Moparts

TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT???

Posted By: Labratt

TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/23/12 05:49 AM

What paint have you guys had the BEST results with...for painting an engine block? I want to use the MOST DURABLE..LONGEST LASTING paint I can find! Oh....also has to be Chrysler Orange..for my 440! Thanks in advance for your opinions! Randy B.

Attached picture 7085933-CRANKREMOVAL...440028.jpg
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/23/12 05:52 AM

I use the Engine enamel 1000+ degree stuff from o`reillys..........didn`t even re-paint my engine after the freshen.

Re: TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/23/12 06:34 AM

THANKS,Dom! Does it come in Chrysler Orange?...is it a spray can...or can you brush it on?
Posted By: dartman366

Re: TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/23/12 06:57 AM

clean it well and spray it with epoxy primer and then spray it with acrylic enamel and yes they can mix the right color,,you won't be sorry.
Posted By: dvw

Re: TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/23/12 11:39 AM

Don't clean the bare metal with Lacquer thinner. Use something like PPG DX 440. I also have had better luck with etch primer than epoxy on bare cast iron. Aluminum can use either. I use regular single stage urethane. The chrsler spray isn't bad but its not as good against fuel,brake clean,etc. The urethane isn't fazed by either. This is a 5 year old job we did.
Doug

Attached picture 7086070-engine001.jpg
Posted By: BIGSTROKER

Re: TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/23/12 01:09 PM

POR 15 ENGINE ENGINE ENAMEL IS INDUSTRUCTABLE
CLEAN THE BLOCK WITH GREASE AND WAX REMOVER AND PAINT AWAY WITH A BRUSH COMES IN ALL CHRYSLER COLORS WONT EVEN COME OFF IN THE HOT TANK
Posted By: megajoltman

Re: TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/23/12 04:08 PM

Endura EX-2C Topcoats or DuPont Imron polyurethane enamels. The machine shop even asked what the paint is on your block it sure doesn't want to come off. I had shot it with Endura and it came out like glass, nice and shiny.

Edit: oops no Chrysler Orange
Posted By: STLDuster

Re: TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/23/12 04:52 PM

Quote:

POR 15 ENGINE ENGINE ENAMEL IS INDUSTRUCTABLE
CLEAN THE BLOCK WITH GREASE AND WAX REMOVER AND PAINT AWAY WITH A BRUSH COMES IN ALL CHRYSLER COLORS WONT EVEN COME OFF IN THE HOT TANK

I agree! I used that on mine and have had good luck with it. I did mine in blue but, my next one will be orange.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/23/12 05:16 PM

Quote:

THANKS,Dom! Does it come in Chrysler Orange?...is it a spray can...or can you brush it on?

It comes in an orange but not sure if it`s Chrysler or not.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/23/12 06:09 PM

Couple of things....

Spray bombs, while easiest to use, are NOT going to be that durable. Hot fuel, brakeclean, or just about any solvent will lift the paint.

As someone earlier posted. Best to spray some Acrylic enamel out of a gun. The important thing I found is that with engines, you need to use a gloss hardener. This will make the paint just about bulletproof. It will be shinier than most, but also much easier to clean. Nice thing about acrylic enamel is if you chip it or have to partialy tear the motor down you can touch it up with a brush with good results.

Oh, and one more thing... If you dont have or dont want to bother with the pro spray gun and paraphernalia, you can use a PreVal sprayer, available at Napa for 5 bucks. Its a sprayer that is self contained and you just fill the jar with paint/thinner/hardener and spray away. Throw it all out when done. I wouldnt paint a car with it, but you can get good results spraying and engine with it.

Good Luck.

MB

Attached picture 7086479-mwwedge.jpg

Re: TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/24/12 05:54 AM

Thank you ALL for the suggestions! Sounds like more than one method will work well! BTW...LOVE the way that 426 Max Wedge looks!
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/24/12 01:02 PM

Quote:

What paint have you guys had the BEST results with...for painting an engine block? I want to use the MOST DURABLE..LONGEST LASTING paint I can find! Oh....also has to be Chrysler Orange..for my 440! Thanks in advance for your opinions! Randy B.

durable and long lasting? nothing from a spray can...

clean, clean, then clean it again ..

then spray on epoxy primer

then use a high solids urethane paint like utech 3.8...

here is the info from the can for a street hemi orange...

Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/24/12 01:45 PM

lots of good paints out there that you can use, but they do not come in a spray can!

I like the eastwoods ceremic paint with hardener. thin it down a little bit and about 1/3 of a quart is enough to do an entire engine.

the paint cures hard, is nice looking, and cleans well.

here's my engine:

and one I did for another guy:

They have all the chrysler colors too. orange, blue, red...
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/24/12 03:46 PM

Quote:

Couple of things....

Spray bombs, while easiest to use, are NOT going to be that durable. Hot fuel, brakeclean, or just about any solvent will lift the paint.

As someone earlier posted. Best to spray some Acrylic enamel out of a gun. The important thing I found is that with engines, you need to use a gloss hardener. This will make the paint just about bulletproof. It will be shinier than most, but also much easier to clean. Nice thing about acrylic enamel is if you chip it or have to partialy tear the motor down you can touch it up with a brush with good results.

Oh, and one more thing... If you dont have or dont want to bother with the pro spray gun and paraphernalia, you can use a PreVal sprayer, available at Napa for 5 bucks. Its a sprayer that is self contained and you just fill the jar with paint/thinner/hardener and spray away. Throw it all out when done. I wouldnt paint a car with it, but you can get good results spraying and engine with it.

Good Luck.

MB

I'd have to side with Mike B. on this, I too, like to use acrylic enamel with gloss hardner to paint engines, I usually prefer Dupont's Centari line of acrylic enamel,....any color you desire is available...I prefer a medium to heavy wet coat of paint on the engine, I've never had any issues with burn off, or peeling, but a clean surface is a must, i do apply an acid etchant primer base before painting to get some"bite" on the surface though

Mike

Re: TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/24/12 05:32 PM

Thanks Joe,Tom!...your motors look TOO NICE to hide in a car! Mike,I'll keep in mind about using the acid-etchant for "bite" before applying the primer! Thanks guys! BTW..this is the old car it's going back into! Randy B.

Attached picture 7087995-SECONDCLEARCOATAPPLICATION016.jpg
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/24/12 06:26 PM

Engine Paint thread from the Best of section

THis link is getting too old now to still have alot of pictures. but I painted my engine the way ABJ stated, and it still looks the same from 2004.

I've since shot about 5 other engines, and they all have the same results.

The etching primer was what I was going to use, but went with epoxy primer - 2 thin coats of that and you will never have a problem - thats the best stuff I have ever used on an engine as I had a fire, several changes and it all just wipes clean year after year with no hassle.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/24/12 08:33 PM

Quote:

Tom!...your motors look TOO NICE to hide in a car!

Good thing they went into trucks then!
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/25/12 01:10 AM

Toughest? Powder coat, hands down....

Attached picture 7088735-DSC00001.JPG
Posted By: gogo318

Re: TOUGHEST..LONGEST LASTING ENGINE PAINT??? - 02/29/12 08:11 AM

couldnt agree more........
© 2024 Moparts Forums