Moparts

Engine should die, right?

Posted By: kenz

Engine should die, right? - 01/30/12 04:36 AM

If you cover the carb on a running engine, it should die, right? The 318 in our 73 Duster will keep running when we cover the carb with a cloth. 2
We've been having problems getting it running correctly. It's a rebuilt engine with a new Edelbrock carb and manifold. We've tried 2 different manifolds and 2 different carbs, all new. We've tried spraying carb cleaner all over the carb and manifold while running and it has no effect. So where is it getting air from?
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Ken

Re: Engine should die, right? - 01/30/12 04:38 AM

I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Could a moderator move it?
sorry.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Engine should die, right? - 01/30/12 05:09 AM

More detailed info: when did it start, any part changes preceding it acting up, was it right at one time. You're in the right forum unless you're saying you had a prior thread on this somewhere else & I doubt if the mods will move it, we'll fix it for you!
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: Engine should die, right? - 01/30/12 05:23 AM

big vacum leak
Posted By: Secret Chimp

Re: Engine should die, right? - 01/30/12 05:39 AM

Cracked/leaking PCV hose?
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Engine should die, right? - 01/30/12 05:55 AM

Possible bad brake booster. Disconnect ALL external vacuum lines, including vacuum advance and plug the sources......
Posted By: newvcode

Re: Engine should die, right? - 01/30/12 10:13 PM

Quote:

big vacum leak

No doubt!!! Also check throttle plates and rod bushings... shoot some WD40 in the bushing sides if it revs.... they're toast.

Re: Engine should die, right? - 01/30/12 10:25 PM

Change the intake gaskets & get the composition ones & use Permatex "high tack" the red stuff in a spray can & use a thick/wide carefully placed swath of clear silicone on the front/rear rails in place of the gaskets letting it sit up overnight as the supplied front/rear gaskets can be too thick but if a massive vac leak it'd have to be an intake/head interface gasket/alignment prob I'd think

Re: Engine should die, right? - 01/31/12 01:41 AM

The engine has never run correctly. We bought a rebuilt long block and have been trying to get it running. Here's what has been done so far.

1- Started with a new Edelbrock Performer manifold and 600 cfm carb.

2- Changed the carb to a new Edelbrock 650 cfm

3- Changed manifold to a new Weiand Action Plus

Intake gaskets are Fel-Pro composite with a light coating of RTV and RTV on the end rails. Throughout all of this all vacuum lines are disconnected and plugged. We've sprayed carb cleaner all over the carb and manifold while the engine is running after each change. There is no change in the idle so I can't see how it's pulling air from outside the engine.

I suspect an intake manifold to head mismatch but since we've tried 2 different brand new manifolds I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with one or both heads. There's nothing else it could be, is there?

Thanks,
Ken
Posted By: OldMoparMan

Re: Engine should die, right? - 01/31/12 01:46 AM

Does it have an EGR valve or similar smog valve if so check it or plug the lines off and try running the engine

Re: Engine should die, right? - 01/31/12 02:21 AM

Quote:

The engine has never run correctly.

Might switch gears & check true TDC on the dampener & dont remem if you mentioned what it is timed at. rotor phasing acceptable. EGR closed. Kind of WAG ing here. I enjoy 318's, wish I was closer to give you a hand

Re: Engine should die, right? - 01/31/12 02:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The engine has never run correctly.

Might switch gears & check true TDC on the dampener & dont remem if you mentioned what it is timed at. rotor phasing acceptable. EGR closed. Kind of WAG ing here. I enjoy 318's, wish I was closer to give you a hand

We verified tdc and degreed the cam to make sure everything was correct. Plus it was a good learning experience for my son. :-)

The timing is set at 18 degrees btdc.
There is no egr.

Not sure about rotor phasing but I forgot to mention that we tried both a rebuilt stock distributor and a MP unit. Made no difference.

We've spent so much trying new parts that I guess we should have just bought a crate motor. :-(

Thanks again for the help.
Ken

Re: Engine should die, right? - 01/31/12 02:42 AM

Sure is pointing to a vac leak. We're gonna laugh when we find it
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Engine should die, right? - 02/01/12 01:10 AM

Quote:

If you cover the carb on a running engine, it should die, right? The 318 in our 73 Duster will keep running when we cover the carb with a cloth.

CLOTH? gonna keep running. The cloth is essentially an air filter.

Re: Engine should die, right? - 02/01/12 02:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If you cover the carb on a running engine, it should die, right? The 318 in our 73 Duster will keep running when we cover the carb with a cloth.

CLOTH? gonna keep running. The cloth is essentially an air filter.

I used a shop rag with my hands over it just to be sure. I'm fairly certain no air was getting into the top of the carb. :-)
© 2024 Moparts Forums