Moparts

65 b body transmission swap

Posted By: use2teech

65 b body transmission swap - 01/09/12 04:55 PM

I know lot's have run into this but I don't finjd the post....Going to swap a later model (67-7?) 727 into my 65 coronet big block. It currently has the original 65 727 with original floor shift and I want to keep that stock shifter. Anyone know what I will need to change out ?
Posted By: MO_PA

Re: 65 b body transmission swap - 01/09/12 06:08 PM

Check with Imperial Service's
Posted By: dOc !

Re: 65 b body transmission swap - 01/09/12 06:54 PM

IMP Serv's stuff is very VERY expensive .... I say ...keep what you have. What are your plans here ?
Posted By: rbstroker

Re: 65 b body transmission swap - 01/09/12 07:33 PM

Just curious. Why change?
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: 65 b body transmission swap - 01/09/12 07:58 PM

is yours cable shift now!
I'd just swap the input of the 67 in if you want the newer input shaft??

Re: 65 b body transmission swap - 01/09/12 09:39 PM

Mine is cable shift now. bought the cables from Imperial. I am thinking of changing because after almost 2 years for putting the car together, I finally got it driveable (in the yard) and it has a huge trans leak from the bell housing. That's after I had it rebuilt and bought a new 65 only torq convertor. Just frustrated but everyone told me all along to dump that trans and go later model. Told me it would leak forever. Just not sure if I want to pull it out and fight leaks over and over......and thought maybe a TCI or A&A would be less trouble ???
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: 65 b body transmission swap - 01/09/12 09:50 PM

They don't leak if everything is the way it should be.Very poor reasioning to change a transmission.

Re: 65 b body transmission swap - 01/09/12 10:01 PM

Poor reasoning maybe....frustration, definitely. Many people have much luck using this year/model trans ? I would much rather put the money into something else.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: 65 b body transmission swap - 01/09/12 10:04 PM

Probably the front seal. No big deal.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 65 b body transmission swap - 01/10/12 12:18 AM

Quote:

Just frustrated but everyone told me all along to dump that trans and go later model.

"Everyone" gave you poor advice...not uncommon.
Posted By: 82ramIndy493

Re: 65 b body transmission swap - 01/10/12 01:16 AM

Quote:

Mine is cable shift now. bought the cables from Imperial. I am thinking of changing because after almost 2 years for putting the car together, I finally got it driveable (in the yard) and it has a huge trans leak from the bell housing. That's after I had it rebuilt and bought a new 65 only torq convertor. Just frustrated but everyone told me all along to dump that trans and go later model. Told me it would leak forever. Just not sure if I want to pull it out and fight leaks over and over......and thought maybe a TCI or A&A would be less trouble ???

More than likely improprly installed from pump bushing and the converter has snagged it and pulled it through the seal. Have seen this before. Also possible bad bushing or pump worn and won't hold bushing properly. Its easy enough to fix and as you have to pull the tranny anyway and have paid to have it built I would pull it, have the problem checked out and fix it.
Posted By: rbstroker

Re: 65 b body transmission swap - 01/10/12 02:03 AM

Before I changed over to a 4speed, I had a '65 cableshift 727 in my '65 Coronet 500. The input was changed in order to use later convertors, Cheetah valve body (revere pattern), and park system removed as in the A990 cars. Once in a while, a drip from the cable itself. Fixed that by removing the cable from the trans, removing the adjuster, cleaning with brake cleaner and carb cleaner, put rubber line over cable and filled between the cable and hose with RTV. Drier than a popcorn fart. FWIW, I'm sure that the 727 is stronger than the 833 also but not as much fun (for me).
Posted By: dvw

Re: 65 b body transmission swap - 01/10/12 02:37 AM

65 can easily be converted to late model converter. Less than $100 in parts,15 minutes worth of work with the trans on the bench. My new N/SS drag car has a 65 pushbutton. Should run low 9s. My old car ran low 10,over 1000 passes with a near stock 65 trans without failure.
Doug

Attached picture 7010299-racecar694.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums