Moparts

Adding accessories to fuse box

Posted By: dfsmopars

Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/07/12 03:56 AM

How do you add accessories to an electrical system and wire them in other than sticking the end of the wire behind a barrel fuse?
What items do you need to cleanly, safely and economically add on items needing power? For example: stereo, electric choke, electric fuel pump, 12v power sources and so forth.
Posted By: meepmeep70

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/07/12 04:09 AM

the back of the fuse box has extra male spades,put a female spade on 12v power lead to fuse box,my car is a road runner,so i had a couple extra spots
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/07/12 05:40 AM

My preference is to wire in a completely new modern fuse panel in a convenient spot and feed it direct from the battery with fusible link/fuse/breaker protection between batt and new fuse box.

Most of the modern stuff we add draws a fair amount of current and I wouldn't trust it to a 40 year old harness or fusebox...The bonus is that if you wire all your new goodies to a seperate box with it's own main feed, troubleshooting is pretty easy.

Don't forget to upgrade to a bigger alternator, think about bypassing the factory amp gauge, and make sure to run a larger main charge wire direct from alternator to starter relay or battery.

I used this one when I wired in extras to my 68 charger.

Attached picture 7107047-fuseblock110001.JPG
Posted By: dfsmopars

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/07/12 12:03 PM

Well I think you are dead on. That makes sense and is probably the best overall route.
Posted By: roe

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/08/12 03:23 AM

I was actually wondering something similar. I have added some aftermarket guages and stereo that draw power from the keyed 12v slot on the fuse box (female spade connector). Just last week I added a pair of electrical fans and dumped the mechanical, and it had to be hooked up to a keyed 12v source and the only one that I know of is the one that the other items are hooked to so I put it there. Now I've been thinking about it I dont like how much current is being drawn thru that one keyed 12v port when the fans kick on. Where else can I find another keyed source for 12 volts? Or what can I do to safely create a new keyed 12v port, or even upgrade my current one to be able to handle that kind of draw?

I havent had any issues but I have only run the car long enought to verify proper functioning of the fans going on and off at the proper preset temps. I dont want to burn my car up. Any suggestions?

Hope Im not hijacking

Thanks
roe
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/08/12 03:31 AM

Quote:

Any suggestions?
Hope Im not hijacking

Not hijacking. Could power the large draws right from the alt output stud using relay(s) triggered by an underdash switch(s). This'd keep the extra out of the bulkhead and keep the ammeter honest.
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/08/12 06:23 AM

Quote:

I was actually wondering something similar. I have added some aftermarket guages and stereo that draw power from the keyed 12v slot on the fuse box (female spade connector). Just last week I added a pair of electrical fans and dumped the mechanical, and it had to be hooked up to a keyed 12v source and the only one that I know of is the one that the other items are hooked to so I put it there. Now I've been thinking about it I dont like how much current is being drawn thru that one keyed 12v port when the fans kick on. Where else can I find another keyed source for 12 volts? Or what can I do to safely create a new keyed 12v port, or even upgrade my current one to be able to handle that kind of draw?

I havent had any issues but I have only run the car long enought to verify proper functioning of the fans going on and off at the proper preset temps. I dont want to burn my car up. Any suggestions?

Hope Im not hijacking

Thanks
roe

Ideally, fans should not be switched only, they should be triggered by a temp sensor. It's too easy to forget to turn them on and if you aren't paying attention...you know the rest. That sensor should trigger a relay that will supply direct battery voltage to your fans, protected with fuses/breaker/fus link, whatever your preference. Heavy duty stuff like fans tend to spike when initially turned on so a breaker might be best. I use fuses and haven't had an issue though. You could rig up a switch to override the temp sensor to run the fans even after you shut it down to help cool off those underhood temps...this will kill your battery if your not careful but is convenient after waiting in bumper to bumper traffic getting into a cruise or show.

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/09/12 04:27 PM

They are triggered by a temp sensor as well, but when they are wired to direct battery voltage the temp sensor allows the fans to keep running even after the car is shut down, until the temp reaches the adjustable shutoff temp. Thats why I ran it to a keyed power source so that the fans wouldn't run after shut down. It keeps the fans completely automatic and only allows them to run if the car is running and the temp is above the turn on temp. I just dont like the amount of current thats running through that keyed connection point.

I suppose I could switch it over to a constant 12v which would allow the fans to run after shutoff, and just live with it if I have to. But I would prefer to keep it a keyed 12v.
Posted By: 1970A66

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/09/12 05:13 PM

Quote:

Or what can I do to safely create a new keyed 12v port, or even upgrade my current one to be able to handle that kind of draw?

My suggestion is to use a relay to power your electric fans.
Your fan supply would connect to your battery positive (or similar) and pass thru the relay contact to power up the fans. There would be a fuse inline between the battery and relay. The relay would turn on/off based upon the thermostat controller and that control would get its power from the keyed or non-keyed power.
You can buy relay kits or buy the pieces and custom build one.

This will allow you to power higher current demand devices such as fans, stereo's etc.
Lower current devices such as gauges can be powered from the acc fuse block terminal OR....... up under these Mopar dashes you have molded power plugs that have 3 female ports to plug into. Some ports are hot all the time and some are ignition key controlled.

The clock, glove box lamp and cigarette etc are hot all the time for example.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/09/12 05:26 PM

I agree, run it off a relay that has keyed power with the temp sensor as the ground to trigger it.
do not let the fan run all the time controled by the temp switch.

had many a dead battery because of that. not fun trying to get a jump start even if you have your own cables.

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/09/12 05:41 PM

You can get battery power from your starter relay terminal.
And keyed power too I think.
You could mount the relay hidden under the battery tray............

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/09/12 06:48 PM

starter relay only gets "key" power during start.
for power during run, you would have to tap off the wire going to the vr and balast resistor(same line really).

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/09/12 08:16 PM

Quote:

starter relay only gets "key" power during start.
for power during run, you would have to tap off the wire going to the vr and balast resistor(same line really).

If I were to tap into one of these wires for my fan power, would that affect my ignition at all? Would it drop the voltage to my ignition system? I ask because I have the pertronix setup and it requires a full 12 volts.

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/09/12 09:31 PM

not if you tap into it to switch on a relay.
if you used it to directly power your fan, then yes probably.

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/09/12 10:10 PM

Quote:

not if you tap into it to switch on a relay.
if you used it to directly power your fan, then yes probably.

I agree!!

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/09/12 11:14 PM

this is the controller that is on the fans now. The way I have it set up is the same way it was hooked up on the truck of the guy I got the whole setup from because I could not find instructions anywhere.

Connections are set up as follows:

c-ground to frame
2-ground wires from the fan
I have the power wires from the fan connected directly to the "keyed" 12v source on the fusebox so it only gets power during run, and there are fuses between the fan and the keyed 12v. It works this way but I dont like all that current going through that connection.

Before I buy a relay setup, I was wondering if what I have can be setup differently to where it allows me to connect the fans power wires directly to constant 12v and not have the fans get power when car is not in run.

If not, do you have a part number for a relay that can be had at autozone, advance, o'reilly's, etc...

thanks
roe
Posted By: 73rrak

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/09/12 11:35 PM

You don't need a "relay setup " Just get a fog lamp relay from Autozone they cost about $5. The wire you have powering your fan now would go to the coil side of the relay ( 85)fused. You will also need a ground for the coil side of the relay ( 86 ). You could use the wire from your stock type temp switch for ground. Then run a wire from your battery to the relay ( 30 )fused. then run a wire from the relay to your fan ( 87 ) fused and that's it. The termial numbers are marked near the post on the bottom of the relay and it also tells you what terminal is what on the side of the relay. The relay should take less than 1 amp from your keyed circuit and will pull the power directly from the battery. The fans will also turn off when the key is turned off.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/09/12 11:52 PM

It's a good idea to always use relays for high amp draw items, source the power for them from a distribution point that doesn't go through the bulkhead connectors on the firewall, and is directly fed from a fused main alternator circuit.

This page helped me a lot when it comes to relays.

http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/bosch/relay.htm

Attached picture 7111196-IMG_1351(Large).JPG

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/10/12 12:02 AM

Quote:

You don't need a "relay setup " Just get a fog lamp relay from Autozone they cost about $5. The wire you have powering your fan now would go to the coil side of the relay ( 85)fused. You will also need a ground for the coil side of the relay ( 86 ). You could use the wire from your stock type temp switch for ground. Then run a wire from your battery to the relay ( 30 )fused. then run a wire from the relay to your fan ( 87 ) fused and that's it. The termial numbers are marked near the post on the bottom of the relay and it also tells you what terminal is what on the side of the relay. The relay should take less than 1 amp from your keyed circuit and will pull the power directly from the battery. The fans will also turn off when the key is turned off.

thanks a lot guys. Going to pick one up now and give it a shot. I'll post back with results

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/10/12 12:11 AM

do you have a part number for the relay? I want to make sure they have one in stock before I drive over. Or can I use any one of the fog lamp relays that pop up in autozones search feature?

thanks
roe
Posted By: 73rrak

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/10/12 12:35 AM

Either one of these will work. If your not sure how many amps you fans draw get the 30 amp unit. They all wire up pretty much the same

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accesso...ier=946045_0_0_

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accesso...equestid=252482
Posted By: edp

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/10/12 01:38 AM

I added one of these to my Datsun project for all the additional electrical needs - amp, mirror, electric fan, etc... & it worked great.

I hard grounded the box & ran homerun wires to all the demand items - works beautifully!

the really cool thing about this box is its ability to go from switched to constant power in the block by just moving a fuse.

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/10/12 02:42 AM

Quote:

I added one of these to my Datsun project for all the additional electrical needs - amp, mirror, electric fan, etc... & it worked great.

I hard grounded the box & ran homerun wires to all the demand items - works beautifully!

the really cool thing about this box is its ability to go from switched to constant power in the block by just moving a fuse.

wow 80 bucks.

there are way cheaper ways to do it, just as neatly package.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=4402

buy 2 and a 5 dollar relay and you can have one block constant power, the other by the key. and you still saved 40 bucks.

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/10/12 03:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

wow 80 bucks.

there are way cheaper ways to do it, just as neatly package.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselction.asp?Product=4402

buy 2 and a 5 dollar relay and you can have one block constant power, the other by the key. and you still saved 40 bucks.

Wow, I think Im going to hook this one up to get her back together and to play around with electrical some more, then I'll order one of these and be able to remove everything from the 12v keyed source that Im using and run it all from the relay/fusebox. I'd feel a lot better about my bulkhead/fusebox area then.

thanks again guys, and I hope I didnt hijack from the OP. I thought this info might help you out too

roe

Re: Adding accessories to fuse box - 03/11/12 02:08 AM

Well I got it in and wired up and all is well. It's working perfectly. I also took it as a chance to redo some crimp connections and organize my wiring under dash, and underhood. It looks a lot better

roe
© 2024 Moparts Forums