Moparts

New Distributor gear needed for LA to Magnum swap?

Posted By: Rosco

New Distributor gear needed for LA to Magnum swap? - 01/05/12 06:08 PM

Is it necessary to change the distributor gear when using an LA dizzy in a roller lifter Magnum engine?
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Distributor gear for LA to Magnum swap - 01/05/12 06:32 PM

bottom of the distributers look the same to me.
so I cannot see why you would need to change.
Posted By: Sixgun

Re: Distributor gear for LA to Magnum swap - 01/05/12 07:46 PM

Let's see what the big kids say, but we didn't.Same drive shaft out of the old LA (we didn't get one with the mag)
The Hydro Roller stock cams (I was TOLD)
are still just cast, only need that sacrificial bronze gear deal with a billet solid roller
(a REAL mans cam )
just kidding, I have zero roller stuff, can't afford.
Posted By: Rosco

Re: Distributor gear for LA to Magnum swap - 01/05/12 08:49 PM

I was told that I didn't need to change it either,but it's better to have more than one opinion.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Distributor gear for LA to Magnum swap - 01/05/12 10:57 PM

no need to swap them,they are the same.

the old la dist drops right in a magnum engine.

on the stock SB roller cams and my lunati SB roller cam it has a cast iron gear/ring pressed on to the steel cam core so a bronze gear is not needed.

not all roller cams are like this,IIRC the BB do not get the cast ion gear on the core so a bronze gear is needed.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Distributor gear for LA to Magnum swap - 01/05/12 11:17 PM

"on the stock SB roller cams and my lunati SB roller cam it has a cast iron gear/ring pressed on to the steel cam core so a bronze gear is not needed." This is not the case.The stock cores are NOT 2 pc,just a cast cam. Many cams from Comp,Lunati and others are cast cores,not 2pc. It's not a big deal.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Distributor gear for LA to Magnum swap - 01/06/12 12:44 AM

thats just what they told me when i bought mine,you can clearly see a cast iron ring on my lunati,it has a parting line and is a blue gun metal color while the cam core is shinny chrome looking.

but then again I have been wrong before
© 2024 Moparts Forums