Moparts

Weird Cam Bolt Washer

Posted By: bobs66440

Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 01/30/12 03:37 PM

I've never seen a washer like this. Is it a lock washer of some sort? It was on the engine when I got it.

Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 01/30/12 03:38 PM

WRONG washer , thats there because someone LOST the correct one , get it changed out .
Posted By: MLR426

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 01/30/12 03:44 PM

I would not use that washer look at how the bolt head is cutting into the soft washer. Is that a dome washer ??

logan426

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 01/30/12 04:46 PM

Ok, I thought it looked wrong. Can I use a standard flat washer? I looked on 440 Source and theirs just looks like a thick flat washer.

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 01/30/12 04:54 PM

Quote:

Ok, I thought it looked wrong. Can I use a standard flat washer? I looked on 440 Source and theirs just looks like a thick flat washer.

NO you need the correct washer , it's THICK for a reason .

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 01/30/12 05:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Right, I meant can I use a thick flat washer like from a hardware store. I looked on Summit site and they only show the bolt. I have to place an order with them anyway so I'll ask if they have any in stock. Thanks.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 01/30/12 05:14 PM

looks like they used a cupped shock absorber washer?
Smallblock has to use a cupped washer, but I'm bot sure about the bigblock? It might be a thick flat washer. I might have a few laying around, I went to the 3-bolt cam/timing sets on all my bigblocks.

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 01/30/12 05:30 PM

I called Summit and they don't have anything like that. I need a thick 7/16 flat washer with a 1-1/4" outside diameter to stay inside the pin coming through the cam sprocket. This is a Cloyes timing set. I'm not sure if they are all like this.

I'll have to call 440 Source when they open.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 01/30/12 05:47 PM

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/camathar1.html

$9 at Mancini...bolt and washer..

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 01/30/12 06:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Right, I meant can I use a thick flat washer like from a hardware store. I looked on Summit site and they only show the bolt. I have to place an order with them anyway so I'll ask if they have any in stock. Thanks.

I don't thing you are not going to get the correct thick HARDENED washer at the hardware store.

I want to say the right washer should overlap the head of that pin some ? I don't remember ???
Posted By: ditchdrift

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 01/30/12 06:48 PM

http://store.440source.com/Bolt-kit-Timing-Chain-to-Camshaft-Single-bolt/productinfo/109-1510/

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 01/31/12 01:20 AM

Quote:

http://store.440source.com/Bolt-kit-Timing-Chain-to-Camshaft-Single-bolt/productinfo/109-1510/

Thanks, I ordered that.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 01/31/12 10:09 PM

The original single-bolt cam washer is a Belleville washer (slightly cup-shaped)...if the replacement isn't a Belleville I would be sure to use red Loctite on the bolt.
Posted By: MLR426

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 01/31/12 10:25 PM

Quote:

The original single-bolt cam washer is a Belleville washer (slightly cup-shaped)...if the replacement isn't a Belleville I would be sure to use red Loctite on the bolt.

Yes I agree with the cupped version but that cupped washer looks dead soft.

logan426
Posted By: 446acuda

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 01/31/12 11:05 PM

Quote:

I've never seen a washer like this. Is it a lock washer of some sort? It was on the engine when I got it.

it looks like somebody lost the correct washer and used some kind of shock washer as a replacement.

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 02/01/12 12:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

it looks like somebody lost the correct washer and used some kind of shock washer as a replacement.

That's what it is! I compared it to a shock washer (or maybe sway bar bushing washer) I had in the parts bin and it's identical.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 02/01/12 04:39 PM

makes one wonder what else trick was used in that build?
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 02/01/12 05:03 PM

Quote:

Fram oil filter?
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 02/01/12 05:15 PM

Quote:

Looks like a drilled-out shock absorber washer? I'd sure look a LOT deeper into that one
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 02/01/12 05:26 PM

And !!

Attached picture 7048024-SAM_2171900x675.jpg
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 02/01/12 05:28 PM

The hardware stores around here have hardened bolts and washers. i.e. grade 5 & 8.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Weird Cam Bolt Washer - 02/01/12 05:28 PM

That is the correct washer for the small block stuff. Its got that concave shape to let the cam come through the fuel pump ecentric on small block set ups. Wrong for a big block, and accually crappy on the small blocks also. I use a billet aluminum washer thats cut to clear the cam.

Kasey
© 2024 Moparts Forums