Moparts

could someone decode my 440

Posted By: chargers777

could someone decode my 440 - 02/06/12 01:21 AM

We bought a truck this weekend with a transplanted 440.It reads 7 T 440 E 2 2 2 maltease cross diamond.I know the e is cast crank not sure about the rest.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: could someone decode my 440 - 02/06/12 07:03 AM

Quote:

We bought a truck this weekend with a transplanted 440.It reads 7 T 440 E 2 2 2 maltease cross diamond.I know the e is cast crank not sure about the rest.

7 = 1977 model year
T = Trenton engine plant
440 = 440
2 2 2 = assembled Feb 2nd 1977 on the 2nd shift

Maltese cross means the crank is .001 undersize.

THE KILLER , Diamond means the lifter bores are .008 OVERSIZE , unless you have the lifter bores BUSHED the block is JUNK, NO ONE sells .008 oversize lifters .. not even Chrysler anymore...

Been there , bushed the block after 2 failed cams ...
Posted By: chargers777

Re: could someone decode my 440 - 02/06/12 08:34 AM

The motor runs great so I dont plan on tearing it down.Thanks for the info.Is that one bearing is undersize and one lifter bore or all of them?
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: could someone decode my 440 - 02/06/12 10:51 AM

Quote:

7 = 1977 model year

2 2 2 = assembled Feb 2nd 1972 on the 2nd shift

Sorry John, but, not to be a critic, that motor most likely wasn't built/assembled 5 years prior to 77.

Re: could someone decode my 440 - 02/06/12 01:14 PM

Quote:

Sorry John, but, not to be a critic, that motor most likely wasn't built/assembled 5 years prior to 77.

Typo on my part obviously , thanks for pointing it out .

Re: could someone decode my 440 - 02/06/12 01:16 PM

Quote:

The motor runs great so I dont plan on tearing it down.Thanks for the info.Is that one bearing is undersize and one lifter bore or all of them?

No that is ALL the mains and I think rods because it doesn't specify which.

ALL lifter bores, but even if it were one lifter bore you still have to bush the block because no one makes that lifter size.

As long as you are happy with it in it's current configuration you are all set.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: could someone decode my 440 - 02/06/12 05:45 PM

Just don't lose those OS lifters!

R.

Re: could someone decode my 440 - 02/06/12 05:50 PM

Quote:

Just don't lose those OS lifters!

R.

I guess if he wanted to he could attempt to rebuild them and send them out to be refaced to use on another cam .
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: could someone decode my 440 - 02/06/12 06:38 PM

so its a 72?

Re: could someone decode my 440 - 02/06/12 07:13 PM

Quote:

so its a 72?

I screwed up , I had 2 2 2 on my brain , it's a 77 .
Posted By: dogdays

Re: could someone decode my 440 - 02/06/12 07:24 PM

Or could have new lifters plated to oversize.
I remember a Mopar Muscle article about a 340 block that had this problem, gave the builder fits.

R.

Re: could someone decode my 440 - 02/06/12 07:55 PM

Quote:

I remember a Mopar Muscle article about a 340 block that had this problem, gave the builder fits.

R.

I had a block was not stamped oversize but the bores were out of whack and the geometry was way out , best and easiest way to correct was to bush the block .
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: could someone decode my 440 - 02/06/12 09:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

R.

I had a block was not stamped oversize but the bores were out of whack and the geometry was way out , best and easiest way to correct was to bush the block .

What's the cost for that? I would have thought that unless it was a #'s block, it would be cheaper to start with a block that doesn't have any issues? Just curious.

Dave

Re: could someone decode my 440 - 02/06/12 10:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

R.

What's the cost for that? I would have thought that unless it was a #'s block, it would be cheaper to start with a block that doesn't have any issues? Just curious.

Dave

I had no choice , it had a ton of other machine work already done, was lucky it only cost $750 considering where it was when it was found.

Just had it done to my current pure stock build 383 , cost about $500 , the plus is it caps off the free flow of oil past the lifters , more oil goes where it's supposed to go instead of just flooding the rotating assembly .

Re: could someone decode my 440 - 02/06/12 10:26 PM

Quote:

I had no choice , it had a ton of other machine work already done, was lucky it only cost $750 considering where it was when it was found.

Just had it done to my current pure stock build 383 , cost about $500 , the plus is it caps off the free flow of oil past the lifters , more oil goes where it's supposed to go instead of just flooding the rotating assembly .

Hmm; I see....so probably best to pass on the block if you know it has this marking up front then.

The 383 is for the Dart, right? you've been talking about getting that car to the PSMCDR for almost as many years as I have! Maybe we'll both get there in the next year or two!

Dave

Re: could someone decode my 440 - 02/06/12 10:57 PM

Yes if the block has a diamond stamped on the pad pass unless it comes with an envelope full of 20's .

the 383 is for the dart ,the plan is to be there this year , I'm done doing things for others , working on my own stuff now .

Re: could someone decode my 440 - 02/07/12 04:24 PM

Quote:

Yes if the block has a diamond stamped on the pad pass unless it comes wit han envolpe full of 20's .

the 383 is for the dart ,the plan is to be there this year , I'm done doing things for others , working on my own stuff now .

Well good luck! My car SHOULD be done this spring, but I'm not sure I'll be able to drag it all the way to Michigan this fall......might fly out and watch the fun though.

Dave
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: could someone decode my 440 - 02/07/12 04:33 PM

I thought GG was gonna do all the decoding now on Moparts? Isn't that what he does? Come on GG a little help would be in order IMO.

Re: could someone decode my 440 - 02/07/12 05:38 PM

Quote:

I thought GG was gonna do all the decoding now on Moparts? Isn't that what he does? Come on GG a little help would be in order IMO.

© 2024 Moparts Forums