Moparts

Hotchkis/Firm feel question

Posted By: Darius

Hotchkis/Firm feel question - 12/26/11 05:26 PM

I have a Hotchkis TVS on my Dart GTS. It was amazing how much the steering "firmed up" with just the TVS installed but it is still too loose for my liking.
I don't run autocross (mostly because the closest place to run is at least an hour away)but I do want a more positive response from the box.
I read a few older posts on this subject that all went to a discussion about the fast ratio pitman arm from firm feel.
My question is, since that got changed out with the TVS how does the Hotchkis equipment work with a FF stageII chuck?
Would you use a stage2 or a stage 3 with this suspension if you don't race the car?
Any Hotchkis guys care to weigh in?
Also, when it is mentioned that "the feel is more like a newer car" name a car...does a stage 2 chuck on my Dart feel like an 06 Charger RT in terms of "stiffness" at the steering wheel? I have a stock steering wheel by the way.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Hotchkis/Firm feel question - 12/26/11 10:21 PM

I have a stage III in my Dart Conv. with stock diameter wheel. I think that would be fine. Especially with the stock diameter steering wheel. Not real stiff.

Most all people that I've seen get the stage II feel they could/should have go one notch stiffer at least.

So many factors like your tires, steering wheel diameter, and personalized preference... Very tough to make recommendations.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Hotchkis/Firm feel question - 12/27/11 04:31 AM

I have the Fast Ratio idler and pitman arms on the Charger along with a stage 3 steering box. There is still some slack. My 2007 truck has none though. I wonder if it is possible to get zero slack and instant response from these old systems though. Case in point: Driving in a straight line at 45 mph I can turn the wheel a few degrees each side of center before the car responds. This is with a fully rebuilt suspension. NEW tie rod ends, bushings, ball joints, everything. Once it is past the slack, its great...
Posted By: Secret Chimp

Re: Hotchkis/Firm feel question - 12/27/11 05:00 AM

Quote:

I have the Fast Ratio idler and pitman arms on the Charger along with a stage 3 steering box. There is still some slack. My 2007 truck has none though. I wonder if it is possible to get zero slack and instant response from these old systems though. Case in point: Driving in a straight line at 45 mph I can turn the wheel a few degrees each side of center before the car responds. This is with a fully rebuilt suspension. NEW tie rod ends, bushings, ball joints, everything. Once it is past the slack, its great...

What about the coupler at the bottom of the steering column? That can wear out too...
Posted By: dart1962_440

Re: Hotchkis/Firm feel question - 12/27/11 03:09 PM

Are you sure its not the steering box/k-frame flex causing the delay/slop?
Posted By: charger

Re: Hotchkis/Firm feel question - 01/01/12 08:03 PM

Quote:

Are you sure its not the steering box/k-frame flex causing the delay/slop?

that would be my guess...I ran a stage 3 box,the fast ratio pitman, new coupler; new EVERYTHING, and there was is little slop stillright at the top of the wheel in either direction.

I had read somewhere that it could be eliminated by welding in some gussets to keep it from flexing, but I never tried.
Posted By: HUSTLESTUFF

Re: Hotchkis/Firm feel question - 01/02/12 08:00 AM

I think e booger had a cheap firm feel upgrade. Check other threads or Mopar Action. The k member stiffening helps. Mike
Posted By: 74_360_Cuda

Re: Hotchkis/Firm feel question - 01/02/12 08:26 PM

What about this from firmfeel:

http://www.firmfeel.com/sectorkit_a.htm
© 2024 Moparts Forums