Moparts

69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes?

Posted By: Q5_Ed

69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/04/12 03:21 AM

Looking for a Nostalgia look, need pictures of tub work and tire sizes by moving springs in 3-inches and splitting inner tub to widen. Anyone have good pictures or experience? I want to run DOT M/T or Quicktime Pro on wheels...

Thanks,

Ed

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/05/12 02:18 AM

Nobody?
Posted By: macmic87

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/05/12 02:53 AM

here is a link to the road runner forum. you may not be able to view it unless you sign up. some good pics of a member relocating the springs and a mini tub.

http://69roadrunner.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3031&hilit=mini+tubs
Posted By: gtsuperbee

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/05/12 03:52 AM

I'm so proud of you for going against the grain. By the way, cragar has a 61015-spec. It's a special order backspace 10" S/S wheel. No need to cut the axle that way. Check it out on summit's website.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/06/12 12:59 AM

There's a few guys on here that have mini tubbed B-bodies just give them time to see the thread.
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/06/12 02:26 AM

Ed, the best article I've ever seen on factory wheel tub widening was in Mopar Action? when they did the Project Six Pack A12 Road Runner in the late '90's? Stock wheel tubs were widened 3", good explanations and photos along the way. Maybe someone can dig up the issue and post it.

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/06/12 04:29 AM

Thanks for any info and encouragement!
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/07/12 12:30 AM

well its not a 69 but it is a b-body and they are all about the same. here is my 67 Coronet, it is very basic, you cut away the sheetmetal from between the factory tub and the frame rail then you cut a longitudinal line in the squarest part of the tub. weld it to the frame rail and then use a filler strip in the gap, remember it will affect your back seat, unless you do it to a C-Body

Attached picture 7106504-233.jpg

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/07/12 12:31 AM

front side

Attached picture 7106508-236.jpg

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/07/12 02:51 AM

Thanks, so did you go tight to the side of the rail and trim off the flange on the top of the rail? Any bottom shots?

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/07/12 04:18 AM

actually I left a small 3/16" of the framerail flange where it turns horizontal. I used it as a great place to weld the trimmed wheel tub since it is .080 thick and easy to run a bead on, it helps that the stock wheel tub metal is a good gauge thickness as well, the aftermarket wheeltub material are like 24 or 26 guage.

no underneath shots sorry
Posted By: G_T

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/07/12 04:33 AM

Quote:

Thanks, so did you go tight to the side of the rail and trim off the flange on the top of the rail? Any bottom shots?

That is what I did, but I also boxed the inside of the frame rails. I have 335's on the back and there is a good 2" of additional space for going wider. Look at mnitubs link on my web site v10mopar.com
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/07/12 02:23 PM

Leave as much of stock inner wheelhouse (about 3-4 inches),remove the rest and weld in brand new AMD wheelhouse.That way it's way less work and the job is much cleaner with new tubs
Posted By: B_Body_Bob

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/07/12 03:04 PM

Quote:

Leave as much of stock inner wheelhouse (about 3-4 inches),remove the rest and weld in brand new AMD wheelhouse.That way it's way less work and the job is much cleaner with new tubs

Good idea there.

Ed, you've seen photos of mine already. You have to modify the trunk hinge bracket and the sheet metal in front of v-bracing to fit the new inner tub shape.
Posted By: MRBELV2

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/07/12 04:31 PM

I did the 3" spring relocation kit and mini-tub on my 66 belvedere. I had to modify the rear seat frame, but the front of the seat is unchanged. I cut to the framerail, so the tub is against the frame-no flange left. Really not that hard to do. Go for it. It will look awesome!

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/09/12 04:12 AM

Thanks All, I like the idea of splicing in the new inner instead of the strip. But my fab guy has been doing this for years so he may say don't bother? Like to look at ALL possible methods........

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/13/12 02:25 AM

Anyone else?
Posted By: bobbyb

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/13/12 12:59 PM

I'm in the middle of mini-tubbing my '69 Roadrunner. I've never done one before so its a learn as I go process. It looks and sounds like a simple job, but you do have to use your brain a little and that hurts. I have pics of my car in the Projects section, but I haven't posted any of the mini-tubs yet. I will post them when after I finish the tubs. Also I did use my original inner fenders, but if I had thought of buying new ones I would have looked into possibly going that route. Oh well. Anyway my tubs are installed, I just need to finish welding and blending in the extra strip of sheetmetal so it won't look to obvious.

Attached picture 7116240-nowheelwell.jpg
Posted By: 5126brl No more

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/13/12 01:21 PM

Quote:

Looking for a Nostalgia look, need pictures of tub work and tire sizes by moving springs in 3-inches and splitting inner tub to widen. Anyone have good pictures or experience? I want to run DOT M/T or Quicktime Pro on wheels...

Thanks,

Ed

Since you want what I have and I want stock lets trade!!!
Running 29.5x15.5 M/T Sportsman pro's.
Tubbed all the way to rail. Factory A-12

Attached picture 7116259-a12.JPG

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/15/12 03:18 AM

It's not quite that simple.... just want to put my own spin on it.........Thanks for the offer though, my buddy is doing a clone of an original Y2 car.

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/17/12 06:22 PM

Quote:

It's not quite that simple.... just want to put my own spin on it.........Thanks for the offer though, my buddy is doing a clone of an original Y2 car.

Is he building it to run in FAST class?

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/19/12 02:26 AM

Not sure, he is doing a 69 Dart to race, but the road runner is mostly for street. He bought a rebuilt 440 from me which could go in fast, but not against the guys in the low 11's........maybe high 11's lower 12's?

Is that what you want to do with your racer?

Re: 69 B-body stretching tubs and tire sizes? - 03/19/12 07:50 PM

No, I just take it up the pike and track rentals at the valley.
© 2024 Moparts Forums