Moparts

Chroming small parts

Posted By: mopars4ever

Chroming small parts - 03/05/12 01:47 AM

Who does chrome plating of smaller parts at a decent price?
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Chroming small parts - 03/05/12 02:03 PM

Go to a local motorcycle shop or two who does customizing and ask who they use.
Posted By: wicked

Re: Chroming small parts - 03/06/12 02:22 AM

A lot of the bike shops use

http://www.brownsplating.com/

chroming is costly
Posted By: oldsklharo

Re: Chroming small parts - 03/06/12 02:46 AM

I've used Bush Polishing out of California. Does a great job and is really reasonable
Posted By: burdar

Re: Chroming small parts - 03/06/12 04:10 AM

Most of the cost is in the prep. Even small parts can take a lot of time. I had my original antenna bezel rechromed because the repop didn't fit the fender. It cost me $50 but it looks and fits perfect.
Posted By: 3ddart

Re: Chroming small parts - 03/06/12 12:01 PM

fyi: i just had 2 vent window troughs (the piece the vent window sits in) done and the guy said $50 min for any piece. cost me $150 for the 2 troughs.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Chroming small parts - 03/06/12 04:18 PM

ok, thanks for help
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Chroming small parts - 03/07/12 02:04 AM

Common problems with chrome platers :
1} "We did alot more work on the part than we originally thought so the actual price is double than the estimate do you want the part or not???" {window vent trim} Try getting away with that one in another industry...

2}"We ruined your part but if you send us another we'll still do it at the original quote" {a perfect, back window vent assembly for a 66 t-bird that got broke from a poor shipping box on the "ride" home... cost me 300 to replace}

3} "Sorry that's the best we could do" { Chrome potmetal lettering that was'nt pitted but the outer ridge detail was lost during the plating/polishing process}

These were some of the nightmares I've encountered over the years from various "reputable" platers.... I could go on but I'd just scare you more...

Choose wizely....

Re: Chroming small parts - 03/07/12 01:56 PM

Quote:

I could go on but I'd just scare you more...

Or you could buy NOS from Frank... Now that's scary...
Posted By: Pntastar69

Re: Chroming small parts - 03/07/12 02:06 PM

New England Chrome replated 2 fender mounted turn signals a few years ago to a tune of $80. They had no pits, nice and smooth, but the chrome was rubbed down to the copper in a few places. They did nice work and charged what they quoted me.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Chroming small parts - 03/15/12 12:23 PM

Are any of the
fake chrome
Do it yourself kits, or paints
Worthwhile?

I need to rechrome a small mild steel lever on a wheel chair
Mainly for corrosion resistance
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Chroming small parts - 03/15/12 08:21 PM

Why not cadmium plate it (the process we use on door strikers) It won't chip and can take repeated abuse. Looks like a polished galvanized steel piece when done
Posted By: 360view

Re: Chroming small parts - 03/16/12 12:44 PM

Is there a DIY cadmium plating kit?

Re: Chroming small parts - 03/16/12 05:49 PM

Quote:

Is there a DIY cadmium plating kit?

In the time it took to ask the question...

Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Chroming small parts - 03/17/12 01:24 AM

I wouldn't use Caswell...I bought their $300 system for chroming parts and it came out looking like spray paint on water...imagine that picture...Fill a bowl of water...then spray silver rattle can on the water and thats what my dash looked like.

Waste of money...Have a pro do it...you aren't going to make alot of parts.
Posted By: CharlieB

Re: Chroming small parts - 03/17/12 03:12 AM

Quote:

New England Chrome replated 2 fender mounted turn signals a few years ago to a tune of $80. They had no pits, nice and smooth, but the chrome was rubbed down to the copper in a few places. They did nice work and charged what they quoted me.

Is their shop in East Hartford, CT?
© 2024 Moparts Forums