Moparts

American Powertrain - experiences?

Posted By: ramman5600

American Powertrain - experiences? - 02/08/12 04:37 PM

Anyone dealt directly with American Powertrain? Seem to be good guys, but just curious before I lay down some serious coin.

-C
Posted By: rbstroker

Re: American Powertrain - experiences? - 02/08/12 05:00 PM

I got the flywheel and clutch assembly for my '65 from them. Good guys to work with, but the flywheel turned out to be exactly the same one offered at 440 source for quite a bit less. Absolutely no problems so far.

Re: American Powertrain - experiences? - 02/08/12 11:54 PM

Quote:

I got the flywheel and clutch assembly for my '65 from them. Good guys to work with, but the flywheel turned out to be exactly the same one offered at 440 source for quite a bit less. Absolutely no problems so far.

What's quite a bit less?
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: American Powertrain - experiences? - 02/09/12 01:50 AM

I am working with them right now. I got their billet flywheel over the summer. They have that version which is american made and an import version.

I also got the clutch kit and hydraulic actuation kit that I am in the middle of installing.

Good tech support from Gray. He is very knowledgeable.
Posted By: Beep Beep

Re: American Powertrain - experiences? - 02/09/12 02:47 AM

I purchased an sfi approved flywheel and full face Kevlar disc with pressure plate. I dealt with Mat, very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. I have spoke with other sales staff at American Power train and they were all great to deal with. There customers definitely come first.
Posted By: Crazy68Dart

Re: American Powertrain - experiences? - 02/09/12 03:40 AM

Quote:

I purchased an sfi approved flywheel and full face Kevlar disc with pressure plate. I dealt with Mat, very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. I have spoke with other sales staff at American Power train and they were all great to deal with. There customers definitely come first.

It sounds like I got the same flywheel, clutch kit, Kevlar, etc. They are definitely customer oriented which is hard to come by in many cases these days.
Posted By: finadk

Re: American Powertrain - experiences? - 02/09/12 03:13 PM

American Powertrain
I bought a complete T56 Magnum setup from them. I have a very unusual setup, a 408 Stroker into a 56 Dodge. This was learning experience and there are more variables then you might expect when matching the components.

Price wise buying the entire kit (Trans, Bell, clutch, flywheel etc, etc) was on paper only a few hundred much more than scrounging parts books and sourcing all of the parts myself. (I will share my spreadsheet with anyone who wants to see it) By the time you add shipping to each individual component (NOT TO MENTION TECHNICAL SUPPORT) I am sure it would have cost me hundreds MORE than sourcing it all from American Powertrain.

The real measure of a company is not when things go right but when they go wrong. We learned that Tremec redesigned the oil pump boss on the front of the Magnum and Quicktime was supposed to have re-machined the bell housings so that it would fit. Guess what..... Quicktime was bought out and the unmodified Bell's were put on the shelf shipped to customers. The problem was diagnosed at 10PM and the bell picked the next day, machined and returned within 10 days. Not AP's fault but they got on the problem and made it right.

We also found out the hard way that my stroker crank has a different diameter journal for the pilot bearing than stock. Once again after hours tech support (and some emailed pictures) got the root of the problem and a new custom pilot bearing was machined and shipped to my door.

My car, and the trans install has a way to go, YEAH for the up to 2 years before the warranty starts to run, I had this trans a year already and have a lOOOOOOng way to go.

I cant even remember how many times I called with other questions on the installation. These guys know what they are doing, and make sure their customer's are happy.

Posted By: 70chall440

Re: American Powertrain - experiences? - 02/09/12 06:08 PM

bought a kelvar clutch from them, no issues. they seem to know thier business and the parts arrived as predicted.
Posted By: None2Slow

Re: American Powertrain - experiences? - 02/09/12 06:30 PM

Quote:

The real measure of a company is not when things go right but when they go wrong.

This sums it all up.
Posted By: ewolfe

Re: American Powertrain - experiences? - 03/12/12 08:42 PM

I can't get the guys to return my calls...very strange. They asked me to send pictures of my setup to help me get the right hydraulic bearing rebuild kit (McLeod) but will not call back or return emails.

I spoke directly with Bill (owner) twice before they went dark on me. I still need to buy a clutch, shifter, drive shaft...lots of stuff but they won't call me back...weird.

I guess I'll try Keisler...any other guys you recommend to do business with?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: American Powertrain - experiences? - 03/12/12 09:03 PM

Quote:

I can't get the guys to return my calls...very strange. They asked me to send pictures of my setup to help me get the right hydraulic bearing rebuild kit (McLeod) but will not call back or return emails.

I spoke directly with Bill (owner) twice before they went dark on me. I still need to buy a clutch, shifter, drive shaft...lots of stuff but they won't call me back...weird.

Keisler doesn't sell or carry the McLeod line of hyd throwouts

But before you venture away from APT, have you tried contacting Gray at APT? rather than Bill....?

Re: American Powertrain - experiences? - 03/12/12 09:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Keisler doesn't sell or carry the McLeod line of hyd throwouts

But before you venture away from APT, have you tried contacting Gray at APT? rather than Bill....?

I second that. Gray was very responsive when I had questions.
Posted By: AmericanPwrtrain

Re: American Powertrain - experiences? - 03/12/12 11:18 PM

Quote:

Yikes! This is Gray and I am here at my phone, 931.646.4836 ext 103. Bills phone has been fragged today and the rest of us have been taking as many calls as we can answer. Call me directly anytime, or email me at gray@americanpowertrain.com and I will call you back immediately. I even get my email on my cell phone. I'm here for you man!
Posted By: ewolfe

Re: American Powertrain - experiences? - 03/13/12 01:14 AM

Hey Gray,

I'm glad to hear from you guys. After talking with you Gray, I understand how things could have gotten crossed up. I'm glad to hear you're back.

Thank you for calling me to clear things up. I also want to thank you guys for working with me to straighten out this project I purchased as the TKO is a big part of it.

Board members, it looks like we have a case of crossed communication wires here. These guys are good to work with. I knew something strange was happening as they were too responsive initially.

Gray, you're the man!

Thanks!
© 2024 Moparts Forums