Moparts

440 Source Rear Main Seal Retainer Question

Posted By: bobs66440

440 Source Rear Main Seal Retainer Question - 02/15/12 07:23 PM

While installing the rear main in my 440 yesterday I noticed that the cut out for the curved seal was offset to one side about .070". Then I measured the crank position and it was off center the same way by the same amount. The block is a'77. The retainer fits perfectly and the bolts thread in good.

I read somewhere that this was an issue along the way. Is this common?

EDIT: I looked at some photos online of the rear main area and it seems that many are like this. There is a noticeable difference from side to side.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: 440 Source Rear Main Seal Retainer Question - 02/15/12 08:55 PM

The offset ensures no idiot will install either the caps or the retainer the wrong way.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 440 Source Rear Main Seal Retainer Question - 02/15/12 09:01 PM

Quote:

I read somewhere that this was an issue along the way.

I remember seeing something about an issue that appears to have been taken care of.

Re: 440 Source Rear Main Seal Retainer Question - 02/15/12 09:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I read somewhere that this was an issue along the way.

I remember seeing something about an issue that appears to have been taken care of.

Do you recall what the problem was? This retainer is about 3 years old (never used) so if there was an issue and was fixed since then, this one may have a problem??
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 440 Source Rear Main Seal Retainer Question - 02/15/12 09:30 PM

Something about the offset , but if you measured and things line up there is no problem.

Re: 440 Source Rear Main Seal Retainer Question - 02/15/12 09:52 PM

Ok, thanks
Posted By: MLR426

Re: 440 Source Rear Main Seal Retainer Question - 02/15/12 11:23 PM

only issue I had with one was no threaded holes, chinese inspector forgot to put his magoo glasses on before checking out the part or did he look

logan426

Re: 440 Source Rear Main Seal Retainer Question - 02/16/12 03:28 AM

Ahh, I get it now. I was worried because of a post I read from last year where a guy was comparing an aftermarket billet cap (I think it was 440 Source) to a factory cap. He was comparing them in a photo. One was upside down, one was right side up. The way it was shown, it appeared that the cut out and mounting holes in the billet cap were off by a mile, which it makes sense only if the crank is centered in the notch where the cap goes. But since I just realized that it's offset, being compared like that, it would naturally look wrong. If the caps were compared both right side up, they would match up.
It's all good now. Thanks.
© 2024 Moparts Forums