taught. Electrical problems are usually my worst issues.
I did play with the truck the other day. Hard to diagnos because it does not always act up or die. I definately feel it is temp related. When it is colder out, it seem more likely this will occur. But not after it is warmed up for a long while. I got the truck to die, so I checked for codes. The only code I got was #12 & #55. I did have the battery out the other day while cleaning the terminals. Next I will go get a fuel pressure gauge and try to get it hooked up for more info on this issue. I appreciate all the input, the dealer has had the truck 3 times and failed to correctly fix the problem. As I said before, I spent a bit of money with them trying to get it fixed, so I did not want to go back to them again. Can someone tell me where I will need to hook the fuel pressure gauge to?
Posted By: mopowered

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 11/02/08 08:20 PM

Connect the fuel pressure gauge to the fuel pressure test port on the drivers side fuel rail - it is pointed straight up and is located just to the rear of the middle (around the area where the rail gets it's fuel feed from). I recommend a long hose where you can see the gauge while in the cab - I pinch mine between the wiper and windshield with it's face oriented so that I can see/read the gauge while cranking & driving.

BTW - I had the exact same problem (dies in certain spot only) with an '89 Ramcharger. It turned out to be a fuel return line that was getting pinched but only under certain circumstances (when enough fuel vapor would build up in the plastic tank causing it to expand). The motor would idle fine but would die as soon as any load was placed on it = not enough fuel under certain conditions.

The fuel gauge on the windshield showed this perfectly.
Posted By: mike s

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 11/02/08 08:31 PM

Fuel pump problem is very likely. Had a couple do very similar things.Check the fuel pressure, should be 40 with Sbec III.Very rare but it is also possible that the fuel press reg might be bad.(it's on the rail)BTW 3.9L and 5.2L in 92 were both SMPI w/return fuel.All Magnums 1993 3.9L,5.2L,5.9L and up were returnless fuel system.Fuel press regulated in the tank by the pump.

Re: 92 Ram. Im begging for good mechanic advice...please - 11/03/08 03:10 AM

Quote:

Stevo - I am not disagreeing with you. I was just trying to simplify it for the guy as he obviously doesn't have 22 or 39 years of training or whatever.Its also evident he doesn't have alot of diagnostic equipment.The key on off 3 times thing can be quite confusing to explain if you've never seen it done before. If he checks for power at the pump while cranking one of two things are going to happen:1)- he will have no power at any time and will KNOW he has an electrical problem whether its a cam/crank sensor, PCM, fuel pump relay or whatever,or 2)-he will have 2 or 3 seconds of power and know that its most likely the pump itself. You know yourself if he has 2 or 3 seconds of (power at the pump and) pump pressure it should at least fire for a couple of seconds.

My apologies to any one and every one that I may have put on edge. It was not intentional. Let's get back to the problem. Let's ee what he gets for fuel pressure.

mojo..do one more thing for me. Disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes, re-connect and try to start. Then check codes again and let us know if a code 11 comes up.
Thx-Stevo
© 2024 Moparts Forums