Moparts

Mixing coolant-Dexcool and "Green Stuff"

Posted By: Publicbottle

Mixing coolant-Dexcool and "Green Stuff" - 02/16/12 03:25 AM

Workin on a friends 98 blazer, need to change the rad due to a leak. I noticed that there is green coolant instead of the reccommended GM dexcool fluid.

I would rather not flush the whole system during the rad swap, so should i continue using green stuff or just mix in some Dexcool?

Thanks for your input!!

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Mixing coolant-Dexcool and "Green Stuff" - 02/16/12 03:42 AM

Quote:

Workin on a friends 98 blazer, need to change the rad due to a leak. I noticed that there is green coolant instead of the reccommended GM dexcool fluid.

I would rather not flush the whole system during the rad swap, so should i continue using green stuff or just mix in some Dexcool?

Thanks for your input!!

Do not ever mix the red and green antifreezes together in the same system is what I have been told Those that have mixed them had to drain, flush and replace the mix with red stuff only or maybe green stuff only do to overheating issues with the mix
Posted By: deansrr

Re: Mixing coolant-Dexcool and "Green Stuff" - 02/16/12 03:58 AM

with all the Dexcool problems, we never put it back in!!
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Mixing coolant-Dexcool and "Green Stuff" - 02/16/12 04:04 AM

Stay with the green stuff!!
Posted By: phantomx

Re: Mixing coolant-Dexcool and "Green Stuff" - 02/16/12 10:06 AM

We mixed a cup of green with a cup of dex at work years ago when the dex was just coming out. The dex clumped up into funky coagulated fluffy crap that floated around. It looked like it would plug up a radiator in a hurry. I would just flush it and drain the block and use one or the other.
Travis..
Posted By: therocks

Re: Mixing coolant-Dexcool and "Green Stuff" - 02/16/12 11:24 AM

Dex is the worst crap ever made.Leave the green in.We used pretty much nothing but the new Universal stuff at work.Probally did a few thousand with no problems.We only put Dex back in if the customer insisted we did.Rocky
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Mixing coolant-Dexcool and "Green Stuff" - 02/16/12 01:49 PM

you could try some of the newer yellow universal antifreeze. it says on the label it will mix with all coolants.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Mixing coolant-Dexcool and "Green Stuff" - 02/16/12 01:56 PM

Quote:

you could try some of the newer yellow universal antifreeze. it says on the label it will mix with all coolants.

Why would he do that? There's green in there now.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Mixing coolant-Dexcool and "Green Stuff" - 02/16/12 02:22 PM

DON'T MIX> unless your are using a universal anti freeze that mixes with either. It works well with not problems.
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Mixing coolant-Dexcool and "Green Stuff" - 02/16/12 02:42 PM

as mentioned dont mix the different products.

I lost a supercharged Pontiac 3.8 in my wifes 99 Grand Prix when my brother in law was helping us out and topped her coolant off when he was changing her oil.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Mixing coolant-Dexcool and "Green Stuff" - 02/16/12 03:03 PM

Somebody was already proactive & switched from dexcool to regular green. As said top it off w green & you're good
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Mixing coolant-Dexcool and "Green Stuff" - 02/16/12 03:25 PM

Add me to the get that dexcool garbage out of there .
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Mixing coolant-Dexcool and "Green Stuff" - 02/16/12 06:20 PM

What do you guys this of the DEX-COOL approved Prestone stuff? Thats what I've used in my Lumina. Its pink like the DEX-COOL.
Posted By: 73rrak

Re: Mixing coolant-Dexcool and "Green Stuff" - 02/16/12 07:16 PM

Wally world ( Walmart ) screwed up my wife's van a few years ago by putting green anti freeze in a dex cool system. They topped it off after an oil change. The over flow tank looked like it was full of mud. She had to have the cooling system flushed and it had the rear heater system so it cost around $400. Of course she lost her receipt from Wally World so we got stuck paying for it because wally world wouldn't step up to the plate and take responsibility for it without a receipt.
Posted By: MY340

Re: Mixing coolant-Dexcool and "Green Stuff" - 02/16/12 09:56 PM

We own three GM vehicles which use Dex-Cool coolant and have never had any cooling problem issues.

Don't mix of course like everyone states.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Mixing coolant-Dexcool and "Green Stuff" - 02/16/12 10:22 PM

Quote:

Wally world ( Walmart ) screwed up my wife's van a few years ago by putting green anti freeze in a dex cool system. They topped it off after an oil change. The over flow tank looked like it was full of mud. She had to have the cooling system flushed and it had the rear heater system so it cost around $400. Of course she lost her receipt from Wally World so we got stuck paying for it because wally world wouldn't step up to the plate and take responsibility for it without a receipt.

If you mix them, this "mud" type substance WILL be the result. If you already have the dexcool, take the jug out in the woods and shoot it (or take it back for a refund).
Posted By: Publicbottle

Re: Mixing coolant-Dexcool and "Green Stuff" - 02/17/12 03:23 AM

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

Will stick with the green stuff!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums