Moparts

elect.cutouts

Posted By: bonefish

elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 03:34 PM

elect cut outs.anyone use them?if so what are your thoughts,experiance?
Posted By: DANA60

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 03:39 PM

The last two cars I built, I used them. Totaly cool and one of the best things I did. Well worth the few hundred bucks (In this sport, isn't everything costly). I used QTP's.

Attached picture 7102749-IMG_3511.jpg

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 03:40 PM

This is the B body

Attached picture 7102753-IMG_3396_1_1.JPG

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 03:43 PM

This is the Dart. I did this 2 1/2 years ago. The motor on these are slower then the newer ones on the RR, which move about twice as fast (3 sec as opposed to 5-6 sec). Maybe just new design.

Attached picture 7102759-IMG_2819_1_1.JPG
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 03:57 PM

Do they leak? I've heard nothing but trouble from electric cut-outs, leaking, etc.

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 04:04 PM

Quote:

Do they leak? I've heard nothing but trouble from electric cut-outs, leaking, etc.

that was going to be my next ? my car gets driven alot and raced.somtimes we have to leave the track in a timly fashion and really dont have time to recork the headers.

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 04:13 PM

The Flow Master's on the Dart are a little loud to begin with so I can't say much there, but the RR is quieter and there has been no poblems with the thousand miles or so I put on it in the last year. I'm sure that if they are used alot, they'll need a cleaning now and again. I've put 3000 mileds on the Dart and all is still working. I do make use of them.

Attached picture 7102816-IMG_3511.jpg

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 04:18 PM

that was going to be my next ? my car gets driven alot and raced.somtimes we have to leave the track in a timly fashion and really dont have time to recork the headers.

Keep in mind that the "gate" is only 2.5 inch, even though the pipe is three. That will create a little back preasure.

Attached picture 7102825-IMG_2819_1_1.JPG
Posted By: 74-440Charger

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 04:24 PM

Have you tested them open/closed at the track? Curious to see what the difference is.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 04:40 PM

I have the 2.5" QTP with the controller but I haven't found the time to get down to the exhaust shop and have them installed. Definitely going to rattle some windows and wake the dead.

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 04:41 PM

I'll get into racing the RR this year. It has to be better then muffled. On the street it comes in real handy when cruising around. I took both cars in different years to the Nats and you just leave them open out on the strip, then close them when leaving. Big bonus at car shows as well.
Posted By: lawnman77

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 04:43 PM

The sound from a 440, post cruise-in, opened upon exit is worth every penny... No leaks here.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 04:44 PM

Check out the electric cutouts from Doug's..
Unlike the QTPs they use a sliding gate & gear reduction motor that doesn't leak..
They cost more but are much more ruggedly built..

Just my $0.02...

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 04:44 PM

In the end, it is all about "hey look at me"! isn't it?
Posted By: jbc426

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 05:52 PM

I thought they were juvenile until I drove a buddies car that had them into a show/gathering. The crowds love them, and now I love them. Once you try them, you will miss not having them.

He has QTP's and never had any issues. No leaks ever.

I'm using the Race Ready brand. The company has a lifetime warranty on normal malfunctions. They recently changed hands and the new owner honored the warranty and replaced an electric motor on one of mine no charge and free return shipping. I recommend them, no leaks when closed.

Stay away from the Pypes brand. They have known sealing issues that cause them to drift open. That per the company spokesmen.

Also, if you add a short flare to the outlet side of the cutout, it really enhances the sound much like the flare on a horned instrument.

It truely releases some kind of joy in a crowd. I think there's something pent up in a generation of people, after so many years of hearing four-banger, tomatoe-can-ricer-exhaust bogging around town.

The smiles you see on people's faces when they hear the sound of a 500 cubic inch big block Mopar with nearly 13 to 1 compression loping along at idle is music to so many folks ears....Then there's the sense of awe that occurs when the thing roars at high rpm with the cutouts open....why deprive them of the sound of American muscle car history. Besides, there's a lot of generations that have never heard the sound of an untamed V8 roar.

Attached picture 7103007-IMG_0971(Large).jpg

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 08:10 PM

Quote:

not at all,i just want these to function in a race situation and be able to close them with out the time consuming bolt on type.

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 08:13 PM

Quote:

there,s nothin wrong with havin a little fun with your ride,if your not why bother.
Posted By: 68X426

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 08:48 PM

Quote:

Check out the electric cutouts from Doug's..
Unlike the QTPs they use a sliding gate & gear reduction motor that doesn't leak..
They cost more but are much more ruggedly built..

Just my $0.02...

I have Doug's. Bombproof for going on four years.
Best money I ever spent. Completely indulgent but great bang for the buck.
Posted By: 68X426

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 08:50 PM

Quote:

Duh.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 09:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Duh.

That's BS....its about ME!
Posted By: dobie

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 09:31 PM

I have a cheap set of non-electric cut outs somewhere in my garage. Is it worth upgrading to the electric ones, or are the regular ones good enough? I really dont know how much I'd use them, so that's why I bought the cheap ones. I'd imagine tho that it would be a pain everytime to crawl underneath and remove/install the plates.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/04/12 11:54 PM

I had a cast iron manual release on my slant 6. It was a cast iron Y-flapper with a 90º L on it...I hooked up a hood cable on the L part and would push it in and out for decibels....by far cheesy and it rattled and leaked but when you are 18...you don't care.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/05/12 01:52 AM

I've had electric cut-outs on my last 3 cars. I love them, they are a ton of fun. And, for the doubters, they are worth a full .2 and 2mph at the track. Slightly more than the Shaker is worth in hot weather.

I had the QTPs and had leaks. I prefer the Dougs, that's what I have on the Cuda, now. But, the Dougs are much larger and more expensive.

I have said this here before; I will not own another Muscle car without electric cut-outs. I don't know who enjoys them more, me or the spectators.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed!
Posted By: 63stabamatic

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/05/12 01:44 PM

I've been running the QTP's for a couple years, no leaks. They're the coolest things ever. Just idling through at cruise nights is very popular, I never make a fool of myself. Also terrorize ferds and chebbies at stop lights, usually just opening them at idle is enough to have them holding on to their windows! Really a lot of fun!
Posted By: MadMez

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/07/12 07:38 PM

As my budget allows I am getting electric cutouts as well. For all the reasons stated above and one more. I live near Milwaukee, there are hundreds of open pipe Harleys around here. I am looking forward to opening the cutouts at stop lights, on the highway, really anywhere I encounter an open piped bike. I think my big block will be louder.
Posted By: GTXKen

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/08/12 04:30 AM

Quote:

As my budget allows I am getting electric cutouts as well. For all the reasons stated above and one more. I live near Milwaukee, there are hundreds of open pipe Harleys around here. I am looking forward to opening the cutouts at stop lights, on the highway, really anywhere I encounter an open piped bike. I think my big block will be louder.

One big block Mopar = eight harleys
Posted By: stwheels

Re: elect.cutouts - 03/08/12 06:50 AM

I've had DMH cut outs on my 67 Coronet for 6 years now and they are awesome.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
web site: www.stwheelz.com

Attached picture 7108786-1530782568_f7efe722f0.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums