Moparts

71 Satellite dash

Posted By: edp

71 Satellite dash - 03/08/12 05:03 AM

extra holes on bottom of dash - are they meant for anything in particular?

what are the rectangular holes for?

the rubber bumpers in the glove box & ash tray - are they available?

Other questions - is this a wiring chase or perhaps for a AC or heater hose?

How does the glove box knob come off?

Anyone need an original speaker

what does this attach too - firewall??

Going to start the body work on the dash & get it painted - was satin black a standard dash color ? I have black panels & white bucket seats, probably use a white/off white headliner but also wondered about stock headliner colors too, anyone know?

Who makes aftermarket headliners?

Yeah I know,lots of questions - thanks for the help, much appreciated!

evan
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/08/12 05:50 AM

Heres a pic showing the harness channel and the radio brace. 2 items you asked about.
Holes under the dash. On the drivers side is 3 set of 2 angled holes. Those are for the accessory switches. Rear defrost, A/G hood, ect. Under the ash tray are two pairs of holes for the vent cables. Your's looks a little messed up.

Attached picture 7108733-DCP_8036.jpg

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/08/12 05:58 AM

Also for the switches.
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/08/12 06:42 AM

Quote:

Also for the switches.

Actually, I think the rectangular holes are for the light from the bulbs on the underdash switches (A/G, rear defrost, etc.) to shine on the switch bezels/labels/knobs.

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/08/12 07:00 AM

hey thanks guys,a pic's worth a 1000 words sometimes. Didin't even dawn on me that that could be a radio bracket! Anybody got pic's of the switches & lights your talking about for under the dash?

Anyone have any idea's on the other stuff - headliner, dash colors, etc...?

Oh yeah, am I dreaming to want a tic-toc tach instead of my clock?

Thx!
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/08/12 07:12 AM

Quote:

hey thanks guys,a pic's worth a 1000 words sometimes. Didin't even dawn on me that that could be a radio bracket! Anybody got pic's of the switches & lights your talking about for under the dash?

I don't, but perhaps 72RoadRunnerGTX may chime in - he's got pictures of durn near everything on his...

Quote:

Anyone have any idea's on the other stuff - headliner, dash colors, etc...?

Mine's all one color (dark green), so can't say other than dash should probably be black if the interior is black and white. Others here have two-tone interiors, so they may chime in...

Quote:

Thx!

71-74 clock/tach hole only can do a clock OR a tach. I don't think tic-toc-tach was available for our cars - think that was 68-70 only. Unless aftermarket has come up with something.
Posted By: 72roadrunnergtx

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/08/12 07:31 AM

You rang? Here's an Air Grabber switch for that dash with light fixture that shines through the rectangular hole to illuminate the switch bezel.

Posted By: 71383beep

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/08/12 02:54 PM

Quote:

Thx!

Well for 71 to 74 if you already have a clock dash you can switch it too a tach, but they did not make a tic-toch tach. Its one or the other unfortunately. At least you have a dash with the clock. They had a bother kind that had a combination oil and water gauge pod and those dashes do not readily take the optional tach or clock.

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/08/12 11:29 PM

why did some dashes have the AC/heat vent on the drivers side & some not. 72 RR's has the vent & I'm planning on running an AC setup, probably stock as I have the AC heater box but have considered the aftermarket ones that retro in as well.

At least know I know I cant have the tic - toc, I'll switch to a tach. I presume I can buy a repop one ?

Thx!

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/09/12 02:11 AM

Theres an A/C dash frame and a non-A/C frame. Difference is the drivers side vent for A/C.
Reproduction tachs are out there.

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/09/12 05:18 AM

is the drivers side vent the only difference between an AC dash & a non AC dash or are there other subtleties I should be aware of?

I do have a vent for the drivers side, I could fab the hole in if its the only difference but it'd be nice to have a oic of an AC dash frame as well.

thanks ,Evan

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/09/12 05:32 AM

I have an extra A/C dash frame hanging around If you need one.
Posted By: express

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/09/12 04:03 PM

Glove box lock. On inside of door you should see a small slot in the lock housing. Look in this slot, you should see a wafer, press in with a paper clip & pull cylinder out. May need to trip latch so cylinder will turn so that you can see it. If you have key insert it first, if not you may need to push in on each wafer one at a time.

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/10/12 04:54 PM

Hi Doug, I sent you a PM.
Thanks, Evan
Posted By: bfury

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/10/12 08:51 PM

Another question if I can hop on. Does anyone know the location of the screws to take the dash pad off?

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/14/12 04:42 AM

Hi Doug (72Roadrunner) - I sent you a PM about the dash & misc=, not sure if you've seen it yet or not. Please give me a shout when you get a chance - thanks a lot!

Hi other Doug (Express) here's some pic's of the glove box door & lock that I'm trying to get the lock cylinder out of, maybe you can show me something obvious I'm missing!

and here's some updated pic's of the dash after a little hammer & dolly work, welding, grinding, filler & sanding down. I plan on shooting it in epoxy then topping with SEM hot rod black.

Thanks all!

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/14/12 05:55 AM

Evan,
Do you have the key for the lock? The correct procedure to remove the lock cylinder requires having the key and the latch in the lock position, key removed. You should then see a spring loaded tang through the small square hole in the bottom of the hatch housing. Depress the tang with a small tool of some kind and insert the key; lock cylinder should then slide out. Without the key there is another small square hole 90 degrees away, under one of the mounting tabs and difficult to get to with the latch in the door, would have to depress the retaining tab and the tumblers one at a time to get the cylinder out intact.
Check your pm, talk soon

Posted By: express

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/14/12 02:58 PM

I agree with the other Doug Great minds think alike. Sometimes they will stick, get your finger nails behind the thumb turn & pull when you push in the retainer.+

Here is one of my favorite tools for retainers.

Attached picture 7118049-100_1658.jpg
Posted By: bee71mopar

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/14/12 03:09 PM

Also on the bottom of the dash, 4 of the holes could be used for the fresh air cables.
Good job on filling those holes on the bottom.
Posted By: CDN72SE

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/14/12 06:20 PM

Three possibilities for the underdash holes.

Posted By: CDN72SE

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/14/12 06:24 PM

The rubber bumpers in the glove box & ash tray you can find at R/T Specialties: http://www.rtspecialties.net/ just do a searh on glove box or ash tray. They may be available at other places as well.

Re: 71 Satellite dash - 03/14/12 09:57 PM

Thanks all! I try the lock method again - I do have the key & have tried it already both in & out, I'll get it it's just annoying something so simple can be a pain in the a**.

I think I have one of those tools somewhere.......

I'll post some pic's of the dash when its painted.
© 2024 Moparts Forums