Moparts

valve train help

Posted By: 471b1dart

valve train help - 02/10/12 01:59 AM

working on a 77 dodge 4x4 with 30,000 miles on it , customer had some one install a edelbrock performer cam and lifters , and new pushrods ,an Intake and 4bbl now the engine has a tapping noise coming from vavetrain area that is intermitant, took vavle covers off everything looks fine, If it were mine I would have replaced rockers too. some times the noise seems to come from bellhousing area too, any suggestions what to look for would be appreciated
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: valve train help - 02/10/12 02:08 AM

1st see what you have for preload

Re: valve train help - 02/10/12 02:11 AM

ok , but it has non adjustable rockerarms , how to check for preload??
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: valve train help - 02/10/12 02:27 AM

On #1 cyl on base circle (TDC #1 cyl compression) measure how far the rocker arm assy compresses the lifter cup down starting from all the way up against the retainer. Use a sharpie on a pushrod before/after in relation to a reference mark to a straight edge across the head valve cover flat rail. (iirc .020-.030" is enough) one or more may be borderline too close since it's intermittent tho I did have a late hyd lifter /6 w noise that came & went & never had a prob ex for the occaisional noise but it was bothersome & it was not hotrodded so I put up w it
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: valve train help - 02/10/12 02:59 AM

Did the exhaust valves have rotators. If so get rid of the m and get some regular springs and retainers. Rotators and springs are very short and good source for coil bind with much over a stock cam

Re: valve train help - 02/10/12 12:16 PM

thanks for the help , gives me some things to look at a little closer
© 2024 Moparts Forums