Moparts

Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15.

Posted By: TimS

Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. - 12/23/11 01:23 PM

For the 1st time I've tried the Eastwood product. For years I've used POR 15. POR 15 spreads very well with a sponge brush. The Eastwood stuff spreads like watered down paint. I had to use more coats. Anyone else notice this? Seems like the Eastwood product would be best sprayed on.
Posted By: 1969RR

Re: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. - 12/23/11 04:10 PM

Hello, Yes, I noticed the same thing. I used the Eastwood encapsulator first and didn't care for it at all. I went over everything a second time using POR15. I could tell which was better due to the fact that the Eastwood stuff would come off my hands fairly easy, the POR15, different story! Jeff
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. - 12/23/11 04:54 PM

I haven't used either but do want to make a point ...

rust is porous, therefore a "thinner" produxt would penetrate the rust whereas a thicker product will only cover it. Sometimes better results take a little more effort!
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. - 12/23/11 07:57 PM

I believe Eastwood is kind of like pre-thinned POR-15 to make it sprayable.
Just a theory...
Rust Bullet is thinner than POR-15 also.
I've tried thinning down POR-15 to spray it and then they seemed about equal.
Posted By: TimS

Re: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. - 12/23/11 11:04 PM

Quote:

I believe Eastwood is kind of like pre-thinned POR-15 to make it sprayable.
Just a theory...
Rust Bullet is thinner than POR-15 also.
I've tried thinning down POR-15 to spray it and then they seemed about equal.

Very good point. That would be my take. POR15 definately penetrates, no question there. It's an ease of application question but after trying both, POR 15 is much more user friendly when applying with a sponge brush, hands down. The Eastwood brand appears to be a spray gunners dream. Too thin and runny to sponge brush however.
Posted By: 68427vette

Re: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. - 12/24/11 12:08 AM

if you paint over the por15,, you must scuff/ cut it with at least 320 paper,, to give the next coat of paint something to bite onto,, otherwise your paint will chip, fall off,, jc
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. - 12/24/11 01:08 AM

The rocker panels on my pickup are starting to blister on the bottom. How effective do you think it would be to remove the small body plugs on the back side and pour/squirt Eastwood Rust Encapsulator inside and rock the truck back and forth???
Posted By: 340swing

Re: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. - 12/24/11 01:26 AM

Has anybody used por-15 then their ty-coat primer then paint it. They claim you can put the ty-coat on and it can be painted over with no adhesion problems. Has anybody tried this.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. - 12/24/11 02:42 AM

Quote:

Has anybody used por-15 then their ty-coat primer then paint it. They claim you can put the ty-coat on and it can be painted over with no adhesion problems. Has anybody tried this.

I've done (sprayed) a complete body (Cuda) in the clear POR-15, over all the lead and body filler, then coated with Dupont primer-surfacer, then primed/paint with no issues....paint has been on the car for 10+yrs,....and I didn't sand the POR-15 prior to sealing
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. - 12/24/11 03:58 AM

Quote:

How effective do you think it would be to remove the small body plugs on the back side and pour/squirt Eastwood Rust Encapsulator inside and rock the truck back and forth

Well you could do that if you're a sucker for punishment OR you could just buy their Internal Frame Coating.
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. - 12/24/11 04:11 AM

That's a good tip! I'll check it out.
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. - 12/25/11 04:42 AM

Quote:

The rocker panels on my pickup are starting to blister on the bottom. How effective do you think it would be to remove the small body plugs on the back side and pour/squirt Eastwood Rust Encapsulator inside and rock the truck back and forth???

We tried something similar on the quarters around the wheelwell. There wasn't much through rust and that was cut out and patched with steel. The POR15 was shot in 'till it was running out the drain holes. Still rusted (about 10 years including some winter use). Really was the wrong approach. If the surface can't be properly prepped a paint type finish coating will not work. Maybe Corroless if you want to import it, but even there its not made to be applied blind. Much better to use a product like Waxoyl (usually available from places that deal with Brit cars). LPV3 is/was a similar product if you don't have much to do as its available in spray cans.
Posted By: 70chall440

Re: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. - 12/25/11 05:01 AM

i have ried both the Eastwood product and POR, both do basically what they say they will. I recently tried Chassis Black from Monstaliner on the bottom and inside my Cuda, that stuff rocks! I spreayed it on; it goes on thin but sticks like nothing I have ever seen. I painted my 52 Dodge B2B with it as well. Didnt prep either and it really adheres to whatever you put it on. In fact I had painted one component of the truck that I needed to weld on later, so I tried to bead blast it off, it was very difficult to get off. I highly recommend it and will use it again.
Posted By: BEINGmeISaCRIME

Re: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. - 12/25/11 05:11 AM

I sprayed the underside of the charger using their rust encapsulator then did it with their extreme chassis black... here are the results.

Attached picture 6983414-IMG_1018.JPG
Posted By: BEINGmeISaCRIME

Re: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. - 12/25/11 05:12 AM

extreme black

Attached picture 6983416-IMG_1032.JPG
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. - 12/31/11 02:07 AM

I think the Rust Encapsulator sold now is thinner than it used to be. Zero Rust is a very similar product. I like it better. Alkyd enamels and moisture cured urethanes are worlds apart but the former is easer it use and seem to garner less complaints than the latter.
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. *DELETED* *DELETED* - 12/31/11 02:18 AM

Duplicate post deleted by 70Duster440
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. - 12/31/11 08:32 AM

HOW does some of this stuff work on edges of body-panels where they are folded-over then welded together ? ... like on the front leading edge of a hood.
Posted By: ramairthree

Re: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator VS POR 15. - 12/31/11 06:47 PM

I used the spray can rust encapsulator on the inside floor of the RR.
It looked great,
but wanted to give it something to last.
© 2024 Moparts Forums