Moparts

TTI's x-pipe or h-pipe

Posted By: 69 mayflower

TTI's x-pipe or h-pipe - 01/12/12 06:17 AM

I am going to install TTI's 2 1/2" exhaust system on my '69 Sport Satellite.Basically stock 383 with an automatic transmission.I will be using the factory hi-performance manifolds.Is there any reason to spend the few extra dollars for the x-pipe system over the h-pipe system on a stock build.Any pro's or con's regarding TTI's systems from you guys that have experience with them would be appreciated.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: TTI's x-pipe or h-pipe - 01/12/12 11:56 AM

An X pipe gives significantly more noise reduction than an H system just from it's accoustical properties which will let you use a more free flowing (louder) muffs for more HP and still have an acceptable noise level. The most restricted aspect of the total air pump (the eng) typically is the ex. I would suggest mandrel bends.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: TTI's x-pipe or h-pipe - 01/12/12 12:00 PM

Check out some you-tube clips, the X changes the sound over the H. I don't like the X pipe sound at all. The X seems to give a more modern mellow smooth sound where the H gives more of that rumbley old school sound.
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: TTI's x-pipe or h-pipe - 01/12/12 01:33 PM

Quote:

Check out some you-tube clips, the X changes the sound over the H. I don't like the X pipe sound at all. The X seems to give a more modern mellow smooth sound where the H gives more of that rumbley old school sound.

always though my car had a nice sound.

tti headers, 3" x-pipe system to the rear bumper using dynomax super turbo mufflers..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7f9x4FKO6I

Posted By: bobbyb

Re: TTI's x-pipe or h-pipe - 01/12/12 01:35 PM

I had the TTI X-pipe system on my Hemi Challenger and I didn't think it was loud enough for me. I would hear 383 Roadrunners idle past me like at Carlisle and they would sound way cooler, Also mine did sound good at WOT, but I couldn't do that alot.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: TTI's x-pipe or h-pipe - 01/12/12 10:14 PM

I like the TTi 3 inch system with x-pipe and dynomax's, but my car sounds coolest with the electric exhaust cutouts and small megaphone tip wide open just in front of the cross-over.

It's the best of both worlds, and you can open them a little or all the way to suit the venue.

I've since had the entire exhaust system coated in black ceramic. It looks much cooler now.

Attached picture 7015062-IMG_0971(Large).jpg
Posted By: dangina

Re: TTI's x-pipe or h-pipe - 01/13/12 02:14 AM

since your running a stock 383 all you need is the 2 1/2" exhaust - couldn't he just run a 3" exhaust if he wanted it to be "louder?"
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: TTI's x-pipe or h-pipe - 01/13/12 02:44 AM

With a stock motor,go the H pipe route.
Quiet when at cruising speed and has a nice smooth tone at idle.
Still have a snarly bark when goosing it,too.
Engine temps will come down,and you will see better fuel economy.
I did with the TTi 2-1/2 inch system with Dynomax Super Turbo's..
The X pipe has more flow,but recommend it for a more powerful motor that is more strip/street.

Posted By: 69 mayflower

Re: TTI's x-pipe or h-pipe - 01/13/12 03:23 AM

Thanks for all the comments and pictures thus far.That will surely help me to decide which way to go.However, just to throw another kink into the works,since I've been doing exhaust system research,I've come across Accurate Exhaust who is a sponsor here on Moparts.It looks like they have a very nice system too.14 gauge pipe instead of TTI's 16 gauge.Tailpipe turndowns built in instead of the clamp on style that TTI has.However it looks like they have no crossover pipe for a 383 system.And if I read the diagram correctly,it's a 2 1/4" system for a 383.Also I'm not sure they are a mandrel bend system.So,here we go again.Any thoughts or comments on them.None of these are cheap,so I just want to be well informed before plunking down the money.
Posted By: Beebuzzn

Re: TTI's x-pipe or h-pipe - 01/13/12 04:06 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all the comments and pictures thus far.That will surely help me to decide which way to go.However, just to throw another kink into the works,since I've been doing exhaust system research,I've come across Accurate Exhaust who is a sponsor here on Moparts.It looks like they have a very nice system too.14 gauge pipe instead of TTI's 16 gauge.Tailpipe turndowns built in instead of the clamp on style that TTI has.However it looks like they have no crossover pipe for a 383 system.And if I read the diagram correctly,it's a 2 1/4" system for a 383.Also I'm not sure they are a mandrel bend system.So,here we go again.Any thoughts or comments on them.None of these are cheap,so I just want to be well informed before plunking down the money.

Call Accurate and tell them what your looking for as they have and do alot of stuff not shown on their web page. Nice stuff.
Posted By: 70runner

Re: TTI's x-pipe or h-pipe - 01/13/12 04:21 AM

TTI 2.5" H pipe (nice system, fits perfect):

here it run

Attached picture 7015745-full_torr.jpg
Posted By: 383man

Re: TTI's x-pipe or h-pipe - 01/13/12 05:59 AM

I use 2" TTI headers and a 3" system with an X-pipe and honestly it did not sound much different to me then the old H-pipe system. X-pipe will give a bit more HP. You can hear my car on this clip as I have Dyno-Max Ultra-Flows on it. Ron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYIM2HLaOI4&feature=related
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: TTI's x-pipe or h-pipe - 01/14/12 11:56 AM

love the looks and sound...TTI headers and H pipe factory looking turndowns out back.

Attached picture 7017798-!ByrvHZg!mk~$(KGrHqYOKiIEwR!2fMdSBMSztZlSg!~~_3.jpg
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: TTI's x-pipe or h-pipe - 01/14/12 11:57 AM

other direction

Attached picture 7017799-!ByrvF0gEWk~$(KGrHqUOKiMEwQ70HZ3QBMSztVlqQg~~_3.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums