Moparts

Timing with vacuum advance

Posted By: 73rrak

Timing with vacuum advance - 03/07/12 10:27 PM

I'm new to tuning with vacuum advance and I have a few questions. I shortened my mechanical advance slots to .375. I set my initial to 16 (vacuum unplugged) and get a total of 32 ( vacuum unplugged). When I connect the vacuum advance my initial goes to about 20 and my total goes to about 40. I haven't driven it yet but it idles pretty good with the vacuum unplugged and idles like crap with the vacuum plugged in. Does anybody have any info to post that would help me or feel like taking the time to walk me thru this ?
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: Timing with vacuum advance - 03/07/12 10:32 PM

hooked to wrong port
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Timing with vacuum advance - 03/07/12 10:32 PM

Sounds like you're plugging it in to manifold vacuum. Try ported vacuum instead.

Re: Timing with vacuum advance - 03/07/12 10:37 PM

It's connected to the passenger side of the front metering block of my 800 Holley. Is this right or wrong ?
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: Timing with vacuum advance - 03/07/12 11:27 PM

DOES IT HAVE VACCUM AT IDLE?
Posted By: DARTH V8Я

Re: Timing with vacuum advance - 03/08/12 12:19 AM

Quote:

It's connected to the passenger side of the front metering block of my 800 Holley. Is this right or wrong ?

Depending on the metering block, sometimes it ported vacuume, sometimes not. As suggested, just start the engine let it idle and see if theres suction at the port. If there is, maybe another source somewhere on the carb.

Re: Timing with vacuum advance - 03/08/12 02:03 AM

It does have vacuum at idle and it's the only port it has on the carb besides the ones on the base plate. I disconnected the vacuum advance and drove it and it runs great so I think I will just leave it disconnected for now. I put up another post about my coil terminal smoking almost sounds like I'm still chasing gremlins.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Timing with vacuum advance - 03/08/12 02:24 AM

there's gotta be a ported nipple on there somewhere. that or the throttle plate is opened to far @idle
© 2024 Moparts Forums