Moparts

Fuel Lines - measured by ID or OD?

Posted By: WyleECoyote

Fuel Lines - measured by ID or OD? - 02/14/12 08:03 PM

I need to order a replacement fuel line for my 72 Imperial. Are fuel lines measured by their Inside Diameter or their Outside Diameter?

Thanks,
Ron
Posted By: tex013

Re: Fuel Lines - measured by ID or OD? - 02/14/12 09:58 PM

pipe is outside - hose is inside

Tex
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Fuel Lines - measured by ID or OD? - 02/14/12 11:11 PM

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Fuel Lines - measured by ID or OD? - 02/15/12 03:16 AM

a piece of hard line shoved into a length of neoprene fuel line. Easy way to remem is the part that touches the other piece is where it gets measured. The "OD" of the hard fuel line touches the "ID" of the neoprene line
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Fuel Lines - measured by ID or OD? - 02/15/12 12:40 PM

Tubing is OD X wall thickness
Pipe is ID X schedule
Hose is ID
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Fuel Lines - measured by ID or OD? - 02/15/12 03:00 PM

Quote:

Pipe is ID X schedule

Would "schedule" be ie "NPT"
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Fuel Lines - measured by ID or OD? - 02/15/12 04:27 PM

NPT is talking about the threads, National Pipe Tapered is how I remember it.
Pipe is described by a nominal size and schedule. The wall thickness is the "schedule" and probably has to do with a pressure rating because it increases as pipe diameter increases.
For example, 1" pipe is 1.315" OD. Schedule 40 wall thickness is 0.133". Schedule 80 is 0.179".
4" pipe is 4.500" diameter. Schedule 40 wall thickness is 0.237" Schedule 80 is 0.337".

Over 12" diameter, pipe is OD x wall thickness.

Metallic tubing is OD x wall thickness.

It's handy to have a couple of books around when you're doing this stuff.
R.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Fuel Lines - measured by ID or OD? - 02/15/12 06:21 PM

There are a number of caveats with pipe sizing. In addition to the concept of schedule there is also a 'Standard' (STD) weight which for the most part is schedule 40 up to 12". Larger STD sizes have a constant wall thickness of 0.375". There is an 'Extra Strong' (XS) which is usually schedule 80 up to about 8" before it changes. There is also an "Double Extra Strong' (XXS) which usually has a thicker wall than schedule 160 up to about 8". And dogdays is right, up to 10", Schedule 40 ID is the nominal ID of the pipe. 12" is an oddball. 14" and above the OD of the pipe is nominal size.

Can you tell I do this for a living?
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Fuel Lines - measured by ID or OD? - 02/15/12 07:11 PM

hello,
your fuel lines are 5/16 main supply, if you have a return its 1/4
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: Fuel Lines - measured by ID or OD? - 02/15/12 09:12 PM

Quote:

There are a number of caveats with pipe sizing. In addition to the concept of schedule there is also a 'Standard' (STD) weight which for the most part is schedule 40 up to 12". Larger STD sizes have a constant wall thickness of 0.375". There is an 'Extra Strong' (XS) which is usually schedule 80 up to about 8" before it changes. There is also an "Double Extra Strong' (XXS) which usually has a thicker wall than schedule 160 up to about 8". And dogdays is right, up to 10", Schedule 40 ID is the nominal ID of the pipe. 12" is an oddball. 14" and above the OD of the pipe is nominal size.

Can you tell I do this for a living?

Me too...I'm sitting at my desk at the steel pipe company right now...
© 2024 Moparts Forums