Moparts

Blue Smoke From Exhaust...

Posted By: Mapandjlp

Blue Smoke From Exhaust... - 02/23/12 04:05 AM

To avoid confusion, I've started my own thread on this topic.

Build is 360 + .030
KB107 pistons
340 rods
596 heads
Comp XE268
Performer Intake
Eddy AVS carb

I built the motor. Rings were properly sized and staggered.

The motor has at least 3k since the rebuild and runs super! After cruising awhile, it'll smoke heavily upon hard acceleration. Once it's "blown out", it won't smoke for a bit. Then after some more cruising, it'll smoke again on hard acceleration...etc, etc...

It also seems to use a quart of oil every few hundred miles or so and the oil seems to stay pretty dark, even after an oil change.

I've replaced the intake gasket once with no change.

I bought the heads "already done" and to be honest, never even looked at the valve seals.

Thoughts? Valve Seals? Rings not seated?
Posted By: Secret Chimp

Re: Blue Smoke From Exhaust... - 02/23/12 04:13 AM

Quote:

To avoid confusion, I've started my own thread on this topic.

Build is 360 + .030
KB107 pistons
340 rods
596 heads
Comp XE268
Performer Intake
Eddy AVS carb

I built the motor. Rings were properly sized and staggered.

The motor has at least 3k since the rebuild and runs super! After cruising awhile, it'll smoke heavily upon hard acceleration. Once it's "blown out", it won't smoke for a bit. Then after some more cruising, it'll smoke again on hard acceleration...etc, etc...

It also seems to use a quart of oil every few hundred miles or so and the oil seems to stay pretty dark, even after an oil change.

I've replaced the intake gasket once with no change.

I bought the heads "already done" and to be honest, never even looked at the valve seals.

Thoughts? Valve Seals? Rings not seated?

Valve seals. Cruising lets oil build up, hard acceleration sucks it past the bad seals enough to burn. They are super easy to change.
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: Blue Smoke From Exhaust... - 02/23/12 12:48 PM

What is your setup for a breather and PCV?
Posted By: Mapandjlp

Re: Blue Smoke From Exhaust... - 02/23/12 04:09 PM

Quote:

What is your setup for a breather and PCV?

Valve covers are baffled. PCV on one side feeding to the base of the carb. Breather on the other side. I've tried replacing the PCV with a breather (effectively eliminating the possibility of oil being sucked into the base of the carb) with no change.
© 2024 Moparts Forums