Moparts

Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan

Posted By: Dukes69

Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 02/29/12 06:53 PM

I was curious if anyone has used the Jegs windage tray/gasket with a stock oil pan? I called and asked, of course they said it does, but I was hoping for some real world experience. It's going on a 70 hemi with a stock pan.

Thanks
-Chris
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 02/29/12 07:28 PM

do you have a part# i didnt know jegs had there own tray? milodon-moroso??
Posted By: CR8CRSHR

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 02/29/12 08:58 PM

Just bought one yesterday and awaiting arrival. Here is the part # in Jeg's catalog. By the way...Jeg's is the only place you can get this item. No place else....

555-502000 WIND TRAY 3.75 B/RB/HEMI 69.99

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/01/12 08:34 PM

Thats the one. I have it here already, I'm just not too pleased with the way the gasket ribs line up with the pan rail. I was hoping someone has one on a running engine for feedback.

Thanks
-Chris
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/01/12 08:49 PM

Quote:

I was curious if anyone has used the Jegs windage tray/gasket with a stock oil pan? I called and asked, of course they said it does, but I was hoping for some real world experience. It's going on a 70 hemi with a stock pan.

Thanks
-Chris

Posted By: 383man

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/01/12 09:08 PM

Is that the one that is the windage tray with the gaskets made on both sides of it ? If it is I have that here as my buddy dropped it off for me to use on his eng when I replace the rear main seal. Ron

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/01/12 11:28 PM

Quote:

Is that the one that is the windage tray with the gaskets made on both sides of it ? If it is I have that here as my buddy dropped it off for me to use on his eng when I replace the rear main seal. Ron

Yes that's the one. I can see that it would work great if you had a flat pan rail like on an aluminum pan, not so sure about the stocker.

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/02/12 12:34 AM

Nevermind, I answered my own question. Put grease on the oil pan and installed it to see where it left marks. Practically the whole side of the oil pan is missed by the gasket, except around the bolt holes. I'll post pics to show what I'm talking about.

Great idea, garbage execution. 0 for 2, junk mancini rear main seal and junk jeg's oil pan gasket.

One day maybe some one will start making stuff that actually works.
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/02/12 01:49 AM

Pix attached....I mocked one up and it looked awesome - double-lip silicone seals, torque-limiting grommets. Hard to see how this can fail to seal....?

Rick
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/02/12 01:59 AM

I could see how those raised beads will miss the dimpled area of the pan rail

Don't know if you have a stock steel pan or an aftermarket repop or performance but i've experienced issues with a repop "402" that wasn't straight

I offer a nice pan gasket and a premium rear seal if you have a need
Posted By: 82ramIndy493

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/02/12 02:08 AM

Quote:

Nevermind, I answered my own question. Put grease on the oil pan and installed it to see where it left marks. Practically the whole side of the oil pan is missed by the gasket, except around the bolt holes. I'll post pics to show what I'm talking about.

Great idea, garbage execution. 0 for 2, junk mancini rear main seal and junk jeg's oil pan gasket.

One day maybe some one will start making stuff that actually works.

Thats because its a Mopar part. If it was a Chevy or Ford part it would have been made to perfection.
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/02/12 12:22 PM

Hi,

Here's another thread about this windage tray.

Jegs Windage Tray

I just finished putting one on my 400 with a factory 402 pan. The pan rail was pretty straight but with the thickness of this composite tray, I'm sure some minor dimpling would still be resolved.

I have about an hour's worth of run time with the car on jack stands and probably another hour this weekend while I finish some other work. So far, no leaks and I've checked the pan rail area pretty closely. I'm very satisfied with this, especially considering the price.

If someone wants, I can post a picture of the pan rail area to show the thickness of this part once it's installed.

Mike.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/02/12 05:08 PM

Thank you for the feedback, pics would be great.

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/02/12 07:53 PM

Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about. I just can't see how this is going to seal and this car CAN'T leak! I don't have the luxury of being a guinea pig.

You can see there are a couple areas where the gasket actually misses the pan completely. It would seal around the bolts pretty good. If they just made it fit a stock pan then it would probably fit pretty much anything.

And just for good measure here is the wiz bang Mancini rear main that doesn't work either. Side seals don't seal, retainer runs into the main cap AND the crank. It actually ground a bunch of aluminum off and packed it in the seal.

Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/02/12 10:30 PM

Dukes69 that's exactly what I was refering to in the beads not sealing the pan in your first pic.

I assume the Mancini seal retainer also uses the o-ring cord for the side seals, very problematic IMHO.

Please click the link for some rear main seal help. The stock retainers are actually not that bad to work with if they are not beat up too bad.
Stud clearacne is an issue and should always be checked.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...t=1#Post5800228

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/03/12 12:14 AM

Quote:

Dukes69 that's exactly what I was refering to in the beads not sealing the pan in your first pic.

I assume the Mancini seal retainer also uses the o-ring cord for the side seals, very problematic IMHO.

Please click the link for some rear main seal help. The stock retainers are actually not that bad to work with if they are not beat up too bad.
Stud clearacne is an issue and should always be checked.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...t=1#Post5800228

Thanks for the link. The Mancini retainer was actually hitting the main cap itself, not the bolts (stock main bolts).

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/05/12 12:30 AM

Hi,

Here are a few pictures to show the gasket with my oil pan.

Chris, I'm not sure what pan you have but you can see the gasket matches the rail on mine really well and it's like this all the way around. When you compare how close my pan is to the back of the block and then look at yours, it's definitely shaped different.

So far, no leaks. I would recommend the gasket.

I'll post a few more pictures.

Mike.

Attached picture 7103605-IMG_9769.JPG

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/05/12 12:31 AM

Another picture.

Attached picture 7103606-IMG_9770.JPG

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/05/12 12:33 AM

Picture #3.

Attached picture 7103610-IMG_9773.JPG

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/05/12 12:34 AM

Last one.

Attached picture 7103613-IMG_9768.JPG

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/05/12 04:16 AM

After looking at the one my buddy got it looks to me like it would work great if you have an aluminum oil pan with a nice flat surface such as the block is. I do agree it looks like it wont seal to good to a normal stock type pan. The stock pan needs a gasket that compresses a tad to fill in the pan rail. The problem with this is its hard plastic with the rubber seal made in it but that seal will not hit all the pan rail enough to me and will leak. If I had to use it I would put a small bead of the gray Mopar rtv sealer on both sides and hope it seals. Ron

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/14/12 12:22 AM

Well to cap it off, not only does it not fit for squat, the rods on a stock stroke crank hit the windage tray.

I'm done with it. Great idea, HORRIBLE execution. At least I'll get most of my money back when I ship it back.

Mancini is tomorrow. I hope they care a little more than Jegs.

-Chris
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/14/12 12:44 AM

Quote:

Well to cap it off, not only does it not fit for squat, the rods on a stock stroke crank hit the windage tray.

I'm done with it. Great idea, HORRIBLE execution. At least I'll get most of my money back when I ship it back.

Mancini is tomorrow. I hope they care a little more than Jegs.

-Chris

You guys have all talked me out of EVEN trying this thing. I'm going to stick with the metal tray & 2-gaskets!

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/14/12 12:51 AM

That's what we did. All the fancy junk got replaced with stock stuff and no leaks.
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/14/12 01:12 AM

I got mine from Summit. part number is P4120998 it's a Mopar performence peice. Fit my stock pan perfect. Doesn't leak. Good old fashion gaskets.

Re: Jegs windage tray/gasket with stock oil pan - 03/14/12 03:06 AM

I bought a billet rear main seal and retainer from Hughes Eng and it has worked flawless. No leaks at all. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums