Moparts

Don't use nice headers during break-in?

Posted By: dfsmopars

Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/24/12 04:31 AM

So I found out tonight that it is not recommended to use ceramic coated headers during break-in. So this means I really have no choice but to install the Hooker Comps and then swap them out with TTI later. After fitting up the Comps tonight I was ready to lay down the money for the TTIs until I read that tid bit. What a pain to have to take out the Comps.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/24/12 04:35 AM

Another reason to do your break in on a test stand or better yet a dyno...
Posted By: 440newport

Re: Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/24/12 04:36 AM

I've heard of that too, but have never seen first hand the damage that can be done.

Personally, as long as you get the timing in the ballpark quick enough I wouldn't worry about it.
Posted By: topside

Re: Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/24/12 04:46 AM

Never had that problem, whether coated or painted or even porcelainized.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/24/12 04:58 AM

all depends if you do it right , many do not .

If you have a helper... or three ... on hand to start the engine while you, or somebody else, stand ready with a timing light and tach connected , bring it right up to 2000 rpm and get the timing set to 36-38 degrees you should not get the headers cherry red and burn off the coating .
Posted By: tubedriver

Re: Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/24/12 05:32 AM

My TTI headers got toasted....Don't know whether to recommend just making it richer to start with, but the idle mixture setting from the stock heads was enough lean with the new Indy heads at idle to make the headers glow in short order, like real fast! So my headers are cooked.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/24/12 02:40 PM

Quote:

My TTI headers got toasted....Don't know whether to recommend just making it richer to start with, but the idle mixture setting from the stock heads was enough lean with the new Indy heads at idle to make the headers glow in short order, like real fast! So my headers are cooked.

Mine too when I first started my 440 back in 2005. It's hard not to get them cherry red when you are reving at 2000 rpm for 20 minutes. Use junk headers first during break in. My
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/24/12 03:06 PM

If your headers get cherry red hot, then the mixture or timing is off. Set the timing as soon as its started. Use a known good carb. If you have made performace changes richen up the primaries 1 or 2 sizes for safety.
Posted By: moparts

Re: Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/24/12 03:14 PM

Quote:

If your headers get cherry red hot, then the mixture or timing is off. Set the timing as soon as its started. Use a known good carb. If you have made performace changes richen up the primaries 1 or 2 sizes for safety.

Disagree, Under a "no load condition", like braking in a cam you will get the headers nice and red with correct timing and mixture, no way around it. Your running in the idle circuit.
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/24/12 03:19 PM

At 2000 RPM you are off the Idle screws. I have never heated up the headers on 7 different builds. Am assuming that the idle screws we set at 1 1/2 turns to start. I am asumimng that you have an automatic which will put a very small load on the motor.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/24/12 03:29 PM

A flat tappet 20 minute run-in DOES NOT have to be all in one shot.

As long as it fires up instantly without any excessive cranking....5 minutes at a time, or 10 minutes at a time works just fine.

Let it cool off between runs, and then do another run until your total equals at least 20 minutes.

The idea is to run in the cam and lifters, establish lifter rotation and a wear pattern. The oil and coolant temp, as long as within safe limits, can be on the cold side during the process and it will not do any harm whatsoever. There is no need to melt it down trying to do it all in one shot.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/24/12 03:51 PM

Some say yes, some say no,....personally in 30 yrs of engine building, and countless break ins, avg 2000 RPM@20-30 mins.....I've never "fried" a set of headers, even nickel plated, chrome, painted, or ceramic coated units, including TTI's

I do make sure all perimeters of the engine are set before firing, and all external sensors, gauges, timing equipment, etc, is attached ready to go
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/24/12 04:58 PM

.............or get a roller setup and avoid having the the cam-break in procedure...

When I do my 505 break-in (if I hadn't bought the roller setup) I would have a proven manifold, carb, throttle setup. All I would need to do is set the timing on the mark and I am good to go. Any way you can pull an existing working setup from another car and use the induction side that has the best results?
Posted By: B_Body_Bob

Re: Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/24/12 05:06 PM

If it's an auto you might want to think about putting it in neutral instead of leaving it in park. Remember the pump doesn't run in park, the fluid is your lube, and 20 minutes is a good chunk of time.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/24/12 11:58 PM

Quote:

A flat tappet 20 minute run-in DOES NOT have to be all in one shot.

As long as it fires up instantly without any excessive cranking....5 minutes at a time, or 10 minutes at a time works just fine.

Let it cool off between runs, and then do another run until your total equals at least 20 minutes.

The idea is to run in the cam and lifters, establish lifter rotation and a wear pattern. The oil and coolant temp, as long as within safe limits, can be on the cold side during the process and it will not do any harm whatsoever. There is no need to melt it down trying to do it all in one shot.

This is encouraging. I have had to shut down before and worried that I screwed something up. Once I had 2 NEW spark plug wires fail. Another time I had a fuel leak, another time it was coolant......
Posted By: b54406barrel

Re: Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/25/12 01:12 AM

I always have a fan aimed at the car, keeps the air moving pretty good in the engine compartment, too.

Attached picture 7035408-unnamed.jpg
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/25/12 01:17 AM

My Jet Hot Ceramic ("Sterling") coating held up just fine during a cam breakin.

It may depend on the quality of the coating.
In addition to how HOT it actually gets of course.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/25/12 02:55 AM

yep I have never had a problem with messing up headers during break in.
Posted By: dfsmopars

Re: Don't use nice headers during break-in? - 01/26/12 04:45 AM

OK, which one of you Masters want to come to the great state of KY and help start this thing up in a few weeks? This is my first solo build and start up so I am a little nervous. I am ready to get it over with so I know everything is OK. I still have a little work to do to get ready. Mount the electric fuel pump, new carb, new linkage, headers, front end accessories, oil it, valve covers and hook it all up.
Question, if I am at TDC and the crank mark is right before zero on the timing chain cover isn't ths a good place to start?
© 2024 Moparts Forums