Moparts

Freeze plug question

Posted By: Blown_Hemi

Freeze plug question - 05/21/08 11:07 AM

I came across a JY motor that has a small washer glued to the freeze plug. It reads " Pioneer Void if Removed". What are these? I have never ran across something like this before.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Freeze plug question - 05/21/08 12:12 PM

jy use them,they are a thermal thingy that will melt and come off if it runs hot

they will not replace it,no warranty for a used engine that has gone bad

just there way of knowing if its been run hot

I think about 260* its melted and off

Posted By: dodgeram440

Re: Freeze plug question - 05/21/08 01:55 PM

Actually, they are used on reman/crate engines for the same reason. If you found one on a jy engine, chances are it's a reman. I really doubt that after taking shortcuts removing the engine like cutting hoses, clipping wires and torching mounts and brackets, a jy will take the time to replace a freeze plug. Maybe they do in your area, but around here they don't.
Posted By: Blown_Hemi

Re: Freeze plug question - 05/22/08 11:12 AM

Thanks guys. I thought maybe that is what they were. I have just never have seen them before, heard about things like that though on reman engines. I will take a torch to them and see if they do melt. There was one on each cylinder bank.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Freeze plug question - 05/22/08 02:10 PM

yea reman engines from auto zone and places will have them

around my area they are on better up scale jy that sell the barly used auto parts

and yes I have got them all cut out and have the ends still attached to the engine from them as well,they call it a complete engine,all sender units and most of the stock wire connections will be there also

© 2024 Moparts Forums