Moparts

neon motor ,best way to remove it?

Posted By: dirt

neon motor ,best way to remove it? - 03/01/12 01:56 AM

I need to replace my 05, neon motor. i have another one ready to go in. the chilton says take it out the bottom along with the transaxle. is that the best way?
I am not replacing the transaxle so i dont want o remove it if its not nessary.
Posted By: 72demon416

Re: neon motor ,best way to remove it? - 03/01/12 02:10 AM

That's the way I have done it in the past. I think it was a Mopar Action article that prompted me to do it this way but it was quite easy actually.
Posted By: wicked

Re: neon motor ,best way to remove it? - 03/02/12 01:09 AM

Quote:

That's the way I have done it in the past. I think it was a Mopar Action article that prompted me to do it this way but it was quite easy actually.

I have done one out the bottom, much easier to separate and realign that way when you can get to everything.
Posted By: Darter6

Re: neon motor ,best way to remove it? - 03/02/12 01:42 AM

Yep,Pull bolts from lower ball joints. Drop the axles from the hubs. unbolt the k frame and drop it down. Very easy,, trans axle can stay in the k frame. Did one last summer on a 05. You will need to unbolt the steering shaft under the dash and it will go through the fire wall with the k frame.Normal hoses will need to be removed along with A/C hoses to pump.Radiator/fans can stay in the car.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: neon motor ,best way to remove it? - 03/02/12 03:58 AM

I just got finished dropping one in from the top.

I supported the transaxle on a jack.
I pulled the Driver's side tire off and removed the transaxle mount completely. This gave me enough room to push the transaxle to the side.

Dropped the engine in without the intake but with the exhaust, belts & accessories.

It is easier if you have a jack that will keep the transaxle from rolling forward or backward.

Never tried it from the bottom.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: neon motor ,best way to remove it? - 03/02/12 04:56 AM

I have always swapped them from the top. Take the tranny mounts lose so it can move to the driver's side more and tip the engine up at a sharp angle. The engine just needs enough room to get the tone ring out of the tranny.
Posted By: 6PacCuda

Re: neon motor ,best way to remove it? - 03/02/12 05:06 AM

Done several out the top. I always remove the crank pulley when taking them out the top. It stays on when you drop it out the bottom.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: neon motor ,best way to remove it? - 03/02/12 09:40 PM

Quote:

Done several out the top. I always remove the crank pulley when taking them out the top. It stays on when you drop it out the bottom.

done several of both the sohc and the dohc ,,all from the top
© 2024 Moparts Forums