Moparts

Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap

Posted By: ramman5600

Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 12/31/11 05:12 AM

First off I know .. I know.. what the heck are you doing changing from a manual to and auto, but what are the best options that people have had experience with when doing this conversion - cost conscientious and this will only be a cruise, no serious racing. No console, just the 4 speed hole. Thanks

-C

Re: Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 01/01/12 05:16 AM

No suggestions?
Posted By: camdog440

Re: Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 01/01/12 05:25 AM

Changed the tunnel out on barracuda when I was a teen. USed to be a 3sp and changed it to an auto... back then the parts were easy to find in the salvage yard to make it look stock using all OEM parts. Now if I were to do it, I'd use an aftermarket shifter and not worry about the tunnel... or the console for that matter.

Re: Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 01/01/12 06:19 AM

Quote:

Changed the tunnel out on barracuda when I was a teen. USed to be a 3sp and changed it to an auto... back then the parts were easy to find in the salvage yard to make it look stock using all OEM parts. Now if I were to do it, I'd use an aftermarket shifter and not worry about the tunnel... or the console for that matter.

So what shifter would use look into?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 01/01/12 06:54 AM

Better figure out what trans first

Re: Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 01/01/12 09:02 PM

Quote:

Better figure out what trans first

727 or 727 with GV o/d.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 01/01/12 10:21 PM

I went with a B&M Quick Silver for my street rod...
cant really say I'd go that way again due to the clumsy
way it has to go to N or P, you have to lift the shifter
Posted By: terzmo

Re: Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 01/01/12 10:33 PM

for no console there are a few "shifters from hell" that will work....as I call them...lift up...lock...pull back..press down...squeeze handle...etc
Posted By: HotRod20

Re: Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 01/01/12 11:28 PM

Leave the hump in...in case you ever want to put it back. Then get any rachet shifter that you like and install it. Dont forget about the neutral safety switch and harness too.
HR20.
Posted By: topside

Re: Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 01/02/12 01:51 AM

My '64 Savoy has the 4-speed hump; made a plate to adapt a Cheetah shifter and mount some switches & fuse block. It screws into the the holes previously used for the shifter boot ring, and it's very solid because the shifter itself strengthens the 3/16" aluminum plate.
In the pic, you can see where the cable goes through the carpet & a grommeted hole in the tunnel; the black "tube" is the wiring, which will also go through & under the carpet when I finish it up. It's all easily serviceable. If the car had buckets I could move the shifter back an inch or two, but it's comfortable where it is, and easily undone if the car ever goes back to a 4-speed.

Attached picture 6996823-IM000342.JPG

Re: Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 01/02/12 01:52 AM

Right side view.

Attached picture 6996825-IM000345.JPG
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 01/02/12 02:01 AM

Quote:

Leave the hump in...in case you ever want to put it back. Then get any rachet shifter that you like and install it. Dont forget about the neutral safety switch and harness too.
HR20.

And you will need to swap the starter relay so you can wire in the NSS.
Topside- very nice work.

Tim

Re: Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 01/08/12 05:03 AM

Quote:

Right side view.

Pardon the ignorance, but is the plate necessary and also what is the button for on the Cheetah shifter?

-C

Re: Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 01/08/12 06:22 AM

No pardon needed; I used the mounting plate to adapt the Cheetah mounting pattern to the 4-speed hump and to be a base that I could mount the add-on switches and fuse block to. That way it's all easy to reach and service. The stock hump location is too far forward for this shifter. Need some kind of plate anyway to blank off that big hole in the floor. The shifter itself actually reinforces the plate, which mounts using the 4 screw holes for the 4-speed's shifter boot ring.
All Cheetahs have that button as far as I know; I use it for the line-loc, but it could be used for a transbrake or anything that uses a momentary switch.

Re: Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 01/08/12 11:56 PM

Quote:

No pardon needed; I used the mounting plate to adapt the Cheetah mounting pattern to the 4-speed hump and to be a base that I could mount the add-on switches and fuse block to. That way it's all easy to reach and service. The stock hump location is too far forward for this shifter. Need some kind of plate anyway to blank off that big hole in the floor. The shifter itself actually reinforces the plate, which mounts using the 4 screw holes for the 4-speed's shifter boot ring.
All Cheetahs have that button as far as I know; I use it for the line-loc, but it could be used for a transbrake or anything that uses a momentary switch.

2 more questions - Is the Cheetah worth the money? Is there an alternative you are aware of that would work with the stock hole location (lokar?)

Thanks for the help
-C

Re: Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 01/09/12 02:54 AM

I used a Cheetah in this car because there's one in my other car and I like it. I doubt there's anything with a long enough handle to use in the 4-speed shift tower location.
Posted By: 2Red2LoudDodge

Re: Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 01/10/12 04:09 AM

I had a BM ratchet shifter that in less than two years the cable had melted three times and one pulled out of the end cap. The fifth cable was binding before I could finish the install. Since the car was for cruising and not racing, I went with a twelve inch Lokar floor mount shifter. I used many of the same holes from the ratchet shifter rather than cut more into the tranny tunnel. I closed up the install with the boot and trim ring from a non Hurst four speed. Linkage is all mechanical, solid and no more meltdowns. I think it looks pretty good too.

Re: Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 01/10/12 04:14 AM

Quote:

I had a BM ratchet shifter that in less than two years the cable had melted three times and one pulled out of the end cap. The fifth cable was binding before I could finish the install. Since the car was for cruising and not racing, I went with a twelve inch Lokar floor mount shifter. I used many of the same holes from the ratchet shifter rather than cut more into the tranny tunnel. I closed up the install with the boot and trim ring from a non Hurst four speed. Linkage is all mechanical, solid and no more meltdowns. I think it looks pretty good too.

Any pictures?
Posted By: radar

Re: Shifter option for a manual to floor auto swap - 01/10/12 07:33 PM

I put a hurst v-matic in my swinger. It uses the same cable as B&M. It was pretty easy to bolt up a couple metal/rubber d-loops to keep it off the headers. It kind of loops around my starter. Never melted or had a problem, but the B&M replacement cable is on the shelf at most pep boys etc. next to the chevy valve cover dress up crapola. It came with all the shifter arms etc. to put it on a 727 or 904 or whatever.

The v-matic has a little learning curve, but I like it. Pull rings up for R lockout. Once it's in N the shifter pops up and you can pull back to D 2 1 like a regular column shifter. In N you can also push the stick down and pull back and it's a ratchet (slap) shifter- pull back two more times and you are in 1. Rev up in 1 and slap her foreward, you're chirping 2nd, do it again into D. Slap it up to N and it pops up back to regular shifting. My little 318 is just a cruiser, but who doesn't want to feel like Joe Dirt once in a while- chirpin gears- Aaah-aah-woo!
© 2024 Moparts Forums