Moparts

Can't stop thermostat housing leak

Posted By: tee-john

Can't stop thermostat housing leak - 02/12/12 04:16 PM

Is it ok to double up a gasket on the thermostat housing? I have a small drip that can't be stopped and I noticed that the thermostat housing rocks back and forth on the intake and I tried to balance it out some but still not great. If it is ok to double up do I need to use RTV or ultra copper also? Thx
Posted By: LS-300

Re: Can't stop thermostat housing leak - 02/12/12 04:19 PM

I use the RVT on the housing side. You may want to put a straight edge across the housing to check for flatness.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Can't stop thermostat housing leak - 02/12/12 04:31 PM

I just use a good gasket and brown Permatex.Mine is chrome and never leaks.Rocky
Posted By: mcmopars

Re: Can't stop thermostat housing leak - 02/12/12 04:45 PM

Quote:

Is it ok to double up a gasket on the thermostat housing? I have a small drip that can't be stopped and I noticed that the thermostat housing rocks back and forth on the intake and I tried to balance it out some but still not great. If it is ok to double up do I need to use RTV or ultra copper also? Thx

if it rocks that should tell you something.is it the chrome one by chance? i had to work mine over to get it true. then used the red gasket sealer
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Can't stop thermostat housing leak - 02/12/12 05:10 PM

it's severely warped. Drawfile it (& the flange it sits on) & see if you can get it flat
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Can't stop thermostat housing leak - 02/12/12 07:30 PM

Contact Moparts member here Gregg Travis AKA Roadhazard for the gasket you need.He makes a few different types for whatever housing you are using.
Got his gaskets on my w.pump housing with a motor plate with zero sealer and ZERO leaks.I also am using a chrome water neck and one of his gaskets dry with zero leaks there as well
Best darn gaskets money can buy
Gus

Attached picture 7067741-mysavoy.jpg
Posted By: CUDA8U

Re: Can't stop thermostat housing leak - 02/12/12 07:39 PM

take housing off,buff clean and dry,mask off chrome area,spray with light coat of primer or paint,once dry secure in vise, run flat file across the flange and any high spots on it will have the primer takin off,continue this process until its flat
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Can't stop thermostat housing leak - 02/12/12 07:52 PM

Quote:

If it is 1 of those chrome Mopar Performance Chinese specials...
Toss it in the dumpster, you can sand it, grind it, put multiple gaskets and layers of RTV it will still leak..
The problems is the low quality recycled material used....

Get yourself an OE cast iron clone from Napa or the nice billet one from Mancini..

Just my $0.02...
Posted By: Todd

Re: Can't stop thermostat housing leak - 02/12/12 08:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If it is 1 of those chrome Mopar Performance Chinese specials...
Toss it in the dumpster, you can sand it, grind it, put multiple gaskets and layers of RTV it will still leak..
The problems is the low quality recycled material used....

Get yourself an OE cast iron clone from Napa or the nice billet one from Mancini..

Just my $0.02...

Had on of those same things replaced the neck and gasket with a thin layer of mopar gray sealant and problem solved.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Can't stop thermostat housing leak - 02/12/12 09:11 PM

I use the brown permatex to seal it....Used to apply the Blue RTV ..

As for the rocking...take it off and file it down. It can't be that hard. Go in single motion in one direction. I had to file my one cast iron HP manifold and it took me 10 hours over 2 days to do so. Don't double up the gaskets because the gaskets will probably end up blowing out while you are on the road and then you will wish you had done it the right way. If you gotta get the car somewhere fast, then yeah...double up...but don't leave it accident prone.
Posted By: BeEtLeJuIcE !

Re: Can't stop thermostat housing leak - 02/12/12 09:33 PM

Quote:

it's severely warped. Drawfile it (& the flange it sits on) & see if you can get it flat

x 2 ... ORE just put it on a belt-sander and that should straighten it out
Posted By: Von

Re: Can't stop thermostat housing leak - 02/12/12 09:48 PM

[quoteIf it is 1 of those chrome Mopar Performance Chinese specials...

x10!!!!

I had one, filed the neck ifself, filed the housing, used right stuff, etc...it never stopped leaking. Total POS.....

I took a chance and tried the billet piece from Source. Never a drop.....
© 2024 Moparts Forums