Moparts

Minimum tire to quarter panel clearance?

Posted By: Belvedere1

Minimum tire to quarter panel clearance? - 10/20/08 01:21 AM

For a street car, just need to know the safest minimum clearance between the "lip" and in the outer wheel house area on a 67 Plymouth.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Minimum tire to quarter panel clearance? - 10/20/08 04:13 AM

I would not run any closer than 1/2"

Re: Minimum tire to quarter panel clearance? - 10/20/08 08:10 PM

thanks Lefty,

Do recall the section width on the tires you are running?
Posted By: dvw

Re: Minimum tire to quarter panel clearance? - 10/20/08 08:10 PM

I've run as close as 1/4" for years with no ill effects. Actually the inner side of the quarter panel is almost always closer than the lip.
Doug

Re: Minimum tire to quarter panel clearance? - 10/20/08 10:07 PM

are you refering to a 66-67 B body?
Posted By: dvw

Re: Minimum tire to quarter panel clearance? - 10/20/08 10:35 PM

Check it with a straight edge. You will find most wheel wells like that. My 64 Belvedere is that way
I haven't had a 66 or 67 Plymouth since 72. It did have americans on it and the tire was close to the lip. What you may have to watch for is like my Challenger. The lip is the closest spot. But only the very rear of the lip where it turns down towards the bottom of the quarter panel. The rest isn't a factor. You are blessed with the smallest rear wheel weels of any B-Body. Good luck.
Doug

Re: Minimum tire to quarter panel clearance? - 10/20/08 10:43 PM

More like cursed!

The quarters were replaced at one time and I had to trim the lip down to roughly 3/8" to get the clearance that I have now which is very little at a 1/4" on the left side. The right side quarter has enough clearance for me to consider it safe but the right side is the problem at this point. Even up in the wheel house there is still only about a 1/4" clearance to the sidewall. Of course I am trying to squeeze an 8" wheel with a 265/60 McCreary DOT in there, thus my problem.
Posted By: minivan

Re: Minimum tire to quarter panel clearance? - 10/20/08 10:54 PM

265 will be very snug and if it works you will need a 5 1/2" backspace on that 8" wheel.. Lefty sent me some pics showing that the outside fender well curves in as it goes up creating the tightest area in the fender well..

On my 67 coronet I am going to use 245-60-15 on 8" wheels with a 5 1/4 backspace on the back.

Re: Minimum tire to quarter panel clearance? - 10/20/08 11:01 PM

That much backspace would put this tire/wheel combo into the leaf spring. As it is now I have 3/4-7/8" clearance from the sidewall to the spring. I think the Dodges are contoured a little different than the Plymouth with the Plymouths having a tad more room. The section width of this tire shows 10.6" with an 8" wheel.
Posted By: Fastback67

Re: Minimum tire to quarter panel clearance? - 10/21/08 12:03 AM

My 67 Charger is wearing BFG 295/50/15's in the rear mounted on 10" rims with a 5" backspace. The tire is 13" wide and 27" tall. The wheel well is 14" deep. No problems ever...

Re: Minimum tire to quarter panel clearance? - 10/21/08 03:16 AM

After some further measurement I have 9/32" clearance from the lip to the sidewall. The section width of the tire measures 11 1/2". I still cant understand how there is that much variation from one side to the other. I looked at loosening the U-bolts to try and center the rearend housing better, but there is no room for movement where the guide pin on the spring pack goes into the mount.

Fastback,

Are your springs and wheel tubs stock?
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Minimum tire to quarter panel clearance? - 10/21/08 04:13 PM

Quote:

Do recall the section width on the tires you are running?

Nitto 555 255/45/18" - 10.16"

http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Etire%2Ent555%2Esizes
Posted By: 1OFNONE

Re: Minimum tire to quarter panel clearance? - 10/21/08 09:49 PM

I had the same issue with my Coronet. I trimmed the outside lip a quarter inch. The drivers was closer than the passenger side till I put solid front bushings in the leafs. hen that squared it up. That was with a 29x9 M&H slick on a 15x8 Cragar with 4.25 back space.

[image][/image]

Re: Minimum tire to quarter panel clearance? - 10/22/08 01:43 AM

I guess I am not seeing how the solid bushings would change things in making the tire fit in there better, I could see controlling the body roll a little though.

What was the section width on those M & H's?
© 2024 Moparts Forums